2020 Jeep Wrangler Eco Diesel Oil Dilemma

Not sure what you mean. I’m new at this. I don’t know what all the abbreviations mean. Would you explain iit. Thanks
SCR-Selective Catalytic Reduction system. SCR is sytem that injects DEF (DIesel Emission Fluid) into so called "mixer" or SCR cat, that eliminates NOx. DPF (DIesel particulate Filter) traps soot. Excessive SAPS (Sulfated Ash and Phosphorus) are polluting DPF. You need oils with Low-SAPS leves, which are ACEA C3 oils (usually those oils will have fallowing approvals: MB 229.5, MB229.52, BMW LL04, VW 505.01, VW 504.00/507.00, Porsche C3, GM Dexos2).

Pennzoil Platinum Euro in either 5W-40 or 0W-40...

Same add pack for both, also bottled as Shell Helix, Quaker State Euro, and a few others...

But, it is Full-SAPS oil and not suitable for DPF. This was discussed numerous times right here in this sub-forum. What FCA is doing is pure negligence.

The Shell Helix web site says Helix C2/C3 in 0W-30, which is Pennzoil Euro LX in 0W-30...
Yes, BUT, due to known issue with bearings in that engine (and I am not sure that issue is addressed in this version of that engine) heavy oils are preferred. So C3, but as thick as possible.
You can find Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 in Wal Mart for $22. But again, it is W30.

This is from the owners manual.
We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required.
This engine is Gen III with a great number of updates/ improvements over previous generations.
Here is a link to article explaining the changes. https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ram-1500-ecodiesel-is-a-torquier-version-of-an-1837366263

I suppose you can pick your poison. Mechanical wear or emission system issues. If it was mine I would try and thread the needle with the highest viscosity I could get with a SA number of .8 or below. FCA must be on drugs.

This is from the owners manual.
We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required.
This engine is Gen III with a great number of updates/ improvements over previous generations.
Here is a link to article explaining the changes. https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ram-1500-ecodiesel-is-a-torquier-version-of-an-1837366263
Two possibilities, which I already addressed:
1. FCA still has bearing issues, hence API SN, ACEA A3 oils.
2. FCA does not care about post warranty issues with DPF.

I'd run Delo 600 ADF if you can find it. In either 15w40 or 10w30. Our local distributor is getting me some 10w30 for this winter.

Ram 1500 EcoDiesels were spec'd to 5w40 CK-4 oil a long time ago and the emissions systems, specifically the DPFs, are holding up fine and are not one of the widespread problems.

So you can use any CK-4 oil in 10w30, 5w40, or 15w40. I'd recommend a 15w40 if you live in a warm climate and tow.

Here's the UOA's from my 2015 RAM EcoDiesel from when I bought it used with 30k miles.
20200605_131147.jpg

OP, this is confusing subject that FCA made it even more confusing.
First gen. of that engine in FCA vehicles in the US had issue with bearings. Band aid was Rotella T6 of ACE AA3 oils. Problem in the longs run is of course, higher SAPS levels in T6 and especially ACEA A3 compared to C3 oils that initially were required.
Your engine should have bearing issue addressed and you should use C3 oils if you plan to keep vehicle pass warranty. Now, I said FCA should have addressed bearing issue. For that reason, I would personally go with thick ACEA C3 5W40 oil. I think best suitable oil for that application, taking DPF into consideration, would be Motul X-Clean Gen2 5W40 as HTHS is at 3.9.
I checked out the oil Motul X-Clean oil you recommended. Seems to have almost identical specs of the Schaeffer Synshield supreme 9000 diesel oil. The Schaeffer is easier to get since the factory is in St Louis. What is you take on the Schaeffer for my 3.0 Eco diesel? Thanks

Attachments

• B137D5F7-93EF-47B9-8480-6149F90EA0FC.jpeg
    B137D5F7-93EF-47B9-8480-6149F90EA0FC.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 721A8F2C-E55A-4428-8E11-F8A9EAC0BB11.jpeg
    721A8F2C-E55A-4428-8E11-F8A9EAC0BB11.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 25
I’m new at this and not sure what you mean. Would you explain it for me? Thanks
Approval process means oil company sends sample to vehicle manufacturer and vehicle manufacturer approves that oil for specific application.
Motul is approved for numerous vehicle specifications, most importantly MB229.51/52, which are gold standard. When company says: meets and exceeds, that is thier claim, and question is: why not send oil for approval? Approvals are cheap.

Approval process means oil company sends sample to vehicle manufacturer and vehicle manufacturer approves that oil for specific application.
Motul is approved for numerous vehicle specifications, most importantly MB229.51/52, which are gold standard. When company says: meets and exceeds, that is thier claim, and question is: why not send oil for approval? Approvals are cheap.
Ok thanks. I will try the Motul. I plan on keeping this Jeep a long time. I was planning on hanging the oil every 5000 miles just for peace of mind. Thanks for tour help.

OP, my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel has run nothing but Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5w40 for 35k trouble free miles...

Ok thanks. I have used Schaeffer for years. It’s easy to pick up with the factory on Barton St in St Louis. How often do you change your oil? I appreciate the help. I think I am going to just use Schaeffer.

Back