2020 Kia Forte Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by buddylpal
lol.gif
that is true!

Welcome! and enjoy it here!

I think there are some actual motorheads(shop owners, mechanics, performance shop guys, former engineers) on the forum and we had some interesting stories relayed for us the users-of-the-products-on-the-streets just to understand 0.1% of the industry.

Don't be a stranger.

Hi Buddypal...

Can you share the differences between the Old and Updated Theta II ??.. I have a 2019 Santa Fe with the 2.0T T-II and love it.. I took the gamble that Hyundai has addressed any previous failures.. And so far.. its been a fantastic engine.

Thanks!

Well, I'm not going to engage with this any further really. But HMMA built the Theta II in Alabama and for the 2015 model year they built two different versions, the updated version for the 2015 sonata and the old version for the optima and sorento and by MY2016 failures have been a lot less, which coincides when HMMA started building only the updated version. Hyundai is very controlling of their suppliers, more so than most automakers, Hyundai Mobis controls everything on their watch, they are in total control of nearly every process. With Hyundai being very tight lipped about the engine failure fiasco and their original stance that manufacturing debris caused the failures, I wouldn't put anything past them.

My work is in the automotive consulting business. I work with auto manufacturers on finding ways to reduce business costs, my area of expertise is strictly regarding vehicle exteriors. Parts can change upon a moments notice while on the assembly line. When the 2013 Accord, Altima, and Sentra came standard with chrome exterior door handles, that was a requested cost cutting measure requested by the OEM's. Also after the tsunami of 2011 the Japanese makers were looking for ways to use less paint coating. Not having to paint door handles for several different colors and just using chrome across the trim levels saved them money in the long run.

Anyway, from how I see things, it looks like Hyundai/Kia got a handle on their engine issue by 2016 for the most part. My very educated guess is that 2017+MY's have a failure rate that is acceptable by industry OEM industry standards. At that point all the suppliers had converted to producing parts for the "updated" engines.

I don't know all the specifics of what changed on the old vs the updated Theta II except for what info Hyundai has provided to the public. But they did rework the updated engine for less power across the board. They flattened the torque curve and provided more available torque at lower rpms. They introduced e-cvvt, revised the oil pump/balance shaft module made other changes for nvh and smoothness. I read somewhere awhile
back that the pistons, piston rods, bearings, and the engine block were all updated for as well.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'd be more worried about the CVT Hyundai/Kia is now using in these cars for 2020.

Why?

The CVT or IVT as Hyundai calls it, might be reliable, who knows. I'm just assuming if 500 people put 150K on these cars, more people are likely to need a CVT replaced vs needing an engine replaced.

i just drove a 2020 elantra with the new ivt trans today . took it for a 20 mile ride on freeway and city. its the best feeling cvt i have driven. driven honda , subaru nissan. very responsive . i was surprised how peppy the elantra was in sport mode. how long the ivt will last who know. at least its backed by the 100k warranty

This is a really relevant statement regarding the coronavirus outbreak and Hyundai temporarily shutting down South Korea production.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-04-20/h_8ca089ba08e69bb5abd432706309df4d

Quote from CNN:

The Hyundai Motor Company is suspending production lines at its plants in South Korea, after its supply of parts was disrupted because of the coronavirus outbreak in China.

In a statement, the company said "schedules for suspension will vary by line."

The statement continued, "the company is reviewing various measures to minimize the disruption of its operations, including seeking alternative suppliers in other regions."

In case there was any doubt from anyone on here, Hyundai/Kia frequently will use compatible parts from other suppliers if need be. Surely the same thing happened a time or two during the Theta II's production.

I don't know all the specifics of what changed on the old vs the updated Theta II except for what info Hyundai has provided to the public. But they did rework the updated engine for less power across the board. They flattened the torque curve and provided more available torque at lower rpms. They introduced e-cvvt, revised the oil pump/balance shaft module made other changes for nvh and smoothness. I read somewhere awhile
back that the pistons, piston rods, bearings, and the engine block were all updated for as well.

The 2011 MY Sonata 2.0T came w\Denso 20 spark plugs. A couple of years and they move to a step colder plug Denso 22. I think 2017 they changed to NGK which was yet another step colder. They say in 2015 the turbo was smaller hence lower output. But, I've read the difference in the 250bhp N 2.0T & 275bhp N 2.0T was having a CVVT exhaust cam or not.

The early models CVVT were hydraulic before switching to electric solenoids. This, along w\gas mileage, encourage use of a too light grade of oil in my opinion. Hyundai didn't help matters by selecting no preference in dino or synthetic oil usage.

Personally I do not believe they had adequate airflow for the engine bay in a style over function decision. I grinned when I saw the monster grille of the 2020. And, look forward to fall and the new 2.5T rumoured to be at least 290bhp.

Last edited:
I might well be off a year here or there. Around 2017 the turbo was not to be found in a Sonata. Then the turbo reemerged as a 1.6T which had me scratching me head. When the 2.0T came back, the following year I believe, it was with the new colder NGK plug. Two & half-three colder heat range is quite the jump wouldn't you think?

Hyundai raised the white flag of surrender there. Perhaps not with Denso 20-22 move, but by the newfangled, "only" for the 2.0T, NGK the bums should have given a set to every 2.0T original owner as well as second owner factory certified.

One oil issue problem is shared. The pressurized turbo feed line, & to lesser extent the overflow\return turbo line, over time would leak. The plastic skidpad came with a foam type material that in essence was installed to absorb oil leaks. There's no other reason. So, for peeps that did not check the dipstick a rude awakening befell them. Especially anyone with OCI of 5K or better.

M1 0-40 os a good match. A light 40 grade that shears to a 30 by OC. You can hear the difference betwixt that and the syn blend 5-30 the dealer employs. I'm right at 100K and use 0.5qt by 3K. Dump a half in I'm good to 5K OCI.

I do not drive it "like I stole it" all the time. Howevah, I keep me foot in 'er arse on a daily basis. And I'm running around 22PSI burning 93 octane ethanol free. If she blows today, so be it. I've had the most fun out of this car than any other I've owned. The two turbo lines, the spongy spacer in the steering column, valve cover gasket, the orange dipstick, the brake light switch and at 97K+ the front disc pads have been changed. I bought the serpentine belt the other day, but I'm still pushing triple digits, on a regular basis, on the original. I've used synthetic in mostly in 5w-40 or 0w-40 for the most part with a couple of 5w-30 changes around 40K along with one dealer semi-syn 5-30.

Maybe as the Sonata became wildly popular the QC dropped off as Hyundai was rolling 'em out the door as fast as they could. The direct competitor in 2011 was the Buick Regal 2.0T. Handled better, cost more and only claimed 250bhp. Which if I've not fallen victim to early onset dementia dropped quickly thereafter to around 230. Sound familiar?

Overall at this juncture I cannot in clear conscience bust the Sonata's balls. I never expected 300K much less 200K. I'm on me second fill of Frankenblend, different from the first, with the third jug, also different from the previous two, waiting to go. And, to add insult to injury I have two jugs of Valvoline primo bleu Restorie on the way.

Here's a bit o' advice from Simon Bar Sinister: Simon Sez, use a multigrade 40 and be the Italian tune-up; you've nothing to fear, but fear itself.

OK, a nod to FDR. I'm a plagiarist. Sue me.

Happy motoring kids.

Always warm the vehicle to operating temps before driving modestly for the first few miles. Then Va-Va Voom Pow!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back