2019 Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I have 100 miles on my Crosstrek Premium. I absolutely love the car. If I had to choose I would take it over my Forester. Gas mileage was a true 33mpg in suburban driving with 4 trips. It has the same road clearance as my Forester (8.7"). It handles probably better than my Forester XT. I did put the heavy duty stabilizer on the XT so they may be equal now.

It sits very very high. Rear visibility is not as good as the Forester, but better than most cars. I removed the rear seat head rests so it is now great. The only safety features I got was the blind spot detection which actually senses speed and distance to your left and right well before it is in your blind spot. and the rear view camers has a feature where it senses if a car is going perpendicular to my vehicle. The backup camera has 2 orange lines that will actally curve depending on the amount of steering used.

The infotainment system is good. It has Car Play. I got the premium bc it had a sun roof.

People that say its slow need to get a life. Its not slow by any means. Sure..it can't compete with my XT but neither can the overwhelming percentage of cars on the road. The XT is quicker than any other non luxury SUV on the road. and its as quicker than the BMW X3. It has the sport mode with paddle chifters. Iit gets up to 50 mph faster than most vehicles on the road I would say. I haven merged with traffic. But its the quickest of any vehicles I have had in the last 57 yers other than my '69 camaro.

I don't know where folks are coming from saying its slow. Test drive one your self.

The car had 7 miles on it when I got it. So the only miles it has is from the factory and the idiots that beat the crap out of it loading/uloading from boats/trucks. Buty that is actually a good thing for a brand new car. Its steady low rpms that is the problem. Well, that's it.

So faults I can not point out any problems except car play/iphone are not perfect. But that's the nature of car play. Granted, I love Subarus (as most know). But I would be first on here so say what I don't like about it. Its going to be hard getting a great deal especially in the car Color/options) you want. They are outselling every vehicle in the U.S. relative to how many can be manufactured. Subaru is producing all they can. My price was 200 over invoice. If I were not selective on exactly with respect to the exact one I wanted, I might have left 1000 on the table. But so be it.

I will certainly point out any future problems. BTW..the XT has 12,000 miles on it and not a hint of a problem.

It probably was shipped by rail from Indiana.

A lot of people here judge vehicles solely by speed or power. To each their own but there is more to a vehicle than 0-60.

Well,

I guess is time to start telling grandson "You better make me some gran-gran kids, I need to carry them around".....

Congrats!

P.S. Do I feel a granpa smile?

On Car Play make sure your iPhone is updated and also you use a MFi-certified lightning cord. That means Apple, Anker, Amazon data cable.... not the cheap chargers.

My wife found her iPhone SE to be pretty glitchy with CarPlay but alas she got a iPhone XR and my iPhone 7 do quite well in our 18 Tiguan.

We have a 07 Impreza left over from our three sons university days. It was one of the slowest in it's class at the time..Still a wonderful vehicle. Looks and runs like new after over 160,000 miles...with one clutch and a main/header cat as the non maintenance items needing replacing (including timing belt).. Congrats and enjoy.!

Congrats Al. They did a nice job on the Crosstrek. It even looks nice. The Crosstrek is at the top of my list for my next car. It's between that and the Tacoma. I know someone that works at Subaru Headquarters, which is about 20 minutes from where I live. I'm hoping he can at least put me in touch with a someone who will just give me a good deal without all the nonsense.

Al does it have X-Mode? How are you breaking in the engine? I don't think it matters anymore how you break an engine in.

My Legacy 2.5i is what most people would consider slow, but I consider it adequate; and the increased gas-mileage is nice. I test-drove an Impreza Sport before buying my '15 Legacy used, and the one reason I didn't buy was because it was painfully slow. I decided that, if I'm going to own a slow car, it might as well be larger and more practical and an auto.

I've driven slow MT's in the past and had no issues with them, but this thing felt sporty, so the slowness was really messing with my brain in a bad way. I don't mean have-to-ring-it-out slow; I mean that it would cumbersome to drive and not fun at all. CVT? I didn't test drive one of those, so I can't comment.

//

Besides that, I absolutely love the new Crosstreks. If they ever put a 1.6L or 1.8L FADIT in this thing it will be in strong contention for my next vehicle. As-is - nope! I'm not asking for XT level power, just enough to actually enter the short on-ramp I use every day without having to mash the go pedal to the floor.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
without having to mash the go pedal to the floor.

What's wrong with that? I do it all the time in my 530i.

Congratulations, Al.
I drove a Crosstrek Limited as a loaner for a few days recently and enjoyed it very much.
Thanks for your perspective regarding the Forester vs. Crosstrek.

What color did you get?

Congratulations, Al.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have recommended that anyone looking for an great practical vehicle, owes it to themselves to give the Crosstrek a look. High ground clearance, small turning radius, good fuel economy, great outward visibility, and an airy open feel inside.

Absolutely my favorite car that I've owned to date. Did a road trip last summer to Canada with four passengers and luggage aboard, never ever had issues with power. And averaged high twenties in fuel economy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
Congrats Al. They did a nice job on the Crosstrek. It even looks nice. The Crosstrek is at the top of my list for my next car. It's between that and the Tacoma. I know someone that works at Subaru Headquarters, which is about 20 minutes from where I live. I'm hoping he can at least put me in touch with a someone who will just give me a good deal without all the nonsense.

Al does it have X-Mode? How are you breaking in the engine? I don't think it matters anymore how you break an engine in.

Yes Xmode and CVT

I of course do not drive it hard but I drive it maybe 10 percent of the time with the paddles. I have had it maybe 3 times like 1200 below red line. With the CVT you can't very rpms much. Hence jumping the rpm's around

asset.php

Last edited:
Did you like it better than the '19 Forester built on the same platform? Does it have a power seat?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Are you still super disappointed when you do so????

sister has an 18 impreza sport same DOGGY engine, dont try to pass on a hill unless you can see a mile + good luck with the CVT!! VW's get similar mpg's with better performance + 6yr 60 thou bumper to bumper warranty + a real automatic tranny or my fav a manual. people are buffalowed with AWD when 4 snow tires will actually do better than AWD with all season but winter tyres, no thanks on anything but a manual shifted WRX or an STI if i could afford one!

Originally Posted by benjy
sister has an 18 impreza sport same DOGGY engine, dont try to pass on a hill unless you can see a mile + good luck with the CVT!! VW's get similar mpg's with better performance + 6yr 60 thou bumper to bumper warranty + a real automatic tranny or my fav a manual. people are buffalowed with AWD when 4 snow tires will actually do better than AWD with all season but winter tyres, no thanks on anything but a manual shifted WRX or an STI if i could afford one!

You have not driven a Subaru deep snow or you would not made that statement. My 08 Forester could easily make it up a steep stoned driveway in winter with deep snow. My daughter's FWD dedicated Blizzicks (spell) never got close. And my 08 was not in the same league as the new subarus. The way the sensors are set up all four wheels get traction. You have not compared (likely) so you have no clu..sorry.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Are you still super disappointed when you do so????

LoL. No. At least I can keep up with traffic then.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by benjy

People with VW's can't go through anything because they are always at the dealership getting fixed.

A Subaru with decent tires is a beast in the snow. My 03 Forester was plowing through 20"'s with ease. It was also excellent in the sand.

"People that say its slow need to get a life. Its not slow by any means. Sure..it can't compete with my XT but neither can the overwhelming percentage of cars on the road. The XT is quicker than any other non luxury SUV on the road. and its as quicker than the BMW X3. It has the sport mode with paddle chifters. Iit gets up to 50 mph faster than most vehicles on the road I would say. I haven merged with traffic. But its the quickest of any vehicles I have had in the last 57 yers other than my '69 camaro.

I don't know where folks are coming from saying its slow. Test drive one your self."

I have driven one. Folks saying its slow are coming from reading nearly any review and driving things other than just Subaru. I think the Crosstrek is a very solid offering in its class, I truly do, but face it, it's slow AF. They've programmed it to be pleasantly punchy off-the-line but after that or when passing it's simply slow. As for your XT, I'm sure you're dusting X3s and keeping up with McLarens in it.

"Granted, I love Subarus (as most know). But I would be first on here so say what I don't like about it."

After reading your posts in this and other threads (Subaru>all), I somehow doubt that but hope you're right and I'm wrong!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gofast182
"Granted, I love Subarus (as most know). But I would be first on here so say what I don't like about it."

After reading your posts in this and other threads (Subaru>all), I somehow doubt that but hope you're right and I'm wrong!

I am a fanboy. But I would happily point out problems. The one thing that I have noticed is that reverse sounds like a low volume siren. The Forester does not have that sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back