2020 Toyota Supra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely a BMW, but a real Z4 similarly equipped would set one back $14K more.
The only part I don't like it's the view of the back, it looks small and chintzy to me, I prefer by a lot the one on the Z4
I have always like the outside of the bimmers not so much the insitde.

Originally Posted by Joe_Cena
It is a BMW. This supra is widely rejected as a Toyota.

Correct.

The 2JZ-GTE was bulletproof. From the last-gen Supra, you got world-class performance and the reliability of a Camry. The same definitely won't be able to be said about this new "Supra".

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Correct.

The 2JZ-GTE was bulletproof. From the last-gen Supra, you got world-class performance and the reliability of a Camry. The same definitely won't be able to be said about this new "Supra".

Don't worry, there are already fairy tales floating around how Toyota engineers baby sat the BMW engineers to ensure their car meets the stringest Toyota standards.
crazy2.gif

I see two possible scenarios playing out:
1. If this car proves to be not a reliability nightmare, Toyota will be given full credit for it.
2. If any problems do surface, Toyota will be exonerated from any wrong doing and the whole blame will be put on BMW.

Last edited:
With the mid engine Corvette coming, Toyota will struggle to sell these after 2020 IMO.

I'm not a Toyota fan, but I definitely think they should have skipped a BMW partnership and built on their own car with a Yamaha built performance engine as they have in the past.

Last edited:
At least it's not a BMW V8 which have had their share of issues. Better that it's a turbo V6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by john_pifer

Correct.

Don't worry, there are already fairy tales floating around how Toyota engineers baby sat the BMW engineers to ensure their car meets the stringest Toyota standards.
crazy2.gif

I see two possible scenarios playing out:
1. If this car proves to be not a reliability nightmare, Toyota will be given full credit for it.
2. If any problems do surface, Toyota will be exonerated from any wrong doing and the whole blame will be put on BMW.

Yep we come back to that where Toyota is not capable to built car like Supra, but were babysitting BMW engineers and explained them how to do it.
Issues: BMW fault.
No issues: It is Toyota after all.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
At least it's not a BMW V8 which have had their share of issues. Better that it's a turbo V6.

In this universe in which we live, V6 is always cheaper and simply worse option. There is a reason why Toyota does not built inlin 6 engines:
1. Will not fit in microwaves.
2. More expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

In this universe in which we live, V6 is always cheaper and simply worse option. There is a reason why Toyota does not built inlin 6 engines:
1. Will not fit in microwaves.
2. More expensive.

LOL

It's an inline six, just like every six BMW has ever produced.

Originally Posted by MCompact

It's an inline six, just like every six BMW has ever produced.

Did I misunderstood this? I thought he is saying it would be better that it is V6?

I really like it. Looks "different" than anything else,something I always liked about the 1990s "Japanese exotics".

Too much money for too little horsepower and no manual option. A manual and a price starting in the 30s and it would be interesting to me.

I like it and I especially like turbocharged engines. But the Supra is no match for the outgoing Corvette C7, not to mention the base model C8. The Supra is down over a second 0-60 and 30 mph slower than a C8.

I'll test drive one soon. But I expect to be underwhelmed.

I know there are faster cars out there for the money but if I wanted a 2-seat sports car in this price range, the Supra would be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back