4.5 V8 diesel twin turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,

Which one of these available oils in the KSA market would be suitable for 5000KM ? (BTW, I am using OEM oil filters from Toyota)

Here is the information about the oils:

1- Fuchs

2- Shell

3- Mobil

4- Petromin oils which are attached in the pictures.

Petromin Super Fleet LD.png

Diesel HD.png

Petromin Super Diesel Turbo.png

what vehicle?

PS that petromin looks terrible and the mobil pdf is from 2008.

Sorry I should have updated my signature.

It is 2020 Toyota Land cruiser 4.5 V8 twin turbo diesel

PS that petromin looks terrible and the mobil pdf is from 2008.[/quote]

This is the only version that I found online from Mobil in SA

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Toyota totally missed the boat not importing their diesels into the US.

Why? They're honestly not that great.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Back to my question, any advice?

Originally Posted by momo
Sorry I should have updated my signature.

It is 2020 Toyota Land cruiser 4.5 V8 twin turbo diesel

What is Toyota's recommendation for viscosity and specs?

What is the KSA market?

I have one, it would be competition in reliability with FIAT 500 and Chrysler 200.

Originally Posted by momo
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Back to my question, any advice?

Are there any ACEA C3 oils available?

That's because the price of diesel compared to gasoline is relatively much higher in the USA. Toyota is a very rational company and made a good decision based on the local market.

Here is an example of two stations 4 miles apart, in Sarnia, ON and Port Huron USA.

Esso Sarnia: Regular 109.6/L Diesel 122.3/L
equal to USD: 3.11/gal 3.48/gal 12% higher

Speedy PT Huron: Regular 2.47/gal Diesel $2.95/gal 19.5% higher

The differential is even greater when you take low cost sellers like Costco:
Costco Roseville MI
Regular: 2.19/gal Diesel: 2.79/gal 33% higher

Diesel light duty vehicles do not sell well in the US except for trucks with towing applications because of the cost differential of fuel, negating any mileage advantage, and the higher initial cost of diesel engines. In Ontario, and most other provinces in Canada, tax differentials favor the economics of diesel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NO2

That's because the price of diesel compared to gasoline is relatively much higher in the USA. Toyota is a very rational company and made a good decision based on the local market.

Here is an example of two stations 4 miles apart, in Sarnia, ON and Port Huron USA.

Esso Sarnia: Regular 109.6/L Diesel 122.3/L
equal to USD: 3.11/gal 3.48/gal 12% higher

Speedy PT Huron: Regular 2.47/gal Diesel $2.95/gal 19.5% higher

The differential is even greater when you take low cost sellers like Costco:
Costco Roseville MI
Regular: 2.19/gal Diesel: 2.79/gal 33% higher

Diesel light duty vehicles do not sell well in the US except for trucks with towing applications because of the cost differential of fuel, negating any mileage advantage, and the higher initial cost of diesel engines. In Ontario, and most other provinces in Canada, tax differentials favor the economics of diesel.

It is not that. Toyota is staying away on North America market from complex engines. Their diesel engines are average at best, and some are absolutely abysmal performance wise and reliability wise (this is especially true of small 2.0 D-4D engines they introduced in Europe some 15 years ago). This would not go well with their perception of reliability that people have.
I own Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 D-4D in Europe, and my BMW X5 35d was 10 times a vehicle compare tot hat one, especially when it comes to maintenance. In the end, Toyota is buying now diesel engines for smaller vehicles from BMW.
If Toyota had confidence in their engines they would fit LC with V8 for the US market. But also, that means they would have to fit SCR into LC, and all manufacturers have issues with that system.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
3000 km? its a overkill

Not exactly - the OP is based in Saudi Arabia, and is running diesel fuel with a sulfur content of 5,000 ppm in a desert environment.

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
3000 km? its a overkill

Not exactly - the OP is based in Saudi Arabia, and is running diesel fuel with a sulfur content of 5,000 ppm in a desert environment.

3,000km might eb an overkill, but definiately robust TBN is necessary. Is that V8 for that market equipped with any emission control systems?

Originally Posted by edyvw
3,000km might eb an overkill, but definiately robust TBN is necessary. Is that V8 for that market equipped with any emission control systems?

Things might have changed for MY2020, perhaps the OP can clarify. But the 2019 vehicles we have in the armored fleet do not.

Things might have changed for MY2020, perhaps the OP can clarify. But the 2019 vehicles we have in the armored fleet do not.

I would go with either designated HDDO or ACEA A3/B3 B4. I highly doubt anything changed for 2020 unless Saudi Arabia started to worry about environment
smile.gif

I would go with either designated HDDO or ACEA A3/B3 B4. I highly doubt anything changed for 2020 unless Saudi Arabia started to worry about environment
smile.gif

Toyota lists a CI-4 15W-40, although I reckon HDEO is the way to go.

They are pushing for it and are spending over $1 billion towards it. They had a joint venture for a clean fuels project with ExxonMobil, to drop sulfur content to 10 ppm for both gas and diesel. Not sure when it'll be completed, but its been ongoing since 2014.

Last edited:
smile.gif

Toyota lists a CI-4 15W-40, although I reckon HDEO is the way to go.

They are pushing for it and are spending over $1 billion towards it. They had a joint venture for a clean fuels project with ExxonMobil, to drop sulfur content to 10 ppm for both gas and diesel. Not sure when it'll be completed, but its been ongoing since 2014.

Well lowering sulfur level does not mean country will limit NOx emissions. So I think it is safe to say DPF and SCR will not find its way to vehicles there.
I would def. go with HDEO if sulfur levels are so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back