3.2 V6 Cayenne oil help

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 cayenne 3.2, I had it serviced when under warranty at the dealer and at random places since. Always full synthetic, Changed at 5-6k intervals, but who knows which weights were used. I think it calls for either a 0w-40 or 5w-30.

Little under 200k miles, and still running great. Peeking in the fill hole, it's dark and gunky looking. I own various other vehicles that I've had since new with higher miles. None appear this nasty, one still looks new.

Anyways, looking to change my oil own from now on to keep this thing on the road for as long as possible. I still love it.

Known to have timing chain issues, so not sure a certain weight oil would even help with this?

Mobil 1 suggests 5w-30 ESP. Not much info online, but VW people like to use rotella t6. Unsure how different the motors are, but a 15w-40 diesel oil seems too heavy?

take a look with a borescope (cheap from amazon) and see how bad it it. At 12 years and 200K miles i would be very hesitant to change anything to clean the gunk. You start adding solvents and additives to clean the gunk and it very well might spring a leak or worse break off a big chunk that clogs up an already partially clogged oil port.

Gunk could be coolant as well. you will want to keep an eye on coolent loss and maybe a UOA looking for coolent in the oil. You are correct, synthetic should not gunk up like that.

PCV as well.

Its not going to last forever but I've seen some slow declines where they consume oil, sputter spit but still go for ever. If you never plan on getting rid of the truck eventially you will see its last day. Of course the last day is only defined by when you stop putting money into it.
smile.gif
Of course in theory you could over the years replace everything except the frame and make it last forever if you want. >

Your manual may recommend a grade but it requires an approval. Whatever that is (A40?) the grade is largely irrelevant. Do not focus on grade, focus on the approval.

Originally Posted by Abax25
2007 cayenne 3.2, I had it serviced when under warranty at the dealer and at random places since. Always full synthetic, Changed at 5-6k intervals, but who knows which weights were used. I think it calls for either a 0w-40 or 5w-30.

Little under 200k miles, and still running great. Peeking in the fill hole, it's dark and gunky looking. I own various other vehicles that I've had since new with higher miles. None appear this nasty, one still looks new.

Anyways, looking to change my oil own from now on to keep this thing on the road for as long as possible. I still love it.

Known to have timing chain issues, so not sure a certain weight oil would even help with this?

Mobil 1 suggests 5w-30 ESP. Not much info online, but VW people like to use rotella t6. Unsure how different the motors are, but a 15w-40 diesel oil seems too heavy?

For an older Porsche, you could use about anything that says Porsche A40 on it. Walmart has those. For some unknown reason, Porsche originally said to use Porsche C30 or VW 504 oil which is lower saps for low sulphur fuel, which was rare in N. America 10 years ago but now is a common enough, so Porsche C30 is also of course fine (example Mobil1 ESP 0w30 or 5w30) now in 2019 with low sulphur fuel common.
Really any name synthetic brand oil with HTHS between 3.3 and 4.0 would work well in an older Porsche.

It is a good time to use what The_Critic used recently. It cleans out all the carbon junk on the pistons in an older engine using POE and AN with Premium Blue detergents, great cleaner:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/1/main/316395/type/thread
Of course that is drastic and maybe too much for your needs, so you could just do a couple of short 3,000 mile oil changes on walmart 0w-40 (castrol or mobil1 varieties).

Originally Posted by Abax25

15w-40 is not too heavy for that engine. Rotella T6 isn't a bad idea either. Both have HTHS in the 3.3 to 4.0 range for you.

These motors do great on almost anything, 0/40-15/40. SHorter runs with the 15.40 will help clean it all out, usually the HD oils have extra detergents.

VR6 is tough on oil, but not picky.

If climate allows, just use HD oil like Rotella or Delo, a 10w-30 maybe mixed with 15w-40. Change it out frequently until you need a winter oil, then use a 5w-40 HD. 0w-40 or spec oil is pointless in this engine except maybe extended drains. Porsche A40 and VW 502 are the same, JUNK that you pay extra for the junkie approval.

With the weak sealing systems of the VR6, I would also consider a good 10w-40 hi miles, like Maxlife, which quiets the lifters nicely.

Originally Posted by Zolton
VR6 is tough on oil, but not picky.

If climate allows, just use HD oil like Rotella or Delo, a 10w-30 maybe mixed with 15w-40. Change it out frequently until you need a winter oil, then use a 5w-40 HD. 0w-40 or spec oil is pointless in this engine except maybe extended drains. Porsche A40 and VW 502 are the same, JUNK that you pay extra for the junkie approval.

With the weak sealing systems of the VR6, I would also consider a good 10w-40 hi miles, like Maxlife, which quiets the lifters nicely.

Upon further inspection, it's not "terrible" But far from a clean cylinder head.

Rotella t6 has changed so many times over the years, it's hard to keep up with it. Good to see it's still being recommended.

I will go the 5w-40 T6 route, and lower my intervals to 4500-5500

Thanks guys

. Porsche A40 and VW 502 are the same, JUNK that you pay extra for the junkie approval.

lol.gif

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is $5 a quart all day, every day - same as Rotella T6.

OP, I'd be very surprised if your engine was anything but spotless inside, especially if it has been serviced as you say.

Rotella 10w-30 is about the same as 5w-40 in the cold anyway, so no real need for a "synth" oil in these Euro non-turbo engines, not even DI ones.

HT/HS of 3.5cP and good additives is all you need, HD 10w-30 weight has it for $10/g.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
. Porsche A40 and VW 502 are the same, JUNK that you pay extra for the junkie approval.

lol.gif

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is $5 a quart all day, every day - same as Rotella T6.

OP, I'd be very surprised if your engine was anything but spotless inside, especially if it has been serviced as you say.

lol, do you really think with Mobil 1 you're not paying for the label? Wow, ok.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're a fool to think that an HDEO 10W-30 and a properly formulated oil with European approvals are even in the same league.

M1 FS 0W-40 is an approved lubricant for his engine and has been used in every Porsche (including their race cars) for 10+ years.

HDEO 10W-30 is for agricultural equipment.

Rotella 10w-30 is about the same as 5w-40 in the cold anyway, so no real need for a "synth" oil in these Euro non-turbo engines, not even DI ones.

HT/HS of 3.5cP and good additives is all you need, HD 10w-30 weight has it for $10/g.

Who let this guy in again?

The only fool is the person who resorts to personal insults.

We're talking about VW 502, which is a lame old spec that you know nothing about, dummy.

The only fool is the person who resorts to personal insults.

We're talking about VW 502, which is a lame old spec that you know nothing about, dummy.

10-9-8-7-6 …...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back