3.5 Ecoboost Oil, I've decided.

I run pretty low miles on my 3.5EB. I've finally decided on my oil as long as it stays reasonably priced and performs as well with regard to fuel dilution and shearing in the SP GF-6 variant.

Castrol Edge every 12 months until out of Powertrain Warranty. Castrol Edge EP every 24 months after Powertrain Warranty (Not to exceed 10,000 mi OCI).

Now I'm sure this is going to cause a lot of uproar but I can find no correlation between fuel dilution level and drain interval or timing chain life and drain interval (as long as the IOLM Mileage isn't exceeded) The two highest mileage trucks I know have had 7,000 - 10,000 mi OCI and the two 11's I know with timing chain failure before 100,000 mi had 3,000 - 5,000 mi OCI.

Now 24 months is going off the reservation but I can't find a reason other than fear or speculation not to.

I have a 15 5.0 and sure glad I don't have to make that decision. Oilc choice is excellent but I would just say every 5k or 1 year. Pretty safe and not exactly expensive insurance.

Nothing wrong with Castrol other than their marketing and data sheets. Castrol makes some interesting claims I've posted about before.

I've run edge 0w40 or sometimes an hdeo 15w40 in mine and I have close to 120k on it now and it's still running great. (touch wood
smile.gif
)

most of my changes were somewhere around 10k usually between 8 and 10

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I have a 15 5.0 and sure glad I don't have to make that decision. Oil choice is excellent but I would just say every 5k or 1 year. Pretty safe and not exactly expensive insurance.

I've been putting 3,300 - 3,700 mi a year on it so a 10,000 mi OCI is unlikely.

My Mustang 5.0 Coyote looked beyond safe on 10,000 mi OCI. If you didn't run a TBN you couldn't tell the virgin and used reports apart. That was on plain old MC Blend 5W-20. Pre-GDI 5.0 seems to beyond kind to oil. It's like the old Lexus V-8.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gene K
I run pretty low miles on my 3.5EB. I've finally decided on my oil as long as it stays reasonably priced and performs as well with regard to fuel dilution and shearing in the SP GF-6 variant.

Castrol Edge every 12 months until out of Powertrain Warranty. Castrol Edge EP every 24 months after Powertrain Warranty (Not to exceed 10,000 mi OCI).

Now I'm sure this is going to cause a lot of uproar but I can find no correlation between fuel dilution level and drain interval or timing chain life and drain interval (as long as the IOLM Mileage isn't exceeded) The two highest mileage trucks I know have had 7,000 - 10,000 mi OCI and the two 11's I know with timing chain failure before 100,000 mi had 3,000 - 5,000 mi OCI.

Now 24 months is going off the reservation but I can't find a reason other than fear or speculation not to.

Have you run a UOA to know if fuel dilution is a problem?
My '17 Gen2 Ecoboost does not have that issue.... but I havent checked in a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
Nothing wrong with Castrol other than their marketing and data sheets. Castrol makes some interesting claims I've posted about before.

One thing that if not confirmed at least has some supporting evidence is it's resistance to shear especially in the presence of fuel.

Forgive me these are Blackstone UOA so I'm going to ignore their interpretation of fuel. All at 100C.

MC Blend 5W30 (365F Flash Point) - 7.8 cSt
Magnatec Syn 5W30 (360F Flash Point) - 8.2 cSt
Castrol Edge 5W30 (355F Flashpoint) - 9.9 cSt

If it were mine I wouldn't exceed 7.5K miles without doing a UOA first. If what I have read is true about DI engines, and gas getting into the oil, I would be scared to even go over 5K miles.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

If it were mine I wouldn't exceed 7.5K miles without doing a UOA first. If what I have read is true about DI engines, and gas getting into the oil, I would be scared to even go over 5K miles.

That's what we have been discussing on another post. On a friend's 3.5EB it appears to hit a max of 5% with 900 mi and then never get any higher until 10,000 mi. What I don't understand is how accurate these GC results are. How is it possible that it hits nearly 5% within a thousand miles and yet the oil doesn't move on the stick. Shouldn't it move up roughly a half quart? It also showed 1.5% at 9500 mi yet hadn't dropped any. I'm going to start a new topic.

I have a 15 5.0 and sure glad I don't have to make that decision. Oil choice is excellent but I would just say every 5k or 1 year. Pretty safe and not exactly expensive insurance.

My Mustang 5.0 Coyote looked beyond safe on 10,000 mi OCI. If you didn't run a TBN you couldn't tell the virgin and used reports apart. That was on plain old MC Blend 5W-20. Pre-GDI 5.0 seems to beyond kind to oil. It's like the old Lexus V-8.

Minor differences with tuning in the Mustang Coyote and the F150 version is my understanding. Looks like your particular Mustang is pushing a "tad" more than my Coyote I'm with you here. As to the 3.5 I'm a staunch 5k with any legit synthetic oil. That's just my comfort level. I've seriously considered a 2020 Expedition and that is the 3.5 Eco as well.
banana2.gif

Minor differences with tuning in the Mustang Coyote and the F150 version is my understanding. Looks like your particular Mustang is pushing a "tad" more than my Coyote I'm with you here. As to the 3.5 I'm a staunch 5k with any legit synthetic oil. That's just my comfort level. I've seriously considered a 2020 Expedition and that is the 3.5 Eco as well.
banana2.gif

Well that was when it was essentially stock. I don't follow my own advice to follow the manual now that it makes 700 bhp. It has 10W-30 Synthetic in it.

Originally Posted by buster

One thing that if not confirmed at least has some supporting evidence is it's resistance to shear especially in the presence of fuel.

Forgive me these are Blackstone UOA so I'm going to ignore their interpretation of fuel. All at 100C.

MC Blend 5W30 (365F Flash Point) - 7.8 cSt
Magnatec Syn 5W30 (360F Flash Point) - 8.2 cSt
Castrol Edge 5W30 (355F Flashpoint) - 9.9 cSt

The shear stability of Edge does appear to be good. That's one area Mobil 1 does not do that well in.

The 3.5L EB is not known to have any significant dilution issue. Any random synthetic 5W30 changed at regular intervals should do fine. They aren't picky engines, except for the internal water pump on those transverse mounted in FWD biased vehicles.

penny wise + $$$$ foolish they say!! those turbos are prolly 5G each installed + like clean quality oil!!! your $$$$$, a 50G truck + people cheap out on cheap DIY oil changes!!

Last edited:
It's your money and your vehicle. If I were to put so few miles on my vehicle per year, I would change it annually.

Looks to be a roughly $30 oil change. Don't think I'd extend a short-tripped ecoboost engine in order to save $30/year. That's just me though.

Originally Posted by benjy
penny wise + $$$$ foolish they say!! those turbos are prolly 5G each installed + like clean quality oil!!! your $$$$$, a 50G truck + people cheap out on cheap DIY oil changes!!

No idea what they cost installed.
I don't even like the dealer doing warranty work.
Takes to long to fix the stuff they broke or did wrong.
They run $400 - 700 each depending on year.
Of course if you actually blow a turbo (as opposed to just a leaking seal) you are likely going to end up replacing both plus a charge cooler.

Back