2019 EA888 stalling issues discussed on VWVortex

wemay

Site Donor 2023

Quote from "Rennwerks"

Clearly there is a lot of speculation as to what is causing the 2019 manual transmission (but not the DSG) GTIs and GLIs to have a low-rpm stalling issue. As reflected above, VoA has now issued a TSB -- that directs re-coding the engine control unit ["ECU"]) -- to address the problem. I don't doubt for a moment that VoA and VW AG have put a lot of effort into correcting the problem (likely motivated, in part, by the looming prospect of class-action lawsuits and the like).
Reflashing the ECU may do the trick. (Essentially, the re-coding "tells" the fuel pump and ignition systems that the engine is not being turned off and to continue running at the reduced engine rpm.) This fix, IMHO, is a work-around. A reasonably sophisticated one, but a work-around nonetheless. It (again, IMHO) is motived by VW AG's desire to enable the EA888 engine to perform satisfactorily on 0W-20 weight motor oil, despite the fact that the engine was designed and engineered to use a heavier-weight motor oil (0W-40 or 5W-40). And, in this regard -- for those who are only now being introduced to this issue -- the device that is most immediately affected by engine oil pressure is the variable valve timing solenoid. Depending on the oil pressure through the value, an electrical signal is sent to the ECU. Just as oil pressure would cease when the engine is turn off using the ignition key, the same electrical signal is sent to the ECU when the engine rpm falls to and below a normal idle speed. In other words, when the oil pressure falls precipitously, the ECU turns the engine off, just as if it had been done with the ignition key. So, what's a better "fix"? Obviously, maintain "normal" idle oil pressure. It's just that simple. How can that be done? That too is simple enough: Use the oil weight previously specified for the EA888 engine before VW AG went on its most recent quest for increased fuel economy. I.e., 0W-40 weight oil (Castrol 0W-40 would my choice), or Mobil 1 0W-40, macht nichts).
Footnote, of sorts: You should know that neither VoA nor VW AG can official advise 2019 GTI/GLI owners to return to the oil weight previously specified. Why, you ask? Because the vehicles were certified to the NHTSA and the EPA as emissions compliant with 0W-20 weight oil. To change the oil specification to 0W-40, VW AG would be required to re-perform the certifications testing. That testing would cost millions. Literally. So, the work-around "fix" is the one now being authorized: re-coding the ECU. This may work. Then again, it may not. But, once again IMHO, there is no free lunch. The re-coding may solve one problem and create others. We will know as more owners have their cars "fixed".

Screenshot_20200730-075822_Chrome.jpg

I dont have a EA888 but the EA211. A different animal, but still employing VVT on the I and E.

I had notice the need for proper oil viscosity. the 0W20 is to skinny and the 0W40 to fat. A 5W30 ILASC would be just right.

I approximated that by topping of my fresh sump - that was burning off at an alarming rate - with M1 0W40 FS. I have about 3/4 litre in there now and that is on top of the "skinny" ( and pricey! ) MOTUL VW508 00 / 509 00

Engine is happy with this. I have an OCI coming up in the fall. Since I am turning the lease in in December - I'll let the dealer toss whatever at it.

And "Good luck Chuck" to the next owner.

I firmly believe that 5W30 VW 504.00/507.00 oil is the best choice for the EA888 engines. I would be running it in my Tiguan if it wasn’t for the warranty concerns.

Or, add a Stage 1/2 tune, run the 5W40, and don't worry about the warranty. Sorted. 🤣

As long as I can find it in 5qt jugs as well as qt bottles, I may go with PP Euro L 5w30.

Screenshot_20200730-144737_Chrome.jpg

Haven't decided on a tune but have no concerns about viscosity risking warranty either. 😁
Agreed - the paranoia about the warranty thing is hilarious and so unlikely.

Wemay
Wouldn’t Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 be a better fit?

If i was planning to stay the course with a 10k mi oci, maybe. But my plan is 5-7.5k. I also can't find Euro LX as easily for some reason. But good suggestion, and what Pennzoil recommend on their online lookup tool.

You can also look for Valvoline European Vehicle XL-III. It's 504.00 & 507.00. You can find the PDS here. Valvoline re-did their website and supposedly is using a new formula. It's being discussed right now in the non-euro oil section here.

I have a 19 GLI w/DSG I’m going to put the Mobil 1 European formula 0w40 FS In it for the first oil change.

A lubrication related failure early on is pretty unlikely and would be a failed component not weight related

If anything they may ask for oil change receipts but if your engine doesn’t look sludged they probably don’t even do that. At least for FCA I don’t.

I feel something other than 508 is better for long term. 508 looks good on paper but let’s face it the ea888 was designed for heavier oil and this is a cafe move. Could be wrong if we are changing at 5k mileage that 0w20 could be fine for the realistic life of the vehicle. But I’ll take my risk and run the heavier euro oils that are 229.5, A40 approved

508 doesn't look good on paper to me, IN fact it looks like a ILSAC GF5 product.

So good old American 5W30 is no good for the EA888?

You guys have been telling me for over a decade that its good stuff!

Is the 888 a grenade? Poor design? Bad materials?

I wouldn't jump two HTHS hurdles. increasing HTHS from 2.5cP > 3.5 is a BIG leap.
With ILSAC 5w30 is in the middle. Why not go there?

Lured buy the wondrous mysteries of German Lubricants?

The old Green German Castrol 0W30 "magic fairy dust" curse of old returns?

508 doesn't look good on paper to me, IN fact it looks like a ILSAC GF5 product.

So good old American 5W30 is no good for the EA888?

You guys have been telling me for over a decade that its good stuff!

Is the 888 a grenade? Poor design? Bad materials?

I wouldn't jump two HTHS hurdles. increasing HTHS from 2.5cP > 3.5 is a BIG leap.
With ILSAC 5w30 is in the middle. Why not go there?

Lured buy the wondrous mysteries of German Lubricants?

The old Green German Castrol 0W30 "magic fairy dust" curse of old returns?

Meh I don’t really call it jumping 2 hurdles. The Euro 5w40 and 5w30 was spec in 2018. The change to 0w20 is IMO a cafe move. Like I did probably be fine for most owners in there ownership of the vehicle.

My thoughts is the MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 are better euro specs so on a turbo charged engine I want a bit thicker oil for the long term of my engine. Not that 0w40 euros are super heavy anyways

No reason for me to run a generic 5w30 IMO the euro spec oils are better

It doesn't matter what spec is "better", you have to start with the proper viscosity at operating temp for the specific engine and work from there.
The careless idiots at the VW dealer put 5W40 in mine. Ran terrible. Engine hated it and never recovered its good LTA fuel mileage of 39-42MPG for some reason. 1 cP is a "mile wide" difference in a modern engine. Not a "Meh" difference. I would rethink your position.

IN My Jetta The transaxle now has a vibration under light load that can be felt through the shifter. If it was my car I would push for inspection and service correction. My lesson learned over decade is: don't waste you time running to the dealer service dept for subtle problems.
No MIL ? problem doesn't exist until parts are falling off the vehicle. This is an easy decision for me, as I am leasing, and I am nearing lease end.
It is VW's car. Not mine.

For the Jetta 1.4T it makes sense. But as MattPersman has said, the EA888 has been tied at the hip with a 3.5 hths for over a decade. I'm sure a 2.6 and 2.9 will suffice but 3.5 was what it was designed to use.

I really question the 2.6 in most anything. The wife's Subaru 2.0 is still alive, but it's not a powerhouse by and means and it can still get very clattery and weak after a 75 mile commute form NH to Plymouth to visit Mom!

I think my solution is pretty satisfactory - if even accidentally brilliant:
Use the VW 508 00 / 509 00 as a base oil and add in the the porsche A40 juice of choice till the motor doesnt get noisy when heat soaked. You have High spec oil in there and the required dye tags. You may only need o.5 l of the A40 to get the desired result. And that is where I would start with and OC. That's all my 1.4 tsi wanted.

The 1.4 is a US economy engine first. The GLI GTI ea888 is a more performance oriented engine first that has some economy. It was set out in the US with 502 oils. Govt cafe pushing for fuel economy. VW has to develop something aka code name 508 with Castrol to try to make it through warranty period and get the small gain in Fuel economy

That’s the reason. It’s not to allow you to track your GTI GLI reliably on the weekend

Back