2019 Tundra ATF.... Burned?

Thanks!

I'm going to wait and see what Blackstone has to say about the health of my ATF.

I've gathered adding the ATF cooler shouldn't void the warranty since it's built from genuine Toyota parts but IF I have an issue and had swapped ATF to another brand which I'm still confused about Toyota could conceivably refuse to honor the warranty without a bunch of rigamarole.....

IF I decided to use the highly touted Amsoil how do I confirm it's an exact replacement spec wise? I gather ATF has a WS designation but are there other more concise numbers that match up? Looks like there's various flavors of WS....

Thanks!
I think most Toyota owners who venture into more stout fluids go to Amsoil Severe Gear. I think Astro14 is running it.

I’m running Severe Gear in the front and rear differentials.

Ravenol 75w in the transfer case. (That transfer case specification is a thread unto itself).

AMSOIL Signature series fuel efficient ATF in the transmission.

No complaints. No worries.

Towing a travel trailer is a lot different than say towing a car or boat. The difference it notable when I go from towing my car to towing my travel trailer. You are just pushing more air which makes a big difference. The weight difference is less than a 1000lbs for me but the surface area is much larger on the trailer. Evening towing a 10,000 dump trailer is easier than the Travel Trailer.
If you are towing a 7000lbs travel trailer you might look into a Tru-cool 40K. I had that one on my last 3/4 ton and it worked great. Not super hard to install and reasonably priced. I run the Normal GM in stuff in my tow vehicle. However the service manual does call for 45,000 mile transmission fluid change for severe service. Towing is noted as an example. I also put a larger PML transmission pan on the 2017 It holds 3 extra quarts and cools off quicker. This past summer pulling some long grades with 8000lbs I never saw over 170 degrees for the transmission in 90 to 100 degree heat. How often do you tow?

Last edited:
To point the problem to ATF is premature - Aisin is owned by Toyota. There is no greed here T-IV costs $6/Q and WS costs $9-10/Q and you know its a fluid for the vehicle. There is no price gouging here when it is replaced every 60K miles (the cost of ATF is a little more than taking your family for a good dinner, stop cribbing). Get to the real problem, its under warranty and take it to the dealership and have them diagnose the problem.

Is the transmission mount good - when the mounts (even engine if off) go off the imbalance can cause the fluid to burn up. How I know once replaced a transmission mount whole bolts were speced for 50ftlb and torqued is to max and the transmission was a bit rough and then redid it based on specs and the ATF didn't burn (the ATF burnt out in less than 1000 miles if the mounts are not right).

Cooler addition was a good thing, keep an eye on the fluid.

Thanks!

I'm going to wait and see what Blackstone has to say about the health of my ATF.

I've gathered adding the ATF cooler shouldn't void the warranty since it's built from genuine Toyota parts but IF I have an issue and had swapped ATF to another brand which I'm still confused about Toyota could conceivably refuse to honor the warranty without a bunch of rigamarole.....

IF I decided to use the highly touted Amsoil how do I confirm it's an exact replacement spec wise? I gather ATF has a WS designation but are there other more concise numbers that match up? Looks like there's various flavors of WS....

Thanks!

I have used the amsoil low vis atf in both a 2006 tundra and 2015 Lexus and in both cases I can’t recommend anything better. The tundra had significant tow duty at the upper end of its capacity. We traded it in with 150,000 miles on it and it ran like it was new. both of these we’re WS transmissions. I used maxlife once in a Camry and the shift characteristic changed a little to my ear. It was fine, no issue, but the timing with amsoil seemed a touch more dialed in.

I would not suggest amsoil in an ULV application, however, even though they recommend it currently.

good luck!

That is a fantastic incentive to purchase a Toyota. Is this a factory warranty or aftermarket? I have never heard of a factory lifetime powertrain warranty.

The closest I came to that was a factory 100,000 mile warranty on the powertrain of my 94 Silverado. Of course there is always aftermarket warranties. But sometimes they don't include seal or torque converter failure.

The factory warranty is a standard warranty. This warranty is provided through the dealer backed by the distributor SET, Southeast Toyota. I have the same on three vehicles now. It has only been used once for the waterpump on the 2008 Tundra. I don't think the pump needed to be replaced at they will weep occasionally. It has a $100 deductible.

The factory warranty is a standard warranty. This warranty is provided through the dealer backed by the distributor SET, Southeast Toyota. I have the same on three vehicles now. It has only been used once for the waterpump on the 2008 Tundra. I don't think the pump needed to be replaced at they will weep occasionally. It has a $100 deductible.

I will tell you this is tempting me to purchase a 4 Runner. They have a few inherent issues with the drivetrain but are otherwise very reliable. I'm going to start calling around and see if the dealers offer that lifetime powertrain warranty here. I asked my family and friends and they too have never heard of it.

Well, it seems my Sienna developed transmission leak in the middle of the road trip. Wondering if pushing it too hard over mountain passes while fully loaded fluid overheated and messed up some gasket.

Time to trade it on an X7

Well, it seems my Sienna developed transmission leak in the middle of the road trip. Wondering if pushing it too hard over mountain passes while fully loaded fluid overheated and messed up some gasket.

Time to trade it on an X7
LOL, nah. Eventually I will get rid of it (unless this turns into big deal). Thing is one kid is still in stroller, have bike trailer, so too much garbage to haul around. Once they are out of those stuff, probably something with decent 4WD, Sequoia or new Land Cruiser. Will see, depends what Toyota brings next year as I am interested to see this new 3.4 twin turbo.
Wife will eventually get X3 or X5, I have 328 for every day, track, skiing, so no need for overpriced grocery getter.

I will tell you this is tempting me to purchase a 4 Runner. They have a few inherent issues with the drivetrain but are otherwise very reliable. I'm going to start calling around and see if the dealers offer that lifetime powertrain warranty here. I asked my family and friends and they too have never heard of it.

Its this warranty. Not that it would get used but its nice to have especially if you keep the vehicle.

Mine is 999,999 warranty the one posted looks like less miles.

Its this warranty. Not that it would get used but its nice to have especially if you keep the vehicle.

Mine is 999,999 warranty the one posted looks like less miles.

Right on my man!! Thank you for that!!

Honestly I'm not sure how it works. I imagine you would have to be strict and follow the service schedule lined out in the manual.

I just received a report from Blackstone on my ATF.

Here ya go! Comments welcome as I don't understand it other than I needn't have been so concerned based on their analysis. Info missing so I will update but I surmise many here can figure it out on their own...

atfreport.jpg

I've had several Toyotas and found that the WSATF turns dark quickly. I think it's just the clutch material they use. I wouldn't worry about it, just do your regular maintenance to keep the detergency up.

Revised Blackstone report based on make, mileage and usage. They must have lost my particulars for the initial report. As yo can see they say it
tests out very good compared to 38K miles samples! I only had 18K.....

I guess it kinda throws that old ATF temperature chart in the garbage as I can assure you I put some serious long hot summer towing miles in the mountains of the SW USA.....not to mention some heavy fwy traffic going slow on hot days which will get the temperature up even faster! I don't recall even once when I monitored getting less than 220°-230°.....and that was cool days on flats....

revised_oil_report.jpg

I've had several Toyotas and found that the WSATF turns dark quickly. I think it's just the clutch material they use. I wouldn't worry about it, just do your regular maintenance to keep the detergency up.
Not sure about that--I think those who have changed to Maxlife or similar have found the ATF stays red longer.

Back