-40 Celsius and 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello so this winter here in edmonton I was thinking of trying a 0w30 rather then a 5w30 but the gm dealership only had there 5w30 full synthetic and said that's what they use for every vehicle year round. I guess this winter is colder then the past and it's currently -36 outside without windchill and later in the week we going to be hitting -40 Celsius to -38 Celsius without wind chill. I always plug the block heater In and I hope it's actuallt working but lately the truck has started fine when I remote start it. I was wondering if I made a big mistake going the 5w30 router rather then
0w30? Or Is the difference not that signification/only matters more at colder temps?

Thx

I believe the fact that you have a synthetic 5W30 is the key as synthetic can still flow when it's even colder outside. Maybe even closer to -50 C. so I think you're fine and your dealership is confident. And my thinking is, what did we do before 0W oils?

You said you have a block heater so I wouldn't worry about it but fwiw your truck will still start up but might turnover a bit slower at that low temp. You may not even notice it. I'd be more worried about my battery than the oil (a 5wX).

Originally Posted by Char Baby
And my thinking is, what did we do before 0W oils?

We stayed home and drank.....‚

Last edited:
The fact you are using a synthetic is the biggest factor supporting you. About 40 years ago your options would be limited to a 10W30 group I and engines started and ran fine.

-40, I'd personally got for the 0W.

That being said, the limit for the CCS and MRV for dexos are just over half the allowable, which should make a synthetic pretty close to a 0W (doubling of CCS/MRV per 5C).

A qualified oil is allowed to slip a grade in service, which should be moot with a proper synthetic...

You'll be fine, I'm sure...Iwould prefer 0W 'though.

I believe the fact that you have a synthetic 5W30 is the key as synthetic can still flow when it's even colder outside. Maybe even closer to -50 C. so I think you're fine and your dealership is confident. And my thinking is, what did we do before 0W oils?

That depends on pour point. Not all synthetics are created equal. Group III base stocks are not going to perform as well as Group IV, V or GTL. Many 5W30 oils have pour point around -40. For example Mobil1 5W30 Extended Performance has -42c bcs. it has healthy does of PAO base stocks. Many ILSAC GF-5 oils however will have higher pour point, somewhere around -38, -39c.
In Edmonton? I would run 0W30 all the time.

I am a thickie but during -40° winter and if I request 0W30, I wouldn't complain if 0W20 accidentally went in any of my newer cars
shocked2.gif
I would complain however if 5W went in by mistake!

btw, I would try to use block heater as much as possible plus 0W ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
I am a thickie but during -40° winter and if I request 0W30, I wouldn't complain if 0W20 accidentally went in any of my newer cars
shocked2.gif
I would complain however if 5W went in by mistake!

If vehicle is specifying ILSAC GF-5 oils, than probably 0W20 might be good option.
Not sure what vehicle we are talking about?

You will be fine with the block heater and even if you have to do a cold start at work or somewhere else it will still start. However, for next winter I would suggest you try a 0w30 as they are now more commonly available. I have Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30 in my Burb. There is a whole selection of 0w30s out there to chose from. You can use one of those infrared laser heat guns to check if your block heater is working or simply put you hand on a valve cover to feel for the warmth.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow

That being said, the limit for the CCS and MRV for dexos are just over half the allowable, which should make a synthetic pretty close to a 0W (doubling of CCS/MRV per 5C).

A qualified oil is allowed to slip a grade in service, which should be moot with a proper synthetic...

This. Completely correct. But I had to pause because the Aussie is telling a guy from Edmonton how to start a car in -40 weather. Shannow is a man of many talents.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I think that all that can be said for sure is that a 0W30 is going to give you a better shot to start in an extreme cold condition than a 5W30 with the same mileage/usage.
With a block heater, assuming that it is working, 0W vs. 5W isn't going to make a difference.
If the power goes out or your block heater fails, you might be fine in your conditions with a 5W30...but a 0W30 is a better percentage play.
As somebody else mentioned above, your battery condition is probably even more important than your oil choice!
Good luck!

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by Shannow

This. Completely correct. But I had to pause because the Aussie is telling a guy from Edmonton how to start a car in -40 weather. Shannow is a man of many talents.
smile.gif

Going totally off topic here, but, have you been affected by the wildfires, Shannow?
Heartbreaking to see the pics on the news here in the US...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
You said you have a block heater so I wouldn't worry about it but fwiw your truck will still start up but might turnover a bit slower at that low temp. You may not even notice it. I'd be more worried about my battery than the oil (a 5wX).

And my thinking is, what did we do before 0W oils?

We stayed home and drank.....‚

Oh my Goodness another male bonding event that has gone by????

Originally Posted by dave1251
The fact you are using a synthetic is the biggest factor supporting you. About 40 years ago your options would be limited to a 10W30 group I and engines started and ran fine.

I missed school a couple times the old '65 buick didn't turn over.

I think I had Esso gold 10W30 or Sinclair in there.

I think you are forgetting that cars use to be hard to start in the extreme cold.

But maybe you didn't live in a cold area in the 60's and 70's

Last edited:
It's -36c here at the moment. I'm pretty happy that I went with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my truck right now. I don't have a plugin outside the house at the moment and haven't been able to use the block heater or the battery blanket at all. The crank time before starting is marginally longer than when it's close to 0c and I'm surprised to say the least.

As others have mentioned not all synthetics are created equal. Some do have better cold flow characteristics than others, but we are light years ahead of the days where 10w30 conventional was the norm. From the limited amount of information I was able to gather on cold flow properties, Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum were near the best.

Originally Posted by nlife

It's -36c here at the moment ... I don't have a plugin outside the house at the moment and haven't been able to use the block heater or the battery blanket at all.

A battery at -36*c has roughly 20 % of its power. And your engine can be twice as hard to turn over as the oil thickens exponentially at these temps. The battery is what will fail. At these temps, an 0w oil can be the difference between the battery having just enough juice to start the engine, or not. And, you often get ONE CHANCE ONLY at getting it started before the battery dies.

If I had to pick one, it would be a battery blanket.

the cold oil spec is tested @ 40C thats 104 FAHRENHEIT!!!! from there everything is downhill! on machinery lubrication it showed how much THICKER an oil gets from there + it notes REAL synthetic PAO + Ester oils thicken a LOT less, so open your wallet + buy Redline or similar for faster flow that protects critical parts needing lubrication, of course other things help as well in some instances + locations.

Originally Posted by apollo18
Hello so this winter here in edmonton I was thinking of trying a 0w30 rather then a 5w30 but the gm dealership only had there 5w30 full synthetic and said that's what they use for every vehicle year round. I guess this winter is colder then the past and it's currently -36 outside without windchill and later in the week we going to be hitting -40 Celsius to -38 Celsius without wind chill. I always plug the block heater In and I hope it's actuallt working but lately the truck has started fine when I remote start it. I was wondering if I made a big mistake going the 5w30 router rather then
0w30? Or Is the difference not that signification/only matters more at colder temps?

Thx

Be sure you have a GOOD battery . Yes , wire up a timer to feed the block heater . Hopefully , the vehicle will be nice and warm when you drive off , and the heater is working well .

Best of luck to you ! :)

Would not trade location with you for all the tea in China . High yesterday was 70F , here . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back