303 Oil Class Action Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey - I was contacted by lawyers who are administering a class action suit against Orschelin's (a mid-west farm supply outfit) for selling Hydraulic Oil labelled as 303 but is an inferior 'tailings' product that is in no way the same as the outdated 303 oil.

They are offering $27 per pail as recompense (and I had no claim for damage).

Anyway - given the oil is cheapo and damaging - does anyone know if I can add anything to the oil (lubricants / such as Case HTO?) to make it usable?

Advice gratefully received...

~Zip

You cant do anything which will make the oil better.
303 oil ranks up there with Gypsy barn painters and you'd think the rural community would know better by now.

You cant do anything which will make the oil better.
303 oil ranks up there with Gypsy barn painters and you'd think the rural community would know better by now.

303 is a solid oil if used in the correct application. The Super S 303 jug says 1975 and older. Gear drives aren’t too picky either.

If I read the OP correctly, the stuff Orscheln was selling didn’t even mean 303 specs.

303 is a solid oil if used in the correct application. The Super S 303 jug says 1975 and older. Gear drives aren’t too picky either.

If I read the OP correctly, the stuff Orscheln was selling didn’t even mean 303 specs.
Apparently the original 303 had whale oil in it? and there isn't a spec that makes it conform - that being said, I run a Case 580B - circa 1975 and I bought the oil to flush out the chocolate milk - ie inherently disposable. My other equipment gets good oil - 1845C (oil + HTO) and IH 1086 - HyTran

As the janky 303 is lacking anti-wear / lube additives - was wondering if there is any remedy. Anyway - I don't use the 580B very often and once flushed - I will put some decent oil in it

Thx

~Zip

We used Yellow Bucket 303 in many tractors over the years as well as other hydraulic systems. I simply didn’t know any better at the time. I can’t say it has damaged anything, at least not that I’ve found so far. I now only use JD Hygard in all the tractors though. Considering buying a drum this year.

We used Yellow Bucket 303 in many tractors over the years as well as other hydraulic systems. I simply didn’t know any better at the time. I can’t say it has damaged anything, at least not that I’ve found so far. I now only use JD Hygard in all the tractors though. Considering buying a drum this year.
The classaction suit is against Orscelin and coming against tractor supply

Why now? This is like the SA non detergent oil but I’ll get to that in a sec.

I mean these “303” fluids have been around for decades, even if they never met the original spec (probably impossible due to whale oil) Is there any evidence they caused significant harm during the past several decades? Older stuff probably is nowhere near as picky.

That’s like the old Case/Ingersoll HyDriv, it essentially calls for what amounts to 20W-40 motor oil (which obviously they had speced out from somewhere but most of us owners use 15w-40) just just dump in a big jug of rotella if you flush it out and it’s good to go.

That’s like outright banning 303 fluid, so because some people choose to be cheap and run it in a modern setup and ruin their equipment everyone has to suffer? Is there any consideration to those using it in older equipment where it works fine and they want to reduce cost? This same policing saw them pull a lot of ND 30 and older spec oils however the stuff still had uses. My one air compressor calls for ND30. I used to buy it at dollar general nice and simple. Now instead I’ve gotta drive 20 minutes to somewhere to get some and spend $4 for something that was $2.

When I had my old 84 Crown Vic it had some oil leakage I used to buy Accel 10W-40 SF grade for $.75 at Walmart. It was half the cost of the at the time SM oil. It was perfectly suitable for the use. Probably saved me a couple of hundred bucks over the several years I used it for oil changes, top offs etc.

So while you may not be able t9 make exacting 303 because of the whale oil, if the fluid in question is a suitable replacement and cheap they should be allowed to sell it to those who want it.

I thought the problem was who made the "303" oil in that some people just repaked line wash.

Not the spec was wacked just what was sold by certian suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back