2018 Odyssey 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. Wanted to get some thoughts. I have a 2018 Honda Odyssey and started to get concerned about long term DI issues. I'm considering using QSUD 5w20 for its PQI tested 7.1 noack results. Am I correct in assuming there is little to no difference using 5w20 in place of 0w20 as long as it's a full synthetic? Or is there some flow issue where 0w must be used due to hydraulic purposes like VVT and or VCM systems. Any factual / functional differences between full synthetic 0w20 and 5w20?

No worries at all running it in florida. I've got plenty of 5w20 that i'll be running in my ‘16 pilot with the same engine you have. Currently have 5w30 0w20 pennzoil mix (leftovers) and runs just as fine as 0w20

I doubt your engine will know the difference between 0w20 and 5w20 oils.
My understanding is fuel dilution is only an issues for cold weather climates and vehicles driven short distances only.

Good luck with your Odyssey.

Our 19 Pilot with the same engine is using Amsoil SS 0W20. Rather have this engine than the 1.5LT we had in our beloved 18 CRV.

Originally Posted by parshisa
No worries at all running it in florida. I've got plenty of 5w20 that i'll be running in my ‘16 pilot with the same engine you have. Currently have 5w30 0w20 pennzoil mix (leftovers) and runs just as fine as 0w20

Thanks. I need to update my sig I'm now in western NC but the coldest it gets here is maybe 10 degrees and only for a few hours early in the morning. Anyway how many miles do you have on the Pilot? I love the van but like I said I was afraid of keeping it long term with all the horror stories about DI engines.

Oh also no worries about using 5w30 even with the oil being used like a hydraulic fluid for activating the VCM and valve timing? I guess not if you have been using it.

Since it's an 18, I'm guessing it's still under warranty, so while 5w20 should do no harm, I'd stick with 0w20 because that's what the only oil the manual specifies and it's best the follow what the manual says just in case you have to make a warranty claim.

It has roughly 38K. Oil change every 4k or so, it's being short tripped a lot. And no, not an issue with it (knock on wood) and it doesn't care for higher grade, run the same if not better

Unless you live in Siberia, the more important number is the one on the right. I don't know that the DI V6's have fuel dilution issues. 5w20 or 0w20 and you're fine.

Originally Posted by Jake777
Originally Posted by parshisa

Thanks. I need to update my sig I'm now in western NC but the coldest it gets here is maybe 10 degrees and only for a few hours early in the morning. Anyway how many miles do you have on the Pilot? I love the van but like I said I was afraid of keeping it long term with all the horror stories about DI engines.

Oh also no worries about using 5w30 even with the oil being used like a hydraulic fluid for activating the VCM and valve timing? I guess not if you have been using it.

Pedal to the freeway-floor on occasion (short spurts) and run CRC Intake Cleaner spray every 10-15k. Best to stick with SN Plus / Dexos 1-Gen2 oils.

Check out 0w20 Rotella Gas Truck as well... High Moly and very low NOACK as well (7 I think). On a side note, Have you thought about VCM muzzler for the vehicle?

So I actually had the original muzzler for my 09 Odyssey. It worked great. But they really updated the VCM on this new Odyssey and I can barely tell when it's on. Also I now live in a more mountains area and it hardly gets to activate. I guess I just didn't Want to start messing with a brand new vehicle like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back