2021 Acura TLX Type S's 3.0L V-6 Makes 355 HP, 354 LB-FT

355 HP from a turbo 3.0L V6 nowadays is not much of an achievement considering there's plenty of N/A V6's pushing close to 300 HP. Not to say the 2021 TLX is not a fine car, just that getting 65 HP from turbo charging a modern V6 isn't really something to write home about.

Most of those V6's that are at or above 300hp are also at least a half liter bigger than this motor. When you look at one of the older 3.0 liter motors at 240hp you're talking about getting over 100+ more out of that displacement. And Honda LOVES to build a bunch of different versions of the same basic motor. Look how long the J Series has been in cars. Punch this new one out to 3.5L and tune it for low end and you have a great candidate for the bigger SUV's and Ridgeline.

As cautious and slow as Honda is to adopt 'new' things, this will probably be a very good motor. I'm a little more concerned about the 10 speed trans being able to put up with more than 350hp. It took them a few years to get the 5 speed right in my cars, so I'm on the fence about this one, although its been banging around in Accords and Odysseys for a while now.

Reactions: Ws6
Ford is not Japanese.

Oh, Ford’s not Japanese?

Thanks for pointing that out, Cap’n Obvious!

LOL

Sorry, missed that part of your post.

The only Japanese turbo V6 I can think of off the top of my head is the current Lexus LS. It has a version of the Toyota corporate V6, with twin turbos.

And, rumor has it that the new Tundra will also have a version of that engine...tuned for pickup duty, obv.

Oh, Ford’s not Japanese?

LOL

The only Japanese turbo V6 I can think of off the top of my head is the current Lexus LS. It has a version of the Toyota corporate V6, with twin turbos.

And, rumor has it that the new Tundra will also have a version of that engine...tuned for pickup duty, obv.
Yes, hence my excitement. Mazda plans to go i6, as well, I'm reading. Japan is finally going to put some power in their SUVs, it seems. I've been wanting a powerful suv, but just couldnt bring myself to buy a Chrysler or euro. I'm excited for how this plays out, and the Acura sedan is just the starting of that, imo

Yes, hence my excitement. Mazda plans to go i6, as well, I'm reading. Japan is finally going to put some power in their SUVs, it seems. I've been wanting a powerful suv, but just couldnt bring myself to buy a Chrysler or euro. I'm excited for how this plays out, and the Acura sedan is just the starting of that, imo
They do not have anymore options due to emission standards, CAFE, etc. Now, they have to assemble that in good performance package, so considering how long it took them to get on turbo and DI train, let's give them 20-30 years.

They do not have anymore options due to emission standards, CAFE, etc. Now, they have to assemble that in good performance package, so considering how long it took them to get on turbo and DI train, let's give them 20-30 years.
They just dont compete, imo. I've owned several American and several Japanese vehicles, and the Japanese vehicles are just better made. I like a lot of the design and mechanical layout of American vehicles, though, finding many Japanese vehicles "backwards", mechanically (I mean...caliper pistons that screw in!? Fuel systems without a filter that can be accessed!?), but the quality is unmatched. I used to hate Japanese cars, because of my upbringing ("full frame, rwd,American v8, or its trash!"), but experience has changed that.

Oh, Ford’s not Japanese?

LOL

Nissan has a 3.0L twin turbo V6 putting out 400HP in the Q50 Red Sport.

Thanks for that reminder. I’d forgotten also.
I guess part of the reason I did was my poor experience as a 370Z owner, which to be fair, also had a LOT to do with the dealership, but that doesn't excuse the 370Z completely. I kindof view Nissan as "Japan's Chrysler". Super cheap products, some corners cut. Toyota or Mazda or Subaru may not offer a feature, while Nissan will, because Nissan will use spit and chewing gum to come in under budget while still offering it, while the others kinda have a standard and just won't do it, is how I feel on it.

Seeing what Honda can do with 1.5L of displacement I can just imagine how great of a fuel diluter this engine will be with 3.0L of displacement! :)

Seeing what Honda can do with 1.5L of displacement I can just imagine how great of a fuel diluter this engine will be with 3.0L of displacement! :)
Their 2.0 does just fine. I think the 1.5 is an isolated issue, or at least, it seems to be.

Back