35 Step Guide To Changing Out Engine Coolant In Most Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buford, why don't you drink some of your 60:1 solution and report back to us?

grin.gif
tongue.gif

The ground doesn't care. I have done a few coolant changes on the personal vehicles for some police friends of mine and they don't care either.

Fish can't live in dirt. People don't drink it either.

The grass grows just fine where I usually do coolant changes.

I would recommend taking at least the first few dumpings to your local recycling center.
I am less than 1 mile from mine, provide FREE by my city.
One of those 15 quart oil drain containers works great.

There are no local recycling centers around here. I truly wish there was a place that recycled or properly disposed of paper, plastic, metal, glass, chemicals, etc.

My point was, using the 35 steps, that there really is no harm in dumping it on the ground especially with the amount of water from the back flushing.

Some people are a little too anal about the environment. Funny how they turn a blind eye to the land fills all their trash goes to but are up in arms over putting extremely diluted coolant on the ground.

quote:

Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:

Some people are a little too anal about the environment. Funny how they turn a blind eye to the land fills all their trash goes to but are up in arms over putting extremely diluted coolant on the ground.

...and some people are a little too anal about flushing their coolant system with a 35 step procedure, but that's okay because it is YOUR car and you can take care of it any way YOU want to. There is only ONE environment and it belongs to ALL of us.

"The solution to pollution is dilution." That was a popular saying in the 70s. There are too many people on this Earth nowadays for people to continue to believe and practice this.
DDT and MTBE in very low concentrations contaminated the environment and even after their ban, we are still seeing the bad effects lasting.

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
...and some people are a little too anal about flushing their coolant system with a 35 step procedure, but that's okay because it is YOUR car and you can take care of it any way YOU want to. There is only ONE environment and it belongs to ALL of us.

35 steps = Anal? Hardly. 35 steps = Properly done. My car runs great. If you have a better system then post it. If not then shut your lips. Now you and your friends can go and play in the land fill since it belongs to YOU.

I am under attack from Cally-forny-ans
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

[ July 10, 2006, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: Buford T. Justice ]

quote:

Originally posted by carock:
Wow, I don't know if it is really possible to legally perform this type of flush. You end up with 20 gallons of coolant/flush contaminated water to dispose.No shop could afford to do this. Also, the chemical flushes seem to create more problems than they solve IMHO. Maybe they are useful on some cars, but as a professional I could not risk using a chemical flush on a customer car. I wish I had known about coolant filters earlier, I would have recommended them to my clients with high mileage or classic cars.

create more problems than they are worth? elaboration please.

coolant filters? is this something you install somewhere in the cooling system? more info please

I had a blown headgasket I repaired about 7 months ago. I have yet to do a coolant flush and was thinking it is probably necessary, since I discovered the headgasket failure when i saw oil in the coolant reservoir.

Is the prestone flush stuff best or i found a reference to something called RMI-25 on another thread here.. http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=27

anyone have any input on the different chem flushes available?

[ July 23, 2006, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: prophecy ]

Try taking your old anti-freeze to a radiator or repair shop. I think even the these oil change shops like pennzoil take it. The local TSC (Tractor Supply Co) takes used oil.

I could get the flush and fill kit at my ace hardware but my car doesn't have a heater so where do I plug them? I live the in the tropic so no heater option in my 2003 Corolla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back