FULL-SIZE CAR: Toyota Avalon

SUBCOMPACT SUV: Subaru Crosstrek

COMPACT SUV: Subaru Forester

MIDSIZE SUV - 2-ROW: Subaru Outback

MIDSIZE SUV - 3-ROW: Toyota Highlander

MIDSIZE PICKUP TRUCK: Toyota Tacoma

FULL-SIZE PICKUP TRUCK: Toyota Tundra

MINIVAN: Honda Odyssey

Not a Mazda or a Nissan in the bunch, and just 1 Honda, for minivan category.

Toyota tax is real! Subaru's must be a snow/rust belt thing?, I live in the 4th largest Metro area in the US & Subaru's are not very common here. Nissan on the other hand is very popular here because our Hispanic population loves them.

The Toyota Tundra is interesting as they don't sell very well compared to the Big 3.

These don't surprise me. I looked at used Imprezas before we bought our new 2019 and the prices were so close that it didn't seem worth buying one that was 3-4 years old.

Originally Posted by madRiver
The Legacy surprises me.

For sure and it makes me question KBBs data on this.

It is a list of highest resale value, not a Bob popularity contest. "I wouldn't buy one" has nothing to do with it.

I really wonder what statistics do they use. I agree with the Forester because that is one reason I ended up buying a new one.

I wonder how the said tranny issues of the last generation (2014-2018) Subaru will ding the ratings going forward (same as blown gaskets) if many decide to dump the vehicles at the 10-year mark? The recent iteration of Odyssey isn't top-notch either (So says CR). Legacy surprises me too, I thought it was Camry's spot.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Toyota tax is real! Subaru's must be a snow/rust belt thing?

Yep. Extremely common here in NY. And used ones go for stupid money. I was looking back at 5 or 6 year old Foresters and they were still going for $18K. I got mine new for $23k.

Subaru surprised me a little. I'd think the popularity in 4 season areas would keep the market soft, (competition). Inflated values or asking price should drive new car sales and I've heard it does.

Happy ownership experience and reliability top my list. I guess cost of ownership is in there too but if I'm happy, that would be under that umbrella.
Resale comes in at the bottom of my priorities b/c my cars last a while with me, not sold off in the sweet spot for odometer mileage.
I'd suppose neighbors seeing me wash it , wax it and keep it up think I'm nuts about resale value but I just want it look good an be well maintained for ME.

Been a happy Mazda owner on three of them over the years. I'll hazard a guess they are well liked by owners but not particularly high on any resale list. I might have got my first one based on what I read by owners / perceptions. That's how I shop almost anything these days.

Originally Posted by wdn
It is a list of highest resale value, not a Bob popularity contest. "I wouldn't buy one" has nothing to do with it.

The list is surprising, but you're right, this is a collection of data, not a collection of collective wisdom and reasoning and hand wrangling.

This is not really surprising.

The dominant factor in resale value is availability and the major factor in availability is rental sales. That's why you'll never see a Toyota Corolla or Mazda3 on lists like these, and why Subarus, a brand which does have a cult following plus offer a lot of conveniences like AWD and added cargo space to go along with limited availability*, will always be at the top. Rental agencies don't buy Subarus at even close to the same numbers as they do Toyota, Mazda, Nissan and Hyundai.

*Limited availability in that Subaru is not a popular choice of car by most rental agencies, which means the used car market isn't ripe with 1-2 year old, 40k mile Subarus.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Tundras are great in many ways, but price and gas mileage are horrid.

Just bought a 2020 Platinum. It's 5.7L of old school, port injection, 6-speed, baby-seal clubbing environmental friendliness! Luckily, I only drive about 8k miles per year.

Last edited:
Not surprising. I got high trade-in value for an 11 year old Subaru Forester (bought 10/04/2008, traded 06/20/2019) and they sold it in less than 10 days for kbb high dealer retail... was a Ford dealer not a Subaru lot.

Subaru has incredible demand in certain locales new as they have grown every year since the mid 1990's and even grew in sales during the great car recession.

The demand carries obviously over to the used market and it has other honors like the most owners for Compact SUV and Crossover thing who keep them 15 years+. People tend to hang onto Subaru's for longer haul making less supply.

I get that certain areas have limited demand for the AWD car however supply is limited there too and the sales numbers don't influence the great numbers. Or if dealers are smart they ship low demand area Subaru's to areas who demand them for top dollar.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Nissan on the other hand is very popular here because our Hispanic population loves them.

One of the easier brands to get financing towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back