$45k loan for a $27k car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

If one makes $150k a year, one can probably make the $2k a month payment on a Aston Martin, but one cannot "afford" it.

I guess it depends if they have a $3500 student loan payment, a $3000 mortgage, $1000 credit card minimums, Married with kids (tax deductions) or single.

If its 2 kids, married, no debts, reasonable $2,000 mortgage, then they have over 8k after taxes to spend/invest. Tax advantaged investment account limits could easily be met while paying for a $2,000 car payment.

But i agree that would be stupid to have a $2,000 car payment regardless of income. At least save half down and get that payment to 1k!

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by Slick17601
I don't like the fact that the article plays him up as a victim. No one held a gun to his head.

Being a 'victim' is the best strategy in modern America....right now it looks like all the 'victims' of college loan debt may
fare better than those who paid their way.

Schools used to teach 'home economics'.....now they teach 'social justice'....it's all part of 'dumbing down' (by design)....

Shhhh, don't tell the truth, many social media sites are silencing those that tell such truths which tells you how nefarious the plan really is.
The NWO plan never stopped being put into motion but the controlled media won't speak of it anymore.

I noticed as I searched for this video YT has a "disclaimer at the top of the page that claims the NWO is a "conspiracy theory" yet here is George 41 admitting their plan....

Last edited:
This is more common in the car market then people realize, and it forces people to buy more expensive new vehicles as the loan is typically approved for anywhere from 120-150% of the selling price of the vehicle,dependent on the down payment and credit score(s) of the buyer. In theory so that the dealer (and bank) can make more money on the finance of warranty products which aren't risky as those polices can be cancelled for a prorated refund if the vehicle is sold or destroyed. What has happened in the past few years is more and more middle class people just front loading that extra 20-50% with the negative equity of past auto loans, and the best part is not all states or lenders mandate GAP insurance on these loans, it's a crash waiting to happen.

A while back, someone mentioned they had a relative paying $600 a month for a base VW Jetta due to negative equity being rolled over and over....

Lots of younger folks don't understand financial principles and just know how to sign on the dotted line. Some older people feel they deserve _______ vehicle at a certain point in life cause they ‘worked hard' the past 25 years (Ego purchase).

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Java,

Lots of legitimate millionaires drive regular vehicles under $25K.

Today we have cash poor people that are over leveraged up to their eyeballs in debt..... but stand back and look at their big house and fancy cars thinking they are living the American Dream.
smirk.gif

My parents who are multi millionaires just bought there first car with keyless entry. A 2015 Outback base model with plastic hubcaps.it replaced there 2000 Subaru Forester base model with 200k.

A while back, someone mentioned they had a relative paying $600 a month for a base VW Jetta due to negative equity being rolled over and over....

Lots of younger folks don't understand financial principles and just know how to sign on the dotted line. Some older people feel they deserve _______ vehicle at a certain point in life cause they ‘worked hard' the past 25 years (Ego purchase).

How many of those young people grew up in homes where their parents prolly made similarly poor financial decisions? My guess would be a good chunk of them. So they weren't exactly getting a good example set for them. Not excusing personal responsibility but also not discounting the viciousness of this cycle of poor money mgmt. You add to that that they don't teach good money mgmt practices in HS and you have a recipe for disaster.

Truth is young people have been making poor decisions since the beginning of time, this is nothing new. It's just now the negative fallout of such poor choices is magnified more than ever before.

Last edited:
Quote:
"You add to that that they don't teach good money mgmt practices in HS and you have a recipe for disaster"

Yes, high schools and more importantly parents don't teach their teenage kids about the importance of a budget and managing their money.

I made some very bad financial decisions in my 20's.

I do have to admit I loved my IROC-Z with 5.7L engine and T-tops..... when I should have been driving a Honda CRX instead back in 1988. You only live once.

wink.gif

Originally Posted by dareo

If one makes $150k a year, one can probably make the $2k a month payment on a Aston Martin, but one cannot "afford" it.

I guess it depends if they have a $3500 student loan payment, a $3000 mortgage, $1000 credit card minimums, Married with kids (tax deductions) or single.

If its 2 kids, married, no debts, reasonable $2,000 mortgage, then they have over 8k after taxes to spend/invest. Tax advantaged investment account limits could easily be met while paying for a $2,000 car payment.

But i agree that would be stupid to have a $2,000 car payment regardless of income. At least save half down and get that payment to 1k!

If you need to borrow money from people for something you would like to buy, then you cant afford it, even if you want to make believe you have the money and income to purchase what you cant afford.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm more concerned about the lender than the "car owner" at this point. They can easily just walk away and let the bank repo, and then the bank will be losing.

You can blame the low interest rate for this, as people will try to find all sorts of way to keep up with their expected return. Financial education means nothing when people are getting away with it and others see that math doesn't have to work out when you can just walk away in a repo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear
To be honest I'm more concerned about the lender than the "car owner" at this point. They can easily just walk away and let the bank repo, and then the bank will be losing.

You can blame the low interest rate for this, as people will try to find all sorts of way to keep up with their expected return. Financial education means nothing when people are getting away with it and others see that math doesn't have to work out when you can just walk away in a repo.

Have you been reading the thread? Who cares if the bank is losing? That's what they signed up for. You can bet that they're not charging any low interest, probably at least in the 8-12% range if not higher. Probably state usury laws prevent them from going much higher than 20%. It's basically the same rate as an unsecured personal loan which is what the amount over the balance of the car is.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I'm not excusing personal responsibility but I think lenders are also preying on the "low info" consumer and the sub prime credit people. If you can't pay off a car in 5yrs or less, then buy a cheaper car more in line with your income and debt... that is what the finance guy should be telling people but obviously isn't. I've always said when the finance guy is able to do one of these loans where he's rolling thousands of negative equity into the new one...he gets to eat lobster for dinner that night....

These finance people have one job. And one job only. To separate you from as much of your money as possible. You don't loan money at 6% if someone is stupid enough to pay 15%. That is not "predatory lending". It's stupidity based on uninformed, and financially ignorant individuals. If you allow yourself to be financially taken advantage of, you will be. It's as simple as that.

I keep telling people, the last thing to appear on the bottom of the last page of ANY loan application, is your signature. No one is holding a gun to your head to sign. If you don't feel right about any of it, walk away. If you don't understand any or ALL of it, either walk away, or take someone with you who does, and can advise you.

But people don't. And they become victims of their own ignorance. This stuff isn't that hard to figure out. It's all basically simple 4th grade math. You multiply your total amount of monthly payments you are quoted. Then add your down payment. Then subtract the total cost of the vehicle you are quoted from the sum of that. If you wind up with a discrepancy of tens of thousands of dollars. (In this case $18K).... You stand up and walk out the door.

People can only be taken advantage of, if they allow themselves to be. They walk into these places like sheep headed to slaughter. Then complain when it happens. They shop for too expensive of a vehicle in the first place. Then wind up over paying for it, because of asinine interest rates, that create large monthly payments that go on seemingly forever. Within a year they are completely under water, because the thing depreciates faster than a losing lottery ticket. And they can't sell it for anything even close to what they owe.

Right away they blame the banks, credit unions, the dealership, or the salesman. You would think the housing crash of 2008-2009 would have smartened these people up a bit. But it has had the opposite effect. They are all marching right in to do the same thing with houses, cars, credit cards, name it. This is all going to end with another big bang. Even bigger than it did the first time. And when it does, just like the last time, people will be blaming everyone but themselves for it.

Can't wait for it to happen......I'll be there with cash in hand to buy a couple year old Lexus for pennies on the dollar!

Exactly, the lenders know exactly what they are getting into, their greed is what is driving this. Santander and other sub prime lenders can exceed 20% in certain states. Then you have buy here pay here stores selling old Jags, Infiniti's, BMW's and Rovers that shouldn't even be on the road safety wise, where the down payment is equal to the auction price of the vehicle + whatever they have in it and every payment the customer makes after that until it's repo'd is just gravy. It's pretty much just a licensed form of theft from uneducated consumers.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Exactly, the lenders know exactly what they are getting into, their greed is what is driving this. Santander and other sub prime lenders can exceed 20% in certain states. Then you have buy here pay here stores selling old Jags, Infiniti's, BMW's and Rovers that shouldn't even be on the road safety wise, where the down payment is equal to the auction price of the vehicle + whatever they have in it and every payment the customer makes after that until it's repo'd is just gravy. It's pretty much just a licensed form of theft from uneducated consumers.

Well I don't think this is political as it's an old saying, but now you know why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

How many of those young people grew up in homes where their parents prolly made similarly poor financial decisions? My guess would be a good chunk of them. So they weren't exactly getting a good example set for them. Not excusing personal responsibility but also not discounting the viciousness of this cycle of poor money mgmt. You add to that that they don't teach good money mgmt practices in HS and you have a recipe for disaster.

Truth is young people have been making poor decisions since the beginning of time, this is nothing new. It's just now the negative fallout of such poor choices is magnified more than ever before.

I agree. Monkey see monkey do. I know it was true for me, and i'm trying to make sure my kids get to see the other view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back