2019 i30 Nline 1.6T and first service (1500km)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Not sure if this is posted in the right place but happy to move if need be. This is my first post here but I've been reading for a while.

My i30 Nline 1.6T (petrol) is due for its first service soon (1500km) and I have decided to do an oil change. Happy to hear from people who think this is waste.

Oddly enough, the service using their oil is $159, but the service using my own oil is $143. Firstly, is $159 decent for an interim service (oil+oil filter) change plus the little inspection they do at 1500km? It makes no sense to supply my own oil (which I was hoping to do) if the difference is only $16 + cost of own oil. There is only one other Hyundai Dealer in Canberra, (Aus) but I really don't want to look into that as they were terrible when I visited during the buying process so I'd prefer to stick to the dealer I bought the car new from as they were quite good (service means a lot to me). For the actual first service (1yr/10k kms intervals) they minus $60 if I provide my own oil which is more like it.

Secondly, I've been doing a great deal of research regarding which oil would be best for this car. I've read most of the threads here and a bit elsewhere but it is just so confusing! The manual as well as a sticker on the engine says Hyundai Recommends Shell Ultra. But, the manual also states that for the 1.6T that ACEA A5/B5 is best (which Shell Ultra is not). The 5w30 (also rec in the manual) is C3, whereas the 5w40 is ACEA A3/B4, A3/B3. I've sent emails to both Shell and Hyundai to see what they suggest. The manual does say there when A5/B5 isn't available in your country you can use A3/B4. Just odd they recommend and oil that doesn't fit the ACEA rating that they also recommend. Has anyone got any updated experience or suggestion with this? In terms of API the manual doesn't say a thing. The Shell Ultra 5w30 is API SN and the 5w40 is API SM/CF. I understand you can use C3 where ACEA A3/B4 is allowed - so the 5w30 does meet requirements but not preference, which is just odd.

Anyway, seems as the first service is only $16 less if I provide my own oil I might just stick with their oil which the service department informed me is Valvoline SynPower FE 5W-30. Seems to fit the ACEA A5/B5 in the manual but is API SL/CF which is ILSAC GF-3. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this oil? It looks like a decent oil from what I can see. I did read that Valvoline is not great for extended drain periods?

SAE 5W-30, API SL/CF, ACEA A5/B5, Ford WSS-M2C-913 C, B, A, Fiat 9.55535.G1

https://www.valvoline.com/en-austra...l/synpower-synthetic-engine-oil-fe-5w-30

Seems this Valvoline oil used extensively by FORD. Service department said this is the oil the turbos get at Hyundai.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on all of this.

Thanks!

Can't help much on the oil choice, but $158 for an oil and filter change??!! I'm assuming that's in AUS, but still that's $108 US! And here I am thinking prices in MN are high...

Wow, that is some serious ALPHABET SOUP goin' on ... here is some more .

The i30 has a direct injection turbo, so LSPI may be a consideration in oil choice. Look for SN + .

A/B: Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oils - "High SAPS"

A1/B1 Category is removed with these Oil Sequences.
A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines with extended drain intervals where specified by the Engine Manufacturer, and for severe operating conditions as defined by the Engine Manufacturer.
A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.
A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPas. These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines - consult vehicle-OEM's owner's manual/handbook in case of doubt.

C: Catalyst & GPF/DPF compatible Engine Oils for Gasoline & Diesel Engines - "Low SAPS"

Note: These Oils will increase the DPF/GPF and TWC life and maintain the Vehicle's Fuel Economy.
Warning: Some of these Categories may be unsuitable for use in certain Engine Types - consult the vehicle- OEM's owner's manual/handbook in case of doubt.

C1 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Lowest SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 mPas.
C2 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 mPas.
C3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPas.
C4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Low SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPas.
C5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, for further improved Fuel Economy, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable and OEM-approved for use of Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.6 mPas.

SAPS: Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus, Sulphur
HTHS: High Temperature High Shear Viscosity
DI: Direct Injection
DPF: Diesel Particle Filter
GPF: Gasoline Particle Filter TWC: Three-Way Catalyst

Yeah I know very expensive!

Wow so much info! I've been trying to decipher this stuff for the last day or so!

Hmm that's interesting re the direct injection turbo and LSPI.

Would you say based on that the API rating is more important to ACEA? so the Shell Ultra which is C3 but SN would be superior to the Valvoline which is A5/B5 but only SL?

Just odd the owners manual says nothing about API rating and it only states that the car requires A5/B5. The saga Continues...

Any comments on dropping the oil at 1500km?

Originally Posted by rov137
so the Shell Ultra which is C3 but SN would be superior to the Valvoline which is A5/B5 but only SL?
Just odd the owners manual says nothing about API rating and it only states that the car requires A5/B5.
Any comments on dropping the oil at 1500km?

C3 SN being "newer spec" does not mean it has superiority over A5/B5 SL.Its is in theory a different application spec
I am currently on the second run using Motul 913D specific which is Ford wss 913D approved and is SL and A5 also being (in theory) the best manufacturer approved solution even today in my Ford fiesta (which specced 913B certification nowobsolete after 913C and 913D).
The Valvoline FE 5W30 is Ford WSS-M2C-913D Approved, Jaguar Land Rover STJLR 03.5003 Approved.So basically the same thing as I use.If you trust the Ford way use that.
I cannot think about a reason not to change the oil at 1500km
Surely does not harm anything.

Changing out the oil early on with a new vehicle is a personal decision. You will get answers both ways on that. For me personally, I change it out early. It gives me peace of mind.

In Australia I would use the A5-B5 rating. Shell Helix is available as I understand.

Wow! Manufacturer says you can use A5 or A3. There is a big difference between those 2 oil specs. Being a new vehicle, I would concentrate on using the A5.

FWIW, there is apparently an A5/B5 Helix Ultra, but it only seems to be available in bulk quantities...

Helix Ultra Professional AF 5W-30
Fully synthetic motor oil Tailored to meet engine manufacturers special requirements. Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5W-30 is designed to meet the demanding requirements of particular high-performance engines, including Ford and those requiring ACEA A5/B5. Shell and Ford have local relationships in many countries, and Shell is a major supplier to Ford in India and the USA. Passes an extensive range of performance tests to meet engine oil specification WSS-M2C913-C/D. Specifications: API SL, ACEA A5/B5; Ford WSS-M2C913-C/D; Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5003. Available in 20L, 209L

Thanks for all the responses much appreciated!
Seems like the general consensus here is to meet the ACEA (A5/b5) spec before anything else - guess it was just confusing that my manual states that A5 is preferred but so is helix which I cannot access easily.

Interesting to learn you can buy an A5 helix it in bulk! Would be perfect if the Helix Ultra professional A5/b5 was available in a 5L or something. Sounds like the A5/b5 valvoline that the service department would be ok for me and not such a bad oil.

I was looking at this Penrite oil earlier but it's 5w40. It says that where A5/b5 is needed for fuel economy.. which is a bit weird - https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/penrite-penrite-hpr-5-engine-oil---5w-40-6-litre/518961.html?vid=Y0JJTSANQGugMGLQh8qEpA%3D%3D&cgid=SCA01070403

Any thoughts on 5w30 vs 5w40. From what I can understand 5w30 is more applicable to me and a bit better?

Yeah it is odd you can use either A5 or a3 - but only if A5 isn't in your country it says - which it is.

Maybe I'll check the oil before the 1500km service and see if it is still a golden honey color.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Wow! Manufacturer says you can use A5 or A3. There is a big difference between those 2 oil specs. Being a new vehicle, I would concentrate on using the A5.

Hyundai Manuals recommend changing the oil the first time at 2k miles. At least our 1.6T Tucson Manual says this. 5k normal following and 3k for severe service.

OP,

Find a 5w30 meeting A5 and preferably SN+ if you can.

Vanilla Mobil1 5w-30, available at WalMart, is A5/B5, API SN, SN+ and dexos 1 gen 2. I would stick with 5w-30.

Great choice but he's in Australia.

My manual says nothing about an oil change until the first proper service at 10, 000km. Even the service department said I'm the only one who has asked to have the oil changed at the 1500km inspection.

I think I'd feel more comfortable having it done given it's a turbo car.

That Vanilla Mobil1 oil looks perfect.. but yeah not available here in Aus. I'll keep looking for a 5w30 A5/b5 SN+ oil but failing that I guess A5/b5 takes preference?

Edit

This seems to fit A5 and SN+. It is very expensive though!! Worth it?

https://www.m1oils.com.au/product/mobil-1-5w-30/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Vanilla Mobil1 5w-30, available at WalMart, is A5/B5, API SN, SN+ and dexos 1 gen 2. I would stick with 5w-30.

Great choice but he's in Australia.

Ooops! Doh!

Hyundai's response for anyone interested:

Upon further confirmation with the Technical Department, we have been advised the below,

The oil grade is critical to the engine and Hyundai Motor Company (HMC) strongly advice against using a grade that does not meet the manufactures recommendations. HMC stipulate to use only ACEA A5/B5 ore above.

"ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

ACEA A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate (HTHS) viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s"

HMC promote Shell oils, and we (Hyundai Motor Company Australia) promote Caltex oils.

Shell Helix 5/30 oil meets ACEA A5/B5 (Shell Ultra does not meet ACEA A5/B5)

With regard to the first 1 Month/1500k service, the oil and filter are inspected not replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back