2020 Veloster N oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by VelosterN
Plus the Euro version of this car I30n has the exact same drivetrain and its manual says to use "ACEA C2 or higher".

There is no such thing as ACEA C2 or higher! Hyundai engineers need to do some more work obviously to catch up. This is ongoing issue apparently with Huyndai manuals for years.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Plus the Euro version of this car I30n has the exact same drivetrain and its manual says to use "ACEA C2 or higher".

There is no such thing as ACEA C2 or higher! Hyundai engineers need to do some more work obviously to catch up. This is ongoing issue apparently with Huyndai manuals for years.

Agreed...

Manual for my 1.6T says use ACEA A5 or above.. then goes on to say if A5 is not available use ILSAC GF-3 or above or ACEA A3 or above..

Huge difference in oil quality and viscosity ranges with their verbiage. Not to mention they recommend QS which doesn't offer and A5 oil or and A3 oil to my knowledge. Hyundai needs to just pick a spec and the verbiage needs to be more clear. It's nice you can basically pick whatever you want, but for many it's confusing.

Long story short. Use a good Synthetic 5w30 SN+ oil or if you want to go thicker use a good Euro oil. Low saps Euro oils will be better for LSPI, which I don't think has even been an issue for Hyundai 2.0T engines and was only an issue on 1st year 1.6T 201hp Velosters several years ago.

There is no such thing as ACEA C2 or higher !

Ummm, yes there is ... revised by ACEA 2016 / 2018. C5 is the 20 grade Euro oil spec. Mobil 1 ESP 0w20 X2 is C5.

C: Catalyst & GPF/DPF compatible Engine Oils for Gasoline & Diesel Engines - "Low SAPS"
Note: These Oils will increase the DPF/GPF and TWC life and maintain the Vehicle's Fuel Economy.
Warning: Some of these Categories may be unsuitable for use in certain Engine Types - consult the vehicle- OEM's owner's manual/handbook in case of doubt.

C1 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Lowest SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 mPaâ‹…s.

C2 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 mPaâ‹…s.

C3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPaâ‹…s.

C4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Low SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPaâ‹…s.

C5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, for further improved Fuel Economy, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable and OEM-approved for use of Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.6 mPaâ‹…s.

SAPS: Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus, Sulphur
HTHS: High Temperature High Shear Viscosity
DI: Direct Injection
DPF: Diesel Particle Filter
GPF: Gasoline Particle Filter
TWC: Three-Way Catalyst

Last edited:
Decided to just use the Castrol Edge I got for the first few changes then move on to the Ravenol REP I got.

Castrol Edge HTHS 3.0 in the winter, Ravenol REP HTHS 3.7 in the summer (thicker for higher temperatures) might be the best strategy.

Decided to just use the Castrol Edge I got for the first few changes then move on to the Ravenol REP I got.

EDGE 5W-30 will be fine year round. HT/HS of ~3.5 isn't necessary unless track days become reality. But oils with 3.5 won't hurt anything either.

Great car, enjoy it.

Originally Posted by geeman789

There is no such thing as ACEA C2 or higher !

Ummm, yes there is ... revised by ACEA 2016 / 2018. C5 is the 20 grade Euro oil spec. Mobil 1 ESP 0w20 X2 is C5.

C: Catalyst & GPF/DPF compatible Engine Oils for Gasoline & Diesel Engines - "Low SAPS"
Note: These Oils will increase the DPF/GPF and TWC life and maintain the Vehicle's Fuel Economy.
Warning: Some of these Categories may be unsuitable for use in certain Engine Types - consult the vehicle- OEM's owner's manual/handbook in case of doubt.

C1 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Lowest SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 mPaâ‹…s.

C2 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 mPaâ‹…s.

C3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPaâ‹…s.

C4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Low SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPaâ‹…s.

C5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, for further improved Fuel Economy, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable and OEM-approved for use of Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.6 mPaâ‹…s.

SAPS: Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus, Sulphur
HTHS: High Temperature High Shear Viscosity
DI: Direct Injection
DPF: Diesel Particle Filter
GPF: Gasoline Particle Filter
TWC: Three-Way Catalyst

Ummm, no there is not. ACEA C specifications are specific to engines, not development. There are updated sequences within that same specification that you wrongly indicated as further development. C2 and higher does not mean it is better or more suitable for a car. C2 is lower HTHS for example than C3. Just because 3 is higher than 2 DOES NOT mean it is suitable for a specific car where ACEA C2 is specified. On that note, most European diesel, and when I say most, I mean 80% at least, are specified for ACEA C3. That does not mean they could use C4 or C5.
On this note, Hyundai has same language for ACEA A3 oils. I am not sure in which universe ACEA A5 is compatible with ACEA A3, but in this in which we live in, it is not.
By the way, I know all those shortcuts. I worked on development of C3 oil. People who employed me thought I should know those things.

Last edited:
edyvw, No doubt Hyundia (and Kia does it too?) makes a stupid statement by saying "or above" on those ACEA specs they call for.
You are right, for example, as ACEA C5 might be said to be "above" C2 since 5 > 2, in our minds. In reality, C5 is a low HTHS oil not suitable in C2 applications, so "above" makes no sense.

The only way you can make sense of it is to say they are forcing us to pick a spec that is "above" or better than C2, which would be MB 229.61 for example. That is one possible interpretation of the Korean-to-English manual they gave us. (Lost in translation possibly.)

Now for "above SN+ GF-5" its more clear: That's dexos1 which includes SN+ GF-5 as a subset in most cases.
So maybe Hyundai-Kia is really trying to get us to use dexos1 oil, better (above) SN+ GF-5.

Please stop saying dexos1. I'm easily confused. It's Dex1 Gen2 or D1G2. Dexos1 is an outdated spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Please stop saying dexos1. I'm easily confused. It's Dex1 Gen2 or D1G2. Dexos1 is an outdated spec.

dexos ( small d) comes in dexos1 for gasoline and dexos 2 for diesel.

Originally Posted by wemay

EDGE 5W-30 will be fine year round. HT/HS of ~3.5 isn't necessary unless track days become reality. But oils with 3.5 won't hurt anything either.

Great car, enjoy it.

Agreed. Plus that Edge is $22 a 5qt Jug at Amazon or Walmart everyday and easy to find.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Funny how GM doesn't want a capital D. I drop the "Gen2" part because they haven't been able to legally make Gen1 for 2 years now. You can't buy it unless its been sitting on the shelf for a long time, which happens, sure, rarely.

There is dexos1, dexosD, and dexos2 : Actually all 3 can be used in gasoline engines these days, with the new low-sulphur gasoline. Corvette has dexos2 0w40 specifyed. Europe has been running dexos2 in gasoline engines for years now too. I can use a dexosD in my '19 Tiguan (Mobil1 ESP x2 0w20 rated vw 508 & dexosD).

[Linked Image from gmdexos.com]

Ok then. dex1 gen2 or d1g2. Not dexos1. Not everyone knows your are referring to gen2.

It is confusing, no doubt. I wonder how much GovMo spent thinking of that name and the logo design? Probably millions.

It is confusing, no doubt. I wonder how much GovMo spent thinking of that name and the logo design? Probably millions.

However much they spent it might have worked. Seems like d1g2 recommendations dominate BITOG conversations.

You can bet whoever got the factory fill paid plenty into the development costs … and they have the labs anyway …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back