2019 RAM Hemi 4x4 is the dumbest oil change I've encountered

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Forester is the easiest oil change I ever did, spin-on oil filter right on top on the engine, very accessible without removing anything and there is no plate or "door" to open to get to the drain.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jbutch
My Forester is the easiest oil change I ever did, spin-on oil filter right on top on the engine, very accessible without removing anything and there is no plate or "door" to open to get to the drain.

Our Outback is pretty simple also. I love the oil filter spots on these subi's.

I do have to give the Infiniti people credit when it comes to the G. There is a splash shield down there, but it's just a few easy bolts and you can fold it back to provide access to both the filter and the drain plug. Not only that, but they were smart enough to have the drain plug and the filter close enough together you're not moving the pan all over the floor needlessly. The orientation of the filter is horizontal at just the right cant so I'm not dumping oil on everything, or having it spill down the filter onto my hands. The Audi 200 was well arranged, too, and required you to barely get under the car and not move the pan at all, with the filter and drain in close proximity. Now, the F-150s I've had, the Town Car, the LTD, and the Chevy small blocks, not so much.

A friends Toyota had the oil filter on top of the engine, upside down. Open the hood, and it's right there. Place shop rags all around the filter before you unscrew it. That helps to protect the area around it. Have a can of brake cleaner handy. Consider an oil drain plug valve which you can attach a length of hose to.

spin-on oil filter right on top on the engine
[Linked Image]

No residual oil spills out of that upside down filter?

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
spin-on oil filter right on top on the engine
[Linked Image]

No residual oil spills out of that upside down filter?

Almost none, I unscrew the filter a bit to let drain what it can while I drain the oil through the drain plug and when I'm ready to change the filter, I unscrew the rest of the filter and throw it in the trash. Then a quick wipe and its ready for a new filter.

Maybe the ADBV helps keeping the oil in the filter as well.

[Linked Image]

Also there is a small cup that catches drips under the oil filter, it's quite neat.

Nice set up.

1Q: How do they keep dirt on that "cup" from being pulled down into the block by dripping oil?

2Q: Is the housing for that oil filter a cast portion of the block or a separate part? If it's a separate part does the seal between it and the block ever leak?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
[Linked Image]

Also there is a small cup that catches drips under the oil filter, it's quite neat.

Nice set up.

1Q: How do they keep dirt on that "cup" from being pulled down into the block by dripping oil?

2Q: Is the housing for that oil filter a cast portion of the block or a separate part? If it's a separate part does the seal between it and the block ever leak?

Nothing prevents dirt from being pulled down, however the only oil that stays there after the filter being pulled, is the "ring" of oil from the gasket and the amount is so insignificant that it just stays there.

The cup is integrated to the oil cooler and I believe it's one piece.

I have loved my Fumoto Valve, but here is an idea to make oil changing even easier. When you take your 5 quart oil jug to empty it at a recycler (auto parts store), keep the empty jug. At the next oil change, run the hose into the empty jug and then just screw on the cap. No mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back