2019 Tundra ATF.... Burned?

Why buy unlicensed, unapproved Maxlife when you can buy Castrol MAXLIFE full synthetic ATF that is certified for use in all Toyota vehicles?
No Castrol fluid is licensed WS, therefore in a WS application it would be equivalent to the Valvoline product. Both are "recommended for".

Lots of imagination and feelings in this thread.

No Castrol fluid is licensed WS, therefore in a WS application it would be no different than the Valvoline product. Both are "recommended for".

That is incorrect. TRANSMAX full synthetic states it is certified by Ford, GM and Toyota. It says so right on the bottle. You seem to be starting with an unshakeable belief that is not supported by the reality of the product labeling.

Perhaps it's already been mentioned....but as of recently, Tacomas no longer have the cooler either

That is incorrect. TRANSMAX full synthetic states it is certified by Ford, GM and Toyota. It says so right on the bottle. You seem to be starting with an unshakeable belief that is not supported by the reality of the product labeling.
Again even more imagination and feelings.

Which Toyota licenses does the TRANSMAX product hold? And which TRANSMAX variety exactly?

Please post a link to the PDS of the product that has the Toyota licenses.

IMG_2564.jpg

that is the product label on the back of the bottle

Yep that's what it says, a good case of obfuscation and weasel-wording by Castrol.

But of course what does "certified" mean anyway? Certified by Castrol perhaps, which means exactly the same as "recommended for" by Aisin or Valvoline.

20th of January 2020 PDS:

I don't see a single fluid that's approved by Toyota in that whole MSDS/PDS repository? It's recommended for WS applications however.
View attachment 29913

that is the product label on the back of the bottle

This is the product on their website:

This is the PDS:

Note this language from the first link:
Castrol said:
In addition to approval from two major US auto manufacturers, Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF exceeds the requirements of the JASO-1A performance standard created by Japanese automobile manufacturers. This standard is recognized by Japanese OEM’s in certifying ATF for use in their vehicles.

Which is likely the basis for what you see on the back of the bottle.

From the PDS:
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 12.50.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 12.50.46 PM.png

So clearly, because it is JASO-1A approved, it is "recommended for" the Toyota application, which that approval makes it appropriate for.

i buy the less popular trucks IF they have a MANUAL tranny, common cure for all slush box issues!!!

Not that I wouldn't use either the Castrol or the Valvoline product, I have used and continue to use both in all my vehicles except the ECHO and the VW.

Maybe that's why there are no "licensed" WS fluids. Toyota doesn't own the standard? JASO-1A does?

Maybe that's why there are no "licensed" WS fluids. Toyota doesn't own the standard? JASO-1A does?

I could be completely wrong, but I think of JASO like ACEA, where the OEM's are all involved and agree on what determines the approvals, however, on top of that, they are able to have their own approvals and most do. It appears the difference is that while the Euro OEM's for engine oils readily approve products that pass their protocols, that's not the case with transmission fluids pretty much across the board. It's really only the domestic marques that license aftermarket fluids, the rest appear to be "recommended for" beyond JASO, including for the European vehicles, just going by what I see on the Mobil website. 🤷‍♂️

That's my impression too, only NA market uses that term. Licensing means $$$.
Not necessarily. We do not know that and that is constantly pushed by companies that do not license or approve any fluid.
Same goes for approval of European engine fluids. There is always someone who claims how it is expensive, when opposite is true.

Last edited:
Yep that's what it says, a good case of obfuscation and weasel-wording by Castrol.

But of course what does "certified" mean anyway? Certified by Castrol perhaps, which means exactly the same as "recommended for" by Aisin or Valvoline.

Actually if you read the product sheet it is perfectly clear and concise. I have personally used the Vavloline multi ATF for years with no issues in many vehicles. I have every reason to believe Castrol Multi ATF is no different. Both products can be used on any Japanese vehicle that require the JASO 1A specification.

I only mention this because it will save the end user a lot of money when compared to vehicle specific fluid and meet all the warranty requirements. Also the multi ATF products are so much nicer to keep in the garage. 1 bottle for everything you own that has an automatic transmission (except CVT).

Thanks!

I'm going to wait and see what Blackstone has to say about the health of my ATF.

I've gathered adding the ATF cooler shouldn't void the warranty since it's built from genuine Toyota parts but IF I have an issue and had swapped ATF to another brand which I'm still confused about Toyota could conceivably refuse to honor the warranty without a bunch of rigamarole.....

IF I decided to use the highly touted Amsoil how do I confirm it's an exact replacement spec wise? I gather ATF has a WS designation but are there other more concise numbers that match up? Looks like there's various flavors of WS....

Thanks!

Back