27/18k portable genset oil.

Just purchased a new generator, rated 27k starting 18k continuous w/ 999cc v twin engine, (appears a chonda-china motor) powerhorse from Northern Tool. Will be used in Florida for power outages during Hurricaine season. 10w30 is what is recommended but I have a surplus of wm clearance valvoline 15w40 diesel oil. The board seems to use diesel oil in OPE so I figured this should be a good choice being its always a zillion degrees in Florida.

15w-40 should be fine in Florida. I run 5w-40 T6 in my generators up north here because they could be called upon to run anywhere between zero and 100 degrees. If faced with a multi day outage in the summer I might also switch to 15w-40. Luckily we've never had such an event. Hopefully you won't have one either, but it pays to be prepared.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
15W-40 is ideal

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
15w-40 should be fine in Florida.

Agreed, This is the "go to" oil

Originally Posted by Eddie
Gee the manufacture must be stupid to recommend 10w30?

I was thinking the same thing. "They must not know that BITOG recommends diesel oil in most OPE applications". Not to mention I have 30 gallons of Valvoline conventional 15w40 diesel oil that I need to put in something. I got a WM clearance deal @ 5 bucks a jug a while back so Ive been using it in my mower, other three generators and my air cooled four wheeler and sons air cooled dirtbike.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Originally Posted by Eddie
Gee the manufacture must be stupid to recommend 10w30?

I was thinking the same thing. "They must not know that BITOG recommends diesel oil in most OPE applications". Not to mention I have 30 gallons of Valvoline conventional 15w40 diesel oil that I need to put in something. I got a WM clearance deal @ 5 bucks a jug a while back so Ive been using it in my mower, other three generators and my air cooled four wheeler and sons air cooled dirtbike.

Ha Ha Ha!

Just purchased a new generator, rated 27k starting 18k continuous w/ 999cc v twin engine, (appears a chonda-china motor) powerhorse from Northern Tool. Will be used in Florida for power outages during Hurricaine season. 10w30 is what is recommended but I have a surplus of wm clearance valvoline 15w40 diesel oil. The board seems to use diesel oil in OPE so I figured this should be a good choice being its always a zillion degrees in Florida.

Break in with factory fill.
Then go to your 15w 40 stash.
You're ok in FL with a little heavier grade.

Does it have a pump or is it splash lubed? You dont want to be too this at start on a splash since its full load at a cold start.
I'm guessing a V - twin would have a filter like the Kawi's in the lawn tractors
That should be fine on the 15W40 specially since you will be powering your central AC

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Does it have a pump or is it splash lubed? You dont want to be too this at start on a splash since its full load at a cold start.
I'm guessing a V - twin would have a filter like the Kawi's in the lawn tractors
That should be fine on the 15W40 specially since you will be powering your central AC

Its got an oil pump, canister oil filter and a large oil cooler too.

I hope you have lots of gas to feed the generator.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks

Break in with factory fill.
Then go to your 15w 40 stash.
You're ok in FL with a little heavier grade.

No factory fill, shipped empty so its first fill was the valvoline conventional diesel 15w40.

Originally Posted by Donald

I have a transfer pump from the boat, so 80 gallons on standby. Hope to never need that much fuel but you never know.

Originally Posted by Donald

I have a transfer pump from the boat, so 80 gallons on standby. Hope to never need that much fuel but you never know.

It runs at 3600 RPM all the time, as you draw more electricity it puts more load on the engine and uses even more gas.

Back