2019 Kia Sedona - Oil Filter Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me what the purpose of this hole is? This is on a 2019 Kia Sedona with a 3.3 motor. Oil filter is located on the bottom of the vehicle beside the oil pan. This type of housing is also common on some of the Hyundai Genesis. Filter is tightened to spec and after starting and letting it sit a second, oil will SLOWLY seep out of hole. Other tech is saying this is normal.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Looks to me that when you loosen the housing, it allows the oil inside to seep out...and/or directs the oil flow as you remove the housing. Same purpose as the Toyota's end cap.

The other tech is saying he thinks its the oil that is between the gasket and cap just running out until dry. The gasket on this filter is about a 1/3rd of the way up the filter.

No idea on the answer to your question, but I don't understand the reason for a cartridge filter on the bottom side?

And what is weird as well is that is basically the same Lambda II motor that is in my Hyundai Santa Fe, but mine has a cartridge filter on top.

Kia/Hyundai moved it to that location because it's a shorter trip from the oil pump. The top mounted ones have quite the journey from the pump to the filter.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Looks to me that when you loosen the housing, it allows the oil inside to seep out...and/or directs the oil flow as you remove the housing. Same purpose as the Toyota's end cap.

thumbsup2.gif

Toyota filter comes with a little plastic thing you screw/push in to drain the filter oil ... this is after you remove the end cap. you do this before removing the housing. Drains the left-over oil in filter. Filter is also at the bottom.

This model has no end cap and little hole does the job. I guess two less parts. No end cap and no special tool (plastic thing). I bought a fancier aluminum part (comes with a hose) instead of using the plastic part to drain.

Originally Posted by STIcandy
They're probably trying to solve the dry start issue that causes the timing chain rattle on startup

How do you connect a drain hole in the filter housing to solving timing chain rattle?

Originally Posted by PimTac
They're probably trying to solve the dry start issue that causes the timing chain rattle on startup

How do you connect a drain hole in the filter housing to solving timing chain rattle?

I think they are referring to my comment of the filter housing being moved from the top of the engine to the bottom, not the OP question of the hole in the housing.

In regards to the physical location of the oil filter housing having a shorter distance for oil to travel on initial startup. Older Lambda engines have the housing mounted to the valley, up top, transmission side. This comment was not in regards to the drain hole. Rather just the location change of the housing.

Originally Posted by blupupher

I think they are referring to my comment of the filter housing being moved from the top of the engine to the bottom, not the OP question of the hole in the housing.

Yeah sorry. You are correct. I was referring to the housing relocation attempt to solve the constantly dry filter. I've even looked into weather there is an ADBV in the housing, but I've found nothing.

Last edited:
I had keyed in on the idea that it was more cost effective relocating the filter. I didn't know of the timing chain issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back