2019 Chevrolet Colorado w/ 3.6L GDI V6 + 8-Speed Trans Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious about a long box 2WD version of the 2019 Colorado p/u. Seems most of the 2WD's for some reason are equipped with the 3.6 direct injection VVT V6 and GM is boasting 20/26 city/highway fuel economy on this combo w/ the 8-speed transmission.

Seems like a lot of engine for this size truck, what do you think?

Turbo or non-turbo

A lot of engine ? If turbo , maybe . If non-turbo , probably not .

And it depends on what you plan to use the truck for .

Good engine, just don't let the oil get low. Some complained about the 8-speed transmission when it first came out but I have not seen as many complaints since then. So not sure if the software updates fixed it or new fluids?

It, and the GMC Canyon, are on my short list to replace my current truck next year.

That Colorado is bigger than you think... I wonder, though, why that MPG is just about what I get in my 2wd Sierra with the 4.3? (more like 20/24) I was considering trading my '05 Colorado for a newer model, then realized that Colorado and full size cost almost the same, and get nearly the same MPG. Might as well get a truck that we fit in comfortably. (Our oldest son - 12 years - is already 5'10" and nowhere near finished growing!)

I like them well enough but tbh they seem overpriced, at least in the ads. Their MSRP's are way too close to full size trucks of similar trim levels, so unless dealers are actually selling them way lower with hefty money off MSRP then they may not be a good value.

I noticed Ford has done this same MSRP thing on the new Ranger-- basically a compact truck at pricing that starts to approach full size territory in some cases.

For a 2019 Colorado long box crew cab 2WD LT 3.6 I'd only go $27K out the door, tops. I might lay that gauntlet down to a couple local dealers, after driving one to make sure I even like how they drive.

4WD is out, don't need it, posi-trac (old school GM speak for locking diff) 2WD with good tires will do everything I need. 4WD for me would just add extra weight and wear and tear, including front tire wear from the camber settings necessary for 4WD.

To the best of my knowledge the failure of the long and complex timing chain system is not fixed, only improved enough so it does not fail in warranty. IMHO it is NOT a good engine. Give me pushrods.

Replacement requires the removal of the front of the engine. This is a $2000 + job, only that cheap because the engine does not need removed on the trucks. I have serious doubts a dealer mechanic can replace it without oil leaks later, only experience will tell.

You also have higher maintenance costs from the more frequent oil changes needed from the excess soot in the oil from the direct injection. This accelerates chain wear. You are talking 5K miles max, and you must be using Dexos oil.

Rebuild costs of the 8 speed are high, and eventually it will fail. The cost for that is more than the timing chain.

IMHO You can count on needing a major repair before 200K.

This is why the resale will be lower than something with quality.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

I noticed Ford has done this same MSRP thing on the new Ranger-- basically a compact truck at pricing that starts to approach full size territory in some cases.

While the ford dealer having service done I looked at a new Ranger. It was not totally loaded yet still listed for almost $47,000
crazy2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
To the best of my knowledge the failure of the long and complex timing chain system is not fixed, only improved enough so it does not fail in warranty. IMHO it is NOT a good engine. Give me pushrods.

Replacement requires the removal of the front of the engine. This is a $2000 + job, only that cheap because the engine does not need removed on the trucks. I have serious doubts a dealer mechanic can replace it without oil leaks later, only experience will tell.

You also have higher maintenance costs from the more frequent oil changes needed from the excess soot in the oil from the direct injection. This accelerates chain wear. You are talking 5K miles max, and you must be using Dexos oil.

Rebuild costs of the 8 speed are high, and eventually it will fail. The cost for that is more than the timing chain.

IMHO You can count on needing a major repair before 200K.

This is why the resale will be lower than something with quality.

You just described every modern Chevy.

This was discussed at length. It use a totally different system from the old one and has been fixed. It has the LGZ which is a variant of the LGX. Timing system shares nothing with the ones that had these issues.
GMboy make a really good post about it.

The LGZ was introduced in 2016 (The truck engine). The is the 4th gen 3.6. The LFX before it used in tons of cars has not exhibited the issue either. The LLT was the main culprit of timing chain failures. 2008 until 2011 or 2016-17 depending on platform.

The issue is GM used the LLT in a lot of cars for too long and people don't know the difference between the engines. It was used until 2016-17 in the Traverse/Enclave .GM should have stopped using that design all together in 2011. They are not going to us the LGZ or LGX in the current Traverse or Enclave instead they will use the LFX. It is a cost saving measure, not sure how but that is what they say.

The LLT was used up until 2011 in the CTS and various other platforms (Camaro, Holden, Lacrosse, Outlook). That is where your failures are.

LFX was used after the LLT has had some failures on par with other manufactures timing chains. Nothing like the LLT. The LLT timing system was just a bad design.

a nissan frontier is a better value for sure + NO direct injection issues because its still port injected. prices vary with cab styles + engines, manual cheaper but slush box an option. you said 2 wd so be aware pickups are very light in the rear + not good in slippy conditions. i love my preowned 2011 SV 4.0 V-6 with 6 spd manual + 4 WD + average 19 mpg with mostly local + some short trips in my hilly-mountainous area. plenty of room + good power as i haul coal yearly. GM + Ford are NUTS with their prices IMO!!!!

Last edited:
The 3.6 is garbage.

The GM 8 speed is garbage.

The truck itself is OK - I like the idea, but GM blew the execution IMO. Read consumer reviews and you'll find that there are a lot of problems with them - leaks, AC issues, trans problems, electronic bugs. Not sure if those were fixed with the 2019 models yet but from what I've read the problems still exist.

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/colorado/2018/crew-cab/consumer-reviews/

From what I can see, most people who buy these wish they went with the Silverado.

I'd get a 5.3 Custom Silverado and be done with it.

Also, why do you want 2WD?

Originally Posted by ls1mike

This was discussed at length. It use a totally different system from the old one and has been fixed. It has the LGZ which is a variant of the LGX. Timing system shares nothing with the ones that had these issues.
GMboy make a really good post about it.

The LGZ was introduced in 2016 (The truck engine). The is the 4th gen 3.6. The LFX before it used in tons of cars has not exhibited the issue either. The LLT was the main culprit of timing chain failures. 2008 until 2011 or 2016-17 depending on platform.

The issue is GM used the LLT in a lot of cars for too long and people don't know the difference between the engines. It was used until 2016-17 in the Traverse/Enclave .GM should have stopped using that design all together in 2011. They are not going to us the LGZ or LGX in the current Traverse or Enclave instead they will use the LFX. It is a cost saving measure, not sure how but that is what they say.

The LLT was used up until 2011 in the CTS and various other platforms (Camaro, Holden, Lacrosse, Outlook). That is where your failures are.

LFX was used after the LLT has had some failures on par with other manufactures timing chains. Nothing like the LLT. The LLT timing system was just a bad design.

For the most part, this.

GM replaced engine problems with trans problems though. Still a major powertrain issue.

The gripe I have with the new 3.6 is the torque curve. There's NO WAY I would hook 5000 lbs up to that truck and tow in the mountains with it. It's rated for 7k but there's no way I would trust that figure.

I test drove a 3.6 Colorado and it was just awful. I felt like I was driving a 90's Isuzu. It makes NO power until you are over 4000 RPMs, then the engine sounds like an angry 350Z. Don't let the sound deadening and tech features fool you - this truck was designed in the late-2000's, and it rides and drives like one, too.

Friend of mine just traded in a 2017 Canyon on a 2019 Ranger Limited. Took a loss.
The GM had transmission issues that were unsolvable - mostly around shuddering.

oilpsi2high, I only need 2WD I don't do off-roading and if winter weather is really bad I stay home until the roads are cleared. I grew up on pick 'em up trucks, definitely aware of their light rear ends when not loaded. And those were 1976 Chevy 3/4 ton Cheyenne as one of my college beaters in the early 80's, an old F150, and the last p/u I had was a 1994 Dodge Dakota short box standard cab sport with limited slip diff and the 5.2L "magnum" V8 (i.e. the old chrysler 318 c.i. v8 tweaked w/ port injection). But it was a lot of motor for that small truck ... well a lot of torque anyhow. After 12 yrs of use I handed it down to my son as his first car in high school. He lost control of it twice and wrecked into stuff off side of the road by doing what a teenage boy gonna do w/ a V8 and limited slip diff.

benjy: I might need to consider Nissan, although I think while they make a quality product that's well engineered, their styling doesn't do anything for me. And I actually mean that more for their cars and suv's than their trucks, but their full size truck I have to say I think the front end grille and fascia is unattractive, especially the weird vertical arrangement of the LED daytime running lights.

ls1mike: Thanks for the updated info on the LGZ version of the GM 3.6, sounds like a solid engine.

I really want to stay away from the whole big truck mania thing that has taken over the market lately. Just need something mid size to aid in maintaining an 1800 sq ft subdivision house that's in good repair, hauling landscaping materials from time to time, the occasional major appliance, etc. Whatever I choose to get will lead an easy life as a truck's life goes.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

I really want to stay away from the whole big truck mania thing that has taken over the market lately. Just need something mid size to aid in maintaining an 1800 sq ft subdivision house that's in good repair, hauling landscaping materials from time to time, the occasional major appliance, etc. Whatever I choose to get will lead an easy life as a truck's life goes.

I don't blame you. I will tell you my 02 3/4 ton looks small compared to most of the current offerings.

The transmission issue is real. Not everyone has it but it would certainly be something to look into.

If you look at the overall dimensions, you'll see that fullsize trucks haven't really grown as much as you think.

They just LOOK bigger due to exterior design.

What's amazing is I'm seeing LT trim level Colorado's in 4x4 crew cab that aren't my target but they look "normal" with normal alloy wheel rims and chrome grille trim, etc, and they're advertised for around $29K. Now take the exact same driveline, motor, cab and box size but "murder it out" with black wheel rims and blacked out grille trims so they look more like the ever popular full size bro-dozer's you see everywhere, and same dealer has those advertised at $38K or so. $9K more for the blacked-out bad boy look. Crazy.
crazy2.gif

I've got 3 pickups, all Chevy, '97 C2500HD M5, '05 Colorado I5 M5, '13 K1500 Z71 A6. Absolutely love the bigger trucks, not a big fan of the Colorado by any stretch of the imagination. I echo the observation you have to rev it to 4k RPMs before it will get out of it's own way. Non-turbo dual overhead cam, VVT low torque engine seems mismatched to a truck. The newer 3.6 may be better, but I'm guessing not by much.

From my experience with an older model, and from what oilpsi2hi said in his post, I'd rent or get one as a loaner to drive for a few days. If you still like it, buy it. If you find you can't stand driving it, look at other options.

I did look at trading in my '13, but can't stand the looks or size of the new full size trucks, so I feel your pain there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back