2019 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Castrol Edge EP 5W30 - 7438mi

Overall I think this oil did great, but I have to get my silicon under control. I will be checking my air filter out as I have driven down some dusty roads but other than that I'm not sure why it continues to stay elevated. Fuel dilution is up from last OCI but did not bring viscosity out of spec. I am definitely surprised to see the TBN be this low for an "Extended Protection" oil that is claimed to last 15k. My new fill is QSUD 5W30 as suggested on previous UOA post and will be open to suggestions for the next OCI as well. Let me know what y'all think!

Attachments

• Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 645
Nice results. EDGE EP is a very good oil. The oil held its viscosity well considering the fuel.

What’s the total mileage on your F-150? Overall it’s not too bad of a report. I would hold the OCI down to 5,000 miles. That’s the plan for my F-150. The QSUD is a good oil and I wouldn’t hesitate using it. For that matter, Mobil 1 original is another good choice. If you drive in a dusty environment, I would change the air filter out. Go with a WIX or NAPA Gold.

Also, what kind of driving do you do? I am wondering if there is a correlation between driving (city/highway) and the percent of time the direct vs port injectors are in use. Do let the auto start-stop function or do you disable it?

I had 22,500 on this OCI and currently I'm at a little over 23k. As far as the OCIs go I'm pretty happy with 7.5k as I primarily drive highway and the oil spends a lot of time at full operating temp to keep moisture build up from occurring. The dusty conditions are not too often, maybe 10-20 miles worth on an OCI. I did go ahead and changed the air filter to a WIX so we will see how that helps.

As far as the dual injection goes, my truck is tuned through 5star and I have ngauge mounted where I can keep an eye on the parameters. There is a PID for % DI fuel flow where I can see what the dual injection is doing as far as balance between DI and PFI. On cold start it is 100% DI until engine temp goes to 145F then goes to 100%PFI and stays that way at hot idle. While driving it will vary DI percentage based on engine load. Light driving or cruising it will be mostly PFI to the point it will use 100% PFI if the conditions are right. With high engine loads such as towing or climbing hills it sees more DI up to 90% from what I have seen.

TLOVE
Good choice in changing out the air filter. Ford recommendeds 30,000 miles for normal service. So, you’re close enough. There was a thread here recently, that compared Motorcraft air filters to the WIX/NAPA Gold. It noted how much more beefy the WIX/NAPA Gold were.

Wix has always been my go to when it wasn't OEM and I wish wix had the XP line of oil filter for the 2.7. I wish we had some more robust choices of oil filters in general.

TLOVE
Pretty much all cartridge filters are very similar. I’m okay with the Motorcraft oil filter or WIX.

TLOVE
Pretty much all cartridge filters are very similar. I’m okay with the Motorcraft oil filter or WIX.

Back in '15 I went to the Autoparts and opened every brand of Oil Filter for the 2.7EB they had. They were all the same German made cartridge as the Motorcraft. Only difference was the box and the price.

I find it interesting that if you ignore everything else... The MC Blend had less oxidation, nitration and higher TBN. When you consider the relative miles on the engine the only thing I can point to is the GII/GIII Blend shears slightly more. That's likely because it requires more VII than a VIII/PAO (If Edge hasn't changed) blend. Just looking at them I think MC Blend may get a bum rap around here. It really looks pretty good all things considered.

Before someone points out the 4 ppm in iron I want to point out that's in the noise and even if it wasn't that run had residual from initial fill and was on a younger engine.

I figured as much with the filters as I opened a few at WM and O'Reilly.

I'm not entirely sure where the MC Blend came from but the 2 OCIs on the report is #1 PP 5w30 and #2 Edge EP 5w30.

All good, my truck was a demo that had 3k on it when I bought it and I changed the oil as soon as I got her home. That OCI was missed along with the 2nd one at 7.5k.

All good, my truck was a demo that had 3k on it when I bought it and I changed the oil as soon as I got her home. That OCI was missed along with the 2nd one at 7.5k.

Back to the last OCI. The Castrol EP looks like it's a reasonable 10,000 mi OCI Oil for that engine assuming you do it in 12 months and the IOLM concurs for warranty purposes. It's definitely holding up on viscosity. Since that engine was likely designed to run a 5W-20 and uses 5W-30 because of shearing and dilution concerns as long as I could keep the TBN up around 2.0 and the Viscosity to 8.2 cSt or better I would be happy.

I have been very happy with it. I run the 93 perf/tow tune and really like how my truck responds all while still getting pretty good mpgs.

EDGE holds its viscosity really well, even when there is fuel dilution.

Back