2020 Ford Ranger 2.3L EB Oil recommendations

I always enjoy these oil recommendation threads so thought I would add my own.

I bought a new Ford Ranger a month ago. Since it is a TGDI engine my plan is to use a synthetic and 5k OCIs. Still trying to decide what oil to go with. It calls for 5w-30. What do you think?

For those wondering this thing is an absolute blast to drive. Great power, good economy. Just a neat little truck. I plan on keeping mine stock but with a tune they are pushing 350 horsepower.

Attachments

• 20200810_145030crop (Medium).jpg
    20200810_145030crop (Medium).jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 49
M1 EP. Good balance between NOACK & Sulfated Ash. I added a PVC-side catch can to my 2.3 Mustang, worked really well (sold the car). You might consider adding one to keep the oil off the backs of your intake valves.

What ever oil you want to use that meets the specs. I doubt there is a dimes worth of difference between the majors oil.

I have a 2018 3.5L Ecoboost F150. I came back to BITOG after a long absence in search of some better oils for the engine as well. I've poured over a LOT of threads, collected a LOT of UOA's, and even compiled an excel spreadsheet for my specific engine. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter what oil you use as long as it meets the manufacturer specs.

Sure, it's a boring answer, but since all oil manufacturers have to meet industry standards there's not a lot of wiggle room between the various brands within the specs for your engine. There's also been quite a big improvement in the 2nd gen Ecoboosts since they have port and direct injection. You don't have the same carbon buildup issues on the intake or the low speed pre-ignition like you do with DI only.

Like many others here, I look for sales and stock up on oil that meets, or exceeds specs, at a discounted price. Right now I'm running a combo of Rotella Gas Truck and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 because I had to use up the remains of 5L jugs from previous oil changes. Then when that oil needs changing, I have a choice between, Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra Platinum, and Castrol Edge.

Enjoy the new ride. I know I still get a kick out of the pep my truck has with the turbos.

Neil

Back