2019 Husqvarna FS450 Supermoto Mystik 15w50 RACE UOA

Notes on this machine: FULL on professional race bike & set up. Magenti Marelli / GET electronics suite w/ sensors & telemetry, custom Ohlins cartridges up front & in the rear WP w/ our own proprietary valving. Motor at this sample was stock internally w/ FULL FMF 4.1 system, dynoed 57.9hp at the rear (2100' amsl) Suter slipper clutch. Fuel of choice for this race was VP110 as we did not have time to develop a additional map for Q16. This bike has 22 hours total on it at time of sample w/ 4 of those hours for this race / race weekend. Race was the last SM National in Tucson AZ racing in the pro class. We have a dyno internally & this bike was broken in properly on said dyno. Redline for this motorcycle is 11.5K, gearing was ok but could have bee a touch better in quite a few sections so we were definitely bouncing off the limiter. Weekend consisted of 2 FULL days of practice, qualifying & for us two final races (4 hours total). Oil used was Mystik 15w50 and has been since we broke it on on the supplied Motorrex 15w50. I list all the above information to paint a picture of how the machine is employed etc.

Conclusions: Clearly the oil sheared to a 30wt & lead is though the roof, however TBN is strong. But at the time of the race our rev limiter was set up as spark cut vs. fuel cut. As mentioned the gearing for the track was not quite right & we were on the rev limiter quite a bit which leads to excessive fuel. Combine this w/ ultra short piston skirts & high crank pressures, etc (modern 450's) in a racing environment Its my thought this is fairly acceptable. We have since changed our limiter protocol to a fuel cut & corrected gearing. I am going to run this oil again w/ these changes, same hours, same track & then run another sample. If we get the same trend I am thinking a straight 40wt or 20w50 to get the shear under control.

Anyway I thought I would share with this forum even though I am not very active at all. Of course any comments or observations are welcome
smile.gif

* I should add for those not familiar VP110 fuel is leaded

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 78
Last edited:
Nice UOA. The viscosity loss might be a combo of shear and 2% fuel dilution. I'd say the oil is doing just fine except you are WAY off of Mystic's specs. You could try the M1, 15W-50 or 10W-40 racing 4t or similar Amsoil product and see if the shear changes. As both the Amsoil and M1 motorcycle oils are among the most shear resistant of oils in those viscosity ranges. The Amsoil 10W-40 being a little more viscous at 100c @ 14.2 vs 13.4 for the M1.

The M1 15W-50 is fairly shear resistant in MC use. It also has a great HTHS viscosity at 150c of 4.5 or so. And 18 cSt at 100c.

Mystic publishes info for the 15W-50 of 19.5 cSt at 100c. You are way off of that.

Oh, and how about a few pics of the bike!!!

I'm an old guy who, due to health problems, can't ride anymore. But my idea of heaven is populated with big-bore dirt bikes! My last bike was a KTM 380EXC, and it was down on power...

Last edited:
I would be curious to see how T4 Rotella 15w40 would fare in comparison. Surely it would hold its own in 4 hours.

a race only machine needs racing oil, + of course Redline comes to mind to protect your investment. you can call + get recommendations from one of their techs.

He's way off of the published viscosity numbers because it has a flashpoint of 350 due to the fuel dilution. That's no fault of the oil. He outlined why the fuel content was so high.

Nothing wrong with running a synthetic oil, but this UOA shows great wear numbers. My feeling is why would he need to run a synthetic to protect his investment?

The engine is defiantly high out put. Frequent oil changes are probably a good thing considering its use.

Thank you for everyone's input & comments this a great forum & I am glad I could contribute, hopefully I can keep it interesting.

Update: I did have a lengthy conversation w/ Dave @ Red Line today. GREAT GREAT customer service & I am not even a customer yet! He actually felt the oil held up really well considering the heavy fuel dilution and agreed the wear numbers looked good in such an extreme environment. He agreed with my strategy of running another race simulation on Mystik 15w50 w/ the corrected limiter protocol and gearing. Then sample again. I was blown away, most companies would recommend their product as a cure much less say a competitor oil held up well. I told him we would do that w/ the Mystik & then run another identical race simulation using Redline RACING 40wt (15w40), which is what he recommended for our application. Both samples will be sent to Dave and will share them on here as well. Right now we are in a holding pattern b/c of COVID19 and the track is closed but the owner said he will let me know when we can get back to it. As a side note I also race two Yamaha R1's which we will be running the same sampling program & I will make sure to post as well in a separate thread. As for everyones input plz see my responses below:

Originally Posted by Cujet
Nice UOA. The viscosity loss might be a combo of shear and 2% fuel dilution. I'd say the oil is doing just fine except you are WAY off of Mystic's specs. You could try the M1, 15W-50 or 10W-40 racing 4t or similar Amsoil product and see if the shear changes. As both the Amsoil and M1 motorcycle oils are among the most shear resistant of oils in those viscosity ranges. The Amsoil 10W-40 being a little more viscous at 100c @ 14.2 vs 13.4 for the M1.

The M1 15W-50 is fairly shear resistant in MC use. It also has a great HTHS viscosity at 150c of 4.5 or so. And 18 cSt at 100c.

Mystic publishes info for the 15W-50 of 19.5 cSt at 100c. You are way off of that.

Oh, and how about a few pics of the bike!!!

I'm an old guy who, due to health problems, can't ride anymore. But my idea of heaven is populated with big-bore dirt bikes! My last bike was a KTM 380EXC, and it was down on power...

Cujet thank you & I will look into a hosting site for pics to be uploaded. Shes a neat little machine w/ quite a bit of work into her.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I would be curious to see how T4 Rotella 15w40 would fare in comparison. Surely it would hold its own in 4 hours.

Kris we feel the Mystik has a more robust additive package & that is why we ran it. Rotella is great oil just felt in this application the Mystik held the edge. Our biggest issue right now is excessive fuel

Originally Posted by benjy
a race only machine needs racing oil, + of course Redline comes to mind to protect your investment. you can call + get recommendations from one of their techs.

Ben you are correct sir & we do have experience w/ both Motorex & Motul. The results were not worth the price point of the oil considering that our change interval is every race and or practice. However that being said if things do not improve we will sample Redline while continuing to run short OCI's.

Originally Posted by Olas
Redline oil and sprocket changes
wink.gif

Soon sir!

Originally Posted by Bonz
He's way off of the published viscosity numbers because it has a flashpoint of 350 due to the fuel dilution. That's no fault of the oil. He outlined why the fuel content was so high.

Nothing wrong with running a synthetic oil, but this UOA shows great wear numbers. My feeling is why would he need to run a synthetic to protect his investment?

Bonz, we agree 100%. Fuel is our biggest problem.

Originally Posted by CT8
The engine is defiantly high out put. Frequent oil changes are probably a good thing considering its use.

CT8 its getting ready to be even higher. We have built a 2nd motor w/ the head decked, ported & polished. Cam & valves. Funny thing we learned at the National, we were probably a good 10hp from the rest of the field in the pro class.

Last edited:
2% fuel is a huge amount and will skew everything

the additives in the fuel will produce different readings as well

your lead of 2533 is a massive amount

my highest reading of 606 was for 4.5hrs of motor time

the rest of your numbers are very good
you wasted your money on a tbn...you are only going 5hrs

yes it will because its a leaded fuel

and the motor is really the ktm 450 ... husky is basically just a white ktm with different plastic/dodads. the major components are all ktm.
think of it as chevy/gmc

Originally Posted by sunruh

Sunruh you race Hare Scrambles correct? What fuel were you using when you got 606 reading?

and the motor is really the ktm 450 ... husky is basically just a white ktm with different plastic/dodads. the major components are all ktm.
think of it as chevy/gmc

White KTM's are FASTER....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Metric_Twins

Sunruh you race Hare Scrambles correct? What fuel were you using when you got 606 reading?

think of it as chevy/gmc

White KTM's are FASTER....
grin2.gif

yes i race hare scrambles, enduros, gncc....pretty sure it was Howell 002 at that point in time
ive used C12 as well
non-leaded ms103 is very good as well

UPDATE: This UOA was take post conditions same as before, FULL race weekend w/ 3 full days to include practice, qualifying & two races, however we were one hour less on the clock (3hr vs 4hr) Changes made; switched to an fuel cut for the rev limiter vs. ignition cut in a effort to clean up the lead contamination from the race fuel. At 1618 vs 2533 I would say we were successful. TBN remained the same, but we got the flash point down and the viscosity up. Wear has dropped some too. Next report will be in a new thread running HPL 15w50 mc specific oil. While I indicated I would give Redline a try, I picked up a partial sponsorship from HPL since I have a few cases here I will give it a run next. Enjoy !

Attachments

• 19 HUSQVARNA-200710.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 80
I would think if the sole purpose is to not have any shear, then straight 40 is the key.
Another option is Mobile 1 motorcycle oil (or Amsoil), which has been shown to be a formula that holds up in shared sump bikes. Maybe better said, thickens with time, so in a shared sump bike, it holds up.
As far as wear numbers and Mystic, Im sure you will see it is competitive with the above oils.

Alarmguy: Yeah wear numbers are looking good. I have two full cases of HPL 15w50 here now so I am interested to see how it holds up as there is very little data for HPL MC specific oils.

Cujet your wish is my command !
IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_9499.jpeg
IMG_9552.JPG

Back