40:1 Tru Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The saw in question is a '77 Farmboss 041. Of all my 2 stroke OPE, it is the most reliable and always starts. I used to mix 2 gallons at a time and often it was 2 yrs old before I finished it. The weed wackers and the Mantis are more problematic. As a result, I only mix a gallon of 32:1 at a time. I just mixed a new gallon and poured the end of the previous gallon into the Tru Fuel can. Yesterday, I used all the 2 month old stuff in my Lawn Boy mower. It ran fine.

I use tru fuel for my last tank of the season in all my small ope and then don’t bother to winterize anything or summerize in the case of my ice auger. I also will recommend these types of fuels to people who have no idea what they’re doing and are likely to eventually run straight gas and then say 2 strokes are junk.

Originally Posted By: Warlord
I use tru fuel for my last tank of the season in all my small ope and then don’t bother to winterize anything or summerize in the case of my ice auger. I also will recommend these types of fuels to people who have no idea what they’re doing and are likely to eventually run straight gas and then say 2 strokes are junk.
I have an 18 year old husky 324 or 5 weed eater [and blower] that until2011 did 3 acres fire control and lawn and 2 rentals and it still runs today with pump gas and bulk 2 stroke universal oil I buy from the lube distributer no magic Voo Doo I just hang it up until Spring and they both start right up in the spring if I use the choke and turn the ignition on. Marketing sure works.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I have an 18 year old husky 324 or 5 weed eater [and blower] that until2011 did 3 acres fire control and lawn and 2 rentals and it still runs today with pump gas and bulk 2 stroke universal oil I buy from the lube distributer no magic Voo Doo I just hang it up until Spring and they both start right up in the spring if I use the choke and turn the ignition on. Marketing sure works.

Must be nice to have quality gas. You should see the slop our fuel turns into. Although since I moved to Alberta the problem seems much less severe.

We have a station that sells E0. I put one gallon in the car to flush the hose, then fill my cans. I have water tested it, and it is truly alcohol free. I mix a gallon at 50 to one and fill a tru fuel can, use in blower since it has a tiny catalitic converter in the muffle, so the literature says anyway. Then I add oil to 32 to one and use the rest of the can in the lawnboy and string trimmer.

Rod

Here in Okla. we have stations around that sell alcohol-free gasoline. I only use it in my 2-cycles because of the whole fuel is your lubricant thing. I get the significantly cheaper ethanol blends for everything else. I will say I’ve used the premixed 40:1 and it works great. Not worth the price though, unless you live in an area that doesn’t sell alcohol-free fuel at the pump. I only got it because I was too lazy to go three miles down the road and mix my own.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Must be nice to have quality gas. You should see the slop our fuel turns into. Although since I moved to Alberta the problem seems much less severe.

I think the lack of humidity in Alberta plays a big part in a lack of issues with fuel containing ethanol.

Originally Posted by CT8
Tru fuel is a true rip off.

I used to believe that as well... Until I started thinking about it. First off, I use very little fuel. I keep a small Honda generator and a Kohler powered pressure washer ready to run at all times. (Both are 4-stroke engines). I cannot buy ethanol free fuel anywhere near me. And my local airport won't allow you to pump LL/100 into anything but aircraft. So I either have to screw around with 10% ethanol pump gas, and then waste time and money spending money on additives treating it.

Or else I can simply go to my local Home Depot less than a mile down the road. And buy a can of Tru Fuel and be done with it. It's non ethanol, 93 octane, and has a 2 to 5 year shelf life. And all I have to do it pour it in the tank, and pull the cord. By the time I buy the gas can, drive to the station and buy the gas. Then buy the Sta-Bil and the Ethanol Shield, (Which the manual tells you to use if you're running ethanol based fuel). Mix it, and hope I don't make a mess and / or spill anything, it's cheaper and a whole lot easier to simply buy the Tru Fuel. And it's better fuel.

If I had a lawn to mow every week, and was going through a half a gallon or more each time, then it's a different story. But for as much as I use my 2 pieces of power equipment now, I'm lucky to burn a half a gallon a year. For that it just doesn't pay to screw around mixing and blending gas. It's a PITA. Having done both, open and pour is much better.

I use Truefuel for winter storage of my string trimmer now. Was not overly impressed with spring start up using my regular ethanol blended gas/oil/stabil mix. I run just enough in the tank to flush the carb and shut her down. These last few seasons she starts right up and runs great. Then I make a 5 liter jerry of gas/oil/stabil mix to last me the summer.

My chainsaw now just uses truefuel as it rips very little every season (maybe half a tank) and I became rather tired of draining the tank/carb for extended periods of it sitting. If I need it for lots of cutting then she can get the gas/oil mix.

I will be running some truefuel in my old Lawnboy hand held blower this winter as I will store it inside and run it occasionally to dust off the snow on the sidewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back