4Runner and Towing, 0-20 or 0-30?

I have a 2015 Toyota 4Runner and tow a 3000 lb travel trailer. My question is would it be wise to switch to 0-30 M1 is the towing season/hot months? The 6 bannger in the 4Runner really winds up when towing, especially in the mountains, and temps run in the 90's to 100 in the summer months. I currently run M1 0-20 and change at 7k when towing, 10 k when not. Will the 0-30 be better protection?

Thanks

I would run a 5w30, 10w30 or m1 0w40. Although there is no real reason for @ 0w anything in the summer. A good synthetic 10w30 would be the best solution.
Have run all in mine and am confident in them.

The challenge in the mountains is not only the high rpms and grades, it is the lower boiling point and the fact that cooling systems get less efficient at higher altitude. Pulling. A trailer up grades in high alttitude I would definately step the HTHS to 3.0 or above.

Last edited:
0w40/5w40 is my go-to for any towing needs in the mountains. 0w30/5w30 would be fine just towing, or just mountains, but towing PLUS mountains is where I step it up to 0w40/5w40 shtuff. Gained that habit when I saw a dodge dakota go up a mountain with a camper trailer, and after a few uphills his engine started knocking... He had 5w30 in that 3.7L, according to the sticker.

0W-30 or even better 5w-30. A 5w-30 will do the job. The engine has an oil cooler. I have been running Ow-40 M1 in my sons 2006 4x4 Tacoma with the 4 cyl.

If i was winding up that lil 4 popper towing and roasting the oil i'd do 10w30. You're giving that poor thing the worst possible beating and bearings would be my worry. If just one is on loose side pressure may net be there.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
If i was winding up that lil 4 popper towing and roasting the oil i'd do 10w30. You're giving that poor thing the worst possible beating and bearings would be my worry. If just one is on loose side pressure may net be there.

It's a six cylinder motor.

I used Napa conventional 5W20 pulling my 5,000 lb Jeep on a 1800 lb trailer with about 500lb worth of spare parts in the bed of my old 2003 F150 5.4L up the Ike Gauntlet though the Rockies from Mass and then back again after two weeks, and didn't skip a beat.

I think the Mobil 1 0-20 would work fine. Changing to 0W30 would probably make you feel better.

How high are your Mtn's? If they are east coast at or below 6k I'd not worry about it, unless your oil temps are high. Out west it's mostly a cooling problem as the engine derates with altitude, unless you are supercharged.

Is that an automatic transmission? Again it's oil temperature that is the question.

I suppose driving technique in the mountains is off topic? Going down the hill can cause problems, too.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I think you would be fine with 0w-20. Does the owners manual state anything about severe driving or towing?

If I read it correctly 0-20 unless severe driving conditions but it give no specific recomendation.

Originally Posted by xyxptlx
How high are your Mtn's? If they are east coast at or below 6k I'd not worry about it, unless your oil temps are high. Out west it's mostly a cooling problem as the engine derates with altitude, unless you are supercharged.

Is that an automatic transmission? Again it's oil temperature that is the question.

I suppose driving technique in the mountains is off topic? Going down the hill can cause problems, too.

Idaho and PNW mountains. Auto trans with AM cooler.

Originally Posted by zonzin
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I think you would be fine with 0w-20. Does the owners manual state anything about severe driving or towing?

If I read it correctly 0-20 unless severe driving conditions but it give no specific recomendation.

Ok then 0w-30...

Do you have a temp gauge for oil and/or trans? These are important to monitor in addition to coolant temp. Also, how fast do you run on these grades? Huge difference in energy required to go 60 vs 70. If you can tolerate going a hair slower on inclines then your need for a thicker oil becomes less likely.

Back