2019 f550 6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got a new f550 6.7 have seen ford changed spec to synthetic and to 5w 40 for the f550 what is recommended I know has been talked about was wondering what others are using and like im thinking rotella or motorcraft want best oil for my hard working service truck.

Just pick any 5W-40 synthetic HDEO, that meets the proper Ford spec and you will not have any oil related problems.

Honestly, we run 15w40 in our 6.7s that see SEVERE service. The OLM comes up every month, 2000 road miles and probably around 400-450 total hours.

Last edited:
Agree ^ I would also opt for the 15W-40 in severe service - if it has the proper certification, for warranty purposes. If not - I would stick with 5W-40 (with Ford spec)...after warranty period I would run a 15W-40 for sure.

was thinking the same any particular brand ? and is semi synthetic a good choice? we had some 2014 6.7 years ago we ran delo 15w40 in had no oil issues

I heard that these 6.7 has a ceramic coating in there turbos and that is why they took issues with the CK-4 oils. Yet, there were CJ-4 oils that were lower in there zinc or ZDDP that Ford never made an issue of.

Originally Posted by NH73
I heard that these 6.7 has a ceramic coating in there turbos and that is why they took issues with the CK-4 oils. Yet, there were CJ-4 oils that were lower in there zinc or ZDDP that Ford never made an issue of.

The big issues with the turbo in the pickups was the design.

They were concerned about valve train wear, specifically the rocker arms, with CK4 oils, not the turbos. The turbo in the pickups is different from the cab and chassis trucks.

The valve train is unique to the 6.7. 32 valves, 32 rocker arms, 32 pushrods, and a unique hydraulic lifter that utilizes 2 small hydraulic tappets in an oversize roller assembly.

Last edited:
Mattd: thank you for all your great info
smile.gif

I enjoy your posts sir
10.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back