2018 Nissan Rogue CVT @ 30k

Looking for some feedback on the suitability of the CVT fluid in my 2018 Nissan Rogue for continued use. I don't have any experience with CVTs. Thanks in advance.

0497A987-62EA-4D52-B839-B71571A65A5D.png

Originally Posted by atikovi
CVT fluid is suitable in your CVT. Don't use regular transmission fluid.

That's not what he asked.

Jcwhidby, although unfamiliar to me also, it does appear the CVT fluid is doing ok. I know several folks on here that are familiar, hopefully they'll comment shortly. I DO know that CVTs can be rough on fluid so if I had one I'd be changing it on an accelerated schedule. If automatics are any reference, fresh fluid is a good thing to have in your transmission.

Regardless of report I would do a pan drain and refill. But you have gone too far already at 30K. Biggest issue is sludging up hydraulic logic components with belt and pulley wear material. I don't recall reading of failures for those who have been doing regular pan drain and fills..Also, Valvoline or Castrol CVT fluid is just fine for use No need for 'Nissan" fluid. I had a '14 Rogue select, drove the vehicle and trans excessively hard and had no transmission issues doing a pan drain in the mid 20K range. What prompted me was I was seeing "mud" on the tip of the trans dipstick. You model likely doesn't have a DS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Valvoline or Castrol CVT fluid is just fine for use No need for 'Nissan" fluid.

That's just asking for trouble if a warranty issue comes up.

Technically he is in America, so he has the law behind him that he can use other oil, as long as it speced for that vehicle by that oil company in their documentation. It is law, it should technically shut up the dealer right on the spot, BUT [censored] dealers who think they are the arbitrator or the warranty, when really Nissan is. Just getting break-in materials and new oil in is 3/4 of the battle on keeping a healthy transmission. I agree, dump the trans fluid ASAP and use OEM to be safe if you like.

I own only FWD and 4WD vehicles and see the difference in rapid ATF abuse in FWD. However, these cars don't have a pan to look in like this one with only 31k on FF … and no towing

That magnet sits elevated and both sides were loaded … the blotchy stuff in pan is also metallic
IMO, This fluid sees easy duty compared to our Cruze …

71986D0E-8364-4E38-B96C-5768702F1FC5.jpeg

Originally Posted by atikovi
Valvoline or Castrol CVT fluid is just fine for use No need for 'Nissan" fluid.

That's just asking for trouble if a warranty issue comes up.

You could talk to the service manager and get his blessing.

Or spend $360.00+ for a $50 dollar DIY job.If it make you feel better. I did and the Nissan dealer messed it up by overfilling AND they reprogrammed the trans to an earlier state which was poor programming compared to factory flash.

They also messed up my transaxle and rear hypoid using poor spec mobilube HD 85W90. stuff doesnt flow in the cold.
So they are careless idiots just making the $$.

Also I've read Most folks had BETTER luck with the aftermarket fluid.

Last edited:
Or spend $360.00+ for a $50 dollar DIY job.If it make you feel better.

Never said you have to take it to a dealer to do it. You can DIY with Nissan fluid and keep the receipt as evidence.

To interpret the numbers in the report, you need Universal Averages for that same CVT model. Without that, you have no idea, for example, if Fe is too high at 96 ppm (it is fuzzy in the picture, I think it says 96 ppm?).
With transmission fluid, its probably best to just let it go to the exact Owner's Manual maintenance schedule, which is maybe somewhere between the Severe Service schedule and the "Easy-Life" (lower temperatures, no towing, no racing, etc.) schedule.
I don't see the value in fluid analysis here.

What these CVT's really need is a temperature sensor, along with the computer keeping track of temperature history (integrate temperature over time, the calculus meaning of the word "integrate" here).
GM's oil life monitor for the engine sump, for example, will trigger the oil change light if temperature gets to 260F, and will reduce oil life for high temps under that over time.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The recommended CVT fluid replacement interval is 60k miles, I plan to run it until then, sample and replace and will repost the results then.

Also, does anyone have universal averages for CVTs? I haven't been able to find any online.

Originally Posted by jcwhidby
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The recommended CVT fluid replacement interval is 60k miles, I plan to run it until then, sample and replace and will repost the results then.

I would ABSOLUTELY NOT go to 60K if you plan on keeping the car past 60K miles.

A former Manufacturing Manager colleague lost three CVT in two lease Altimas over the past 4 years by " following" the book.

DO NOT go to 60k. I've spend many hours in the Nissan Service bays. You do not want to leave that paticulate mud in the transmission fouling the hydraulic logic circuits.

Forget your Fluid analysis - its doesn't matter in this scenario. It woulnt point to a failure mechanism. Its not a "safety blankey"

Last edited:
That was the point I tried to make posting the magnet and pan at only 31k on a 6L80e
FWD? ATF was recommended for 40k on the Cruze so I did. That Dex VI was so black that I thought I pulled the wrong plug. So at what mileage had it flipped ?
I have gone back to 30k as FF target.

Change it and use Nissan NS3 fluid this vehicle, and many Jatco CVTs before it, are under a class action lawsuit that may result in a warranty extension. Don't give them any reason to deny coverage

OP I have BMW x5 50i and Nissan Murano and i only can comment what i witnessed firsthand and learned on my mistakes. I already wrote on x5 thread as they are lots of unprofessional advise and misleading info there. Same thing I see in this thread.
First of all when it comes to Nissan CVTs it's not the oil quality you have to worry, it's their bad design that is inherent. Changing oil even every day won't save you from bad engineering flaws to begin with. The problem is that CVT will overheat and lots of parts will degrade very fast, most common is valve control body that will fail eventually - just matter of time and no oil changes will save you from it. 2018 still have that problem, they haven't changed design yet. AFAIK only 2020 Nissan vehicles will come with new CVT design. So my advise would be to stick with warranty and either renew it or sell the vehicle when warranty ends. To stick with warranty you will need to follow Nissan USA recommendations and while I am not against using aftermarket fluid when it's a really good case (like in some BMW fluids) - in this case I would not do it as your main goal is to stick with warranty. Keep your receipts and do whatever you want, but it's not oil changes that will save you in the end, but warranty on that crap CVT.

The issue with some Nissan models with CVTs as I understand has not been fluid, heat or belt related like most seem to think.

Like mentioned above, the issue is with the materials the pressure control valve is made of on earlier models. The valve piston sticks causing fluid pressure loss, slippage and wear which all increases exponentially until failure.

Fluid changes are good, but won't prevent the above hardware issue.

From what I understand, newer models have different valves and components all together to take that issue out of the picture.

I changed CVT fluid early and often on my 2016 Nissan Quest and now my 2019 Pathfinder because it's easy and relatively cheap to do yourself. It gives me a warm n fuzzy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jcwhidby

I strongly recommend you replace the CVT fluid at ~30K miles, best is done by the dealer for their records and using OEM quality fluid. While the "service manual" says 60K, the dealership will recommend (rightly so given issues seen with these) to do it every 30K miles. Cost is ~$130.

I've done mine as above at ~34K and ~66K and am due again (now as 95K). I also changed out the center diff and rear diff with M1 Full Synthetic gear oil at 30K and likely will never need to do it again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eisen77
...AFAIK only 2020 Nissan vehicles will come with new CVT design.

I can't 100% confirm this, but from what I've read, 2017+ jatco units have the revised pump and pressure control system.

Back