2022 Accord 2.0T | Valvoline HM 5W-30 | 4233mi

Interesting that fuel fluctuates that much...yet I could swear that I actually went from stage 2 to stage 3.
Stage 2 : +30HP (282) | +50lbft (323)
Stage 3: +50hp (302) | +96lbft (369)
Switched to Valvoline 5w30 EP now that I have ran out of HM.

BIG Thank you to Oil Analyzers. I shipped my sample in mid august and it must have gotten lost in shipping. I didn't write down the tracking number for some reason (maybe I was in a rush) and the guys there told me that if it doesn't arrive in 2 weeks (4 weeks total) they would send me a new kit. It arrived over night! But wow this sample did manage to get lost for over 2 months. By now, I will already be at my next 4k mile OCI this week.
OIl Analysis.png

Looks good. 9.1 is a heavy 20 so it thinned a little. Why not use 0/5w-40 in a tuned engine.

That is exactly what you want to see with today's engines. Fuel there but you've only went 4.3k miles & the wear is trending down a bit. Really good results! Thanks for sharing.
Yep.
From new:
Aluminum down from 10 to 4
Iron down from 9 to 5
Copper down from 10 to 1
Silicon down from 39 to 14

I don't think I changed my driving any between changes. I have the same schedule week in week out, so I wonder why the fuel went down but from 4% to 2% could just be a climate think or I changed the oil hot instead of cold (don't remember).

Looks good. 9.1 is a heavy 20 so it thinned a little. Why not use 0/5w-40 in a tuned engine.
I could be completely wrong (someone who knows better could correct me) but 5w30 should be fine for this motor. As far as I know, the Civic Type R likes 5w30 as well even on track, so I don't see much of a reason to go with 5w40. Although this is a "stage 3 tune", this is very mild for this motors capability (I am boost limited). On the highest off the shelf tune I am only scratching the surface of what you can do on stage 1 with civic type r/integra type s. My opinion is 5w30 should do fine and I don't drive it hard often, its a mom sedan after all, only reason for the tune, is stage 3 has a much better top end (I drive mostly highway) and stage 2 was mapped for good low end where I rarely drive, so I just wanted more oomph on the highway. From the Type R forums many run 5w30 on the track with no issues. I think most of my wear will come from pump-ability to the turbo on a cold start, and in the winter plan to run a 0w30 or 0w20.

I could be completely wrong and maybe I should be running a 40 weight.

Last edited:
With any Honda engine look at euro manuals, they prefer 0/40 or 5/40. Honda runs high rpms. I prefer an oil that has a HTHS greater than 3.5 also with higher levels of ZDDP. Thin oils for fuel economy is garbage. Doesn’t make a difference for you and I. Spend some time in the euro oil forums.

I could be completely wrong (someone who knows better could correct me) but 5w30 should be fine for this motor. As far as I know, the Civic Type R likes 5w30 as well even on track, so I don't see much of a reason to go with 5w40. Although this is a "stage 3 tune", this is very mild for this motors capability (I am boost limited). On the highest off the shelf tune I am only scratching the surface of what you can do on stage 1 with civic type r/integra type s. My opinion is 5w30 should do fine and I don't drive it hard often, its a mom sedan after all, only reason for the tune, is stage 3 has a much better top end (I drive mostly highway) and stage 2 was mapped for good low end where I rarely drive, so I just wanted more oomph on the highway. From the Type R forums many run 5w30 on the track with no issues. I think most of my wear will come from pump-ability to the turbo on a cold start, and in the winter plan to run a 0w30 or 0w20.

I could be completely wrong and maybe I should be running a 40 weight.
I agree with you. Wear metals look good, oil is staying in grade. I see nothing in your report that says a 40 grade oil would be an improvement.

With any Honda engine look at euro manuals, they prefer 0/40 or 5/40. Honda runs high rpms. I prefer an oil that has a HTHS greater than 3.5 also with higher levels of ZDDP. Thin oils for fuel economy is garbage. Doesn’t make a difference for you and I. Spend some time in the euro oil forums.
This isn't the honda engine's of old. This one is capped at a lower RPM since this is a turbocharged engine. My 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.2. Close enough. Too much ZDDP in turbocharged applications isn't a good idea either. Unless someone can offer evidence that the 0w40 is worth the extra 10$ per qt and can make my wear metals go down to literal zero (which is physically impossible) I don't think I will bother until I run out of all my 5w30 stock.

And yes, I checked the EU/Global manual for my engine :) 40 weights are nowhere in sight for any turbocharged honda.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-02 072140.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 072140.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 31
This isn't the honda engine's of old. This one is capped at a lower RPM since this is a turbocharged engine. My 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.2. Close enough. Too much ZDDP in turbocharged applications isn't a good idea either. Unless someone can offer evidence that the 0w40 is worth the extra 10$ per qt and can make my wear metals go down to literal zero (which is physically impossible) I don't think I will bother until I run out of all my 5w30 stock.

And yes, I checked the EU/Global manual for my engine :) 40 weights are nowhere in sight for any turbocharged honda.
Mobil1 0W40 FS is going for $26.xx for 5qt in Wal mart. In your engine, I would run strictly Euro oils. It is not wear. UOA is not about engine wear but about oil conditions.
That is established since site inception.

I run 0/40 M1 in my 2020 Acura RDX 2.0L Turbo no issues, no loss in mpg. I also prefer to have a higher HTHS for a boosted engine which she’s fun to drive in VTEC.

Reactions: wlk
Back