2018 Mustang GT

I happened to see this Mustang GT the other day. I’m Jealous. ;)

8B4CF301-C516-44A9-9DD4-4A20A8877901.jpeg

Like I said...suspension and power delivery are something GM understands. Not so much Ford.
Right...right..."It's all in the setup dawg". Even though mine comes with a 100RPM adjustable launch limiter, traction control, track mode and electronically adjustable shocks, Shelby and Ford dropped the ball producing a 3800Lb car that puts 606 on the rollers, yet can only muster a lower 11 pass

Like I said...suspension and power delivery are something GM understands. Not so much Ford.

Clearly they can, look at the Ford GT. The Mustang is the Mustang and the lowly Fox is probably the most popular drag racing platform of all time. The Vet is fast and light, the Mustang is quite a bit heavier, to run the same times at the same power level is going to require them to be the same weight.

I have a 2018 GT Premium I bought new a little over two years ago and that thing is scary fast. It's an automatic, though.

Automatics in the new mustangs setup right are not slow. My vortech supercharged 87 mustang has a built c-4 and I've won more races then lost 😉

Clearly they can, look at the Ford GT. The Mustang is the Mustang and the lowly Fox is probably the most popular drag racing platform of all time. The Vet is fast and light, the Mustang is quite a bit heavier, to run the same times at the same power level is going to require them to be the same weight.
The early 2000's FGT performed horrible in 2005-6 vs. GM's product. I sold them. They cost $150K+100K market adjustment. Even without the market adjustment...200% more costly than the 'vette.

The current FGT costs how much? It actually performs on par. Amazing car.

Moving along in your post, the "lowly" fox was popular because during its hayday, it was one of the strongest, and most easily modifiable V8's available (87, and especailly 89-92). In 1993, the LT1 F-body came out. Those were faster. They were also a nightmare to work on. I owned one. So much cheaper to go fast in a fox. Then the LS1 F-body came out, and other than the Terminator or heavily modified foxes (no-longer naturally aspirated, or no-longer containing a 302), Ford's late model V8 was forgotten by everyone who could afford to, but highschool kids still loved the 5.0's, and STILL do, as do many older guys. I had one of those, as well as an LS1 fbody, and 70's kids LOVED my 5.0.

That said, the 5.0 couldn't handle for beans. F-bodies killed those cars like crazy, even back in the IROC era, when it came to actually handling.

In short, Ford had an amazing 4.9L powerhouse, and an amazing 281 FI powerhouse in the Terminators, and that's literally all they got right. That's it. Nothing else was awesome or even "good".

Now, they have a good Coyote engine, and as always, a terrible suspension unless you upgrade and get their MRC stuff, which admittedly is good. Probably borrowed from GM ;)

Automatics in the new mustangs setup right are not slow. My vortech supercharged 87 mustang has a built c-4 and I've won more races then lost 😉
Oh, you mean GM's automatic? Yeah? I say GM's, as it's the only auto Ford's put in a car worth a darn, and they needed help from GM to make that happen. Otherwise, the car is always in the shop, or you need a "built" transmission as you note...

The early 2000's FGT performed horrible in 2005-6 vs. GM's product. I sold them. They cost $150K+100K market adjustment. Even without the market adjustment...200% more costly than the 'vette.

Moving along in your post, the "lowly" fox was popular because during its hayday, it was one of the strongest, and most easily modifiable V8's available (87, and especailly 89-92). In 1993, the LT1 F-body came out. Those were faster. They were also a nightmare to work on. I owned one. So much cheaper to go fast in a fox. Then the LS1 F-body came out, and other than the Terminator or heavily modified foxes (no-longer naturally aspirated, or no-longer containing a 302), Ford's late model V8 was forgotten by everyone who could afford to, but highschool kids still loved the 5.0's, and STILL do, as do many older guys. I had one of those, as well as an LS1 fbody, and 70's kids LOVED my 5.0.

That said, the 5.0 couldn't handle for beans. F-bodies killed those cars like crazy, even back in the IROC era, when it came to actually handling.

In short, Ford had an amazing 4.9L powerhouse, and an amazing 281 FI powerhouse in the Terminators, and that's literally all they got right. That's it. Nothing else was awesome or even "good".

Now, they have a good Coyote engine, and as always, a terrible suspension unless you upgrade and get their MRC stuff, which admittedly is good. Probably borrowed from GM ;)

I had no idea you once sold cars, that's rather interesting.

Yes, they were more expensive than the 'vette because Ford could, and did, get that money for them. The FGT is an absolute legend on the Texas Mile top speed runs and of course the original GT40 handed Ferrari its **** on a platter.

The Fox is still popular in drag racing, incredibly so, given the age of the platform. I owned a couple of them and have built several. Unless you were balls-deep in Maximum Motorsports stuff, the Fox was never much of a handling car, drag racing was its forte being light and surprisingly durable, which is likely why it has persisted so long in that realm.

On the Termi, the SN95 platform was basically the offspring of a passionate night between Mr. Fox and Ms. Jellybean. The "new edge" upgrade brought nothing other than body mods. The IRS tacked onto the platform improved handling somewhat, but it was still married to a 1970's vintage unibody whose main strength was going fast in a straight line. I was working on swapping IRS from an '01 Cobra into an '82 Capri black magic when I bought my M5 and that project starting accumulating serious dust. It was basically a bolt-in.

The newer cars, the platforms are significantly better than the old ones, but the car is now pretty heavy. The Corvette was never the target market for the Mustang, but guys tend to bring it up because the F-body disappeared for a while there after the Terminator showed up.

Oh, you mean GM's automatic? Yeah? I say GM's, as it's the only auto Ford's put in a car worth a darn, and they needed help from GM to make that happen. Otherwise, the car is always in the shop, or you need a "built" transmission as you note...

I mean, if we are throwing stones, GM couldn't put a rear-end that would stay together under an F-body forever. They also made the 4L60E and put it in a truck.... Ford has made numerous excellent medium/heavy duty transmissions: 4R100, 5R110, 5R120...etc. Their partnership with GM on this box is interesting, but I expect both companies have benefited from that arrangement.

I assume that ET has the standard 3 tenths "internet adjusted" time already reflected ...unless that WS has been on a diet, 440RHP aint gonna get 3450LBs to an 11.6
It does with a Ford 9 inch, 4.10s and slicks. Mine weighs 3280 on the local cats scales. It consistently runs 11.80s, when I used to bracket race, but has gone 11.62.

I mean, if we are throwing stones, GM couldn't put a rear-end that would stay together under an F-body forever. T
Yeah you certainly are not running very fast on the POS 10 bolt. I have seen some automatics get some life out of them. But a 6 speed. I broke three before I put the 9 inch in the WS6. With a drag pack, it hooks nice, but I have not been to the track with since 2014ish. The 9 inch is packed away So now I roll the 10 bolt with 3.42 because it is nice when you just take it for a cruise. The 9 inch is loud, and normal tires are nice. When the kids are out of the house I might race again. It just rolled 69,000 miles. I really need to do one test and tune at the track for the Caprice.

Last edited:
Yeah you certainly are not running very fast on the POS 10 bolt. I have seen some automatics get some life out of them. But a 6 speed. I broke three before I put the 9 inch in the WS6. With a drag pack, it hooks nice, but I have not been to the track with since 2014ish. The 9 inch is packed away So now I roll the 10 bolt with 3.42 because it is nice when you just take it for a cruise. The 9 inch is loud, and normal tires are nice. When the kids are out of the house I might race again. It just rolled 69,000 miles. I really need to do one test and tune at the track for the Caprice.

If you go, snap some pics! Would love to see either of those rides in action :)

I agree, but bought a Mustang because of the horrible visibility from the Camaro and it just doesn't look good. The Mustang IMO is all-around a better car for cheaper.

Seen a 10 bolt make multiple 10.30 passes@130+ with a stalled auto, full weight car. Staged shot. ET Streets.

Blew mine literally backing out the driveway at idle. Pinion bearing spun.

Back