2020 Camaro LT1 V8, Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I can buy 2 Camry's for that price and each will be on the road years longer than that Camaro.

I don't recall the last time i saw a 1969 Camry at a car show
whistle.gif

There are lots of old F-bodies on the road, even up here in the salt belt, can't say the same for "vintage" Toyota products. A Camry will live a lonely life of one or 2 owners who blissfully operate it like a toaster until it ends up in a scrap yard. The Camaro will likely have a pile of owners, experience all sorts of modifications, power adders, repairs and be the birthplace for all kinds of memories and experiences for which the car was integral.

I have absolutely amazing memories of my Mustang and my M5. Both cars taken out of this world by accidents, not their inability to compete in a field of anodyne appliances. Nobody recalls with delight their days spent with their coffee maker.

It's definitely a lot of raw power for the money. I'd get the automatic. It would have to be a very good manual for me to even consider it.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I can buy 2 Camry's for that price and each will be on the road years longer than that Camaro.

I don't recall the last time i saw a 1969 Camry at a car show
whistle.gif

There are lots of old F-bodies on the road, even up here in the salt belt, can't say the same for "vintage" Toyota products. A Camry will live a lonely life of one or 2 owners who blissfully operate it like a toaster until it ends up in a scrap yard. The Camaro will likely have a pile of owners, experience all sorts of modifications, power adders, repairs and be the birthplace for all kinds of memories and experiences for which the car was integral.

I have absolutely amazing memories of my Mustang and my M5. Both cars taken out of this world by accidents, not their inability to compete in a field of anodyne appliances. Nobody recalls with delight their days spent with their coffee maker.

You're waxing nostalgic. I have a lot of memories from my 77 Buick and 86 Accord and 95 Cherokee. The memories come from the experiences, not the cars themselves. Cars don't have much life left in them when I'm done with them.

I'd get the manual in the Camaro. Shifting gears is fun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
My vote is for manual, all day every day. If the quickest shifting possible is the goal, then just buy an EV since those blow automatics away.

Also, if I'm reading the article below correctly, 0-60 times for both the manual and auto were both 4.1 so there's no speed advantage buying the more expensive auto:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/camaro/2019/2019-chevrolet-camaro-ss-first-test-review/

In this new LT1 trim, you don't get really wide rear wheels and summer only tires, so the 0-60 is faster on the automatic with launch control. I just want to putt around and open it up once in a while so this choice in wheels and tires and overall styling is right up my alley, unless Ford offers a Mustang GT with GM 6.2 V8. Yep, i like GM for the engine but wish it was a ford body.

Funniest comment I've heard in some time!

I'd go with the manual as well. I'd prefer the 1LE package but then I'm a track geek.
It still wouldn't be as fun as two Camrys, but you can't have everything.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I'd go with the manual as well. I'd prefer the 1LE package but then I'm a track geek.
It still wouldn't be as fun as two Camrys, but you can't have everything.

1LE is a great spec and worth the upgrade. LT1 is the thrifty Camaro, i'm cheap, and would enjoy things like seeing how good of MPG i could get in it when not flogging it. I could see the LT1 manual going down a 50 mph road pushing 40 mpg in 4 cyl mode. LT1 tires about half the cost as 1LE sizes.

I'd choose the manual, as I enjoy being involved in driving sporty cars. My two fastest cars are manuals. I'll likely keep them for a long time, as automatics or automated shifting manuals just aren't as enjoyable for me.

Originally Posted by dareo
and would enjoy things like seeing how good of MPG i could get in it when not flogging it. I could see the LT1 manual going down a 50 mph road pushing 40 mpg in 4 cyl mode.

Given what some people report with Corvettes with the same engine, it sounds like it's quite possible. I don't know how Chevy does it. In my Charger, even if I baby it and let it use cylinder deactivation, I still can't get into the 20s on average. Alas, MPG really wasn't a factor in my purchasing decision.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Great cars for the money.

I wish GM made the windows slightly larger.

Originally Posted by Malo83
No Thanks, they look like bloated pigs.
lol.gif

I agree! Not the greatest look and the windows could be bigger. but what can i do? Nothing else gives me a that 6.2 V8, RWD, manual option, 3600lbs, very reasonable price. I'd like the SS sedan but at nearly $40k for a used 6 speed model it is way over valued. A 3rd gen CTS-V is also big bucks. Buying the powertrain and putting it in something else is also big bucks.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

lol.gif
We have reached peak BITOG.

OP, that Camaro looks awesome for the price. I'd choose the auto, myself.

The same type who on sales and rebates...No matter the price listed, some have to jump in saying they bought 100 qt's of oil for $1.99 before rebates... showing they actually money on the deal...even though it has nothing to do with anyone currently looking for a deal. Never fails

But you'll pick up half as many chicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back