2018 Mustang GT

My son just bought a 2018 Mustang GT for a second vehicle toy.
Its got the black out package and really looks good.
465 horses and a manual 6 speed.I got to drive it a little today and got to stick my foot in it a bit.
It's tested out at 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds.
12.5 and 115 MPH 1/4 mile.
Not the fasted on the road but fast enough.
Sure is faster then my Elantra GT 0 to 60 in 8 seconds.
I haven't driven a manual tranny in 10 years or more but it's like riding a bike.
After the first 1 thru 6 it was easy.
I will admit I almost stalled it from a stop but caught it in time.

Good for you! Love that you got some time throwing gears! It's been years for me and I am really bantering a 2021 Mustang as I'm fighting myself over a BMW. The struggle is REAL!!! Same time it's a blessed life I have to struggle over cars of this magnitude. I'm grateful.

May your son enjoy and remain safely intact! The Mustang as well!

Never owned a BMW or a Mustang , but I have heard from several sources that German cars in general & BMW's specifically become money pits ( repairs & parts ) as they age .

On the other hand , the " speciality parts " on the high performance Mustangs are expensive . And of course , watch out for the speeding tickets ! :-(

A 2018 with a stick - nice!
I had '86 Mustang GT (5 speed) from '91 - '97. It was a my daily driver and it was quick, of course nowhere close to today's cars. It was my daily driver back then, though not fun in winter.

Look at the MPH...That is a low 12 second/high 11 second 1/4 mile car with good tires and a good driver.
A good tune and few small odds and ends will make it a solid 11 sec car.
Stock that is about 380 to 410 at the wheels. (10 to 15 percent loss through the drivetrain)

He will have a blast with it. Does he plan on taking it to track?

My WS6 is 440 at the wheels and runs solid 11.60's. The Caprice 400 to the wheels, but it is fat and I have not been to track yet but based off the numbers and what other have run I am looking at 12.60-12.70.

Look at the MPH...That is a low 12 second/high 11 second 1/4 mile car with good tires and a good driver.
Stock that is about 380 to 410 at the wheels. (10 to 15 percent loss through the drivetrain)

My WS6 is 440 at the wheels and runs solid 11.60's. The Caprice 400 to the wheels, but it is fat and I have not been to track yet but based off the numbers and what other have run I am looking at 12.60-12.70.

It has and aftermarket exhaust and he just put a cold air intake on it.
We are at 5000 feet altitude and dont have the same horsepower as sea level.
But it's still darn fast.

Never owned a BMW or a Mustang , but I have heard from several sources that German cars in general & BMW's specifically become money pits ( repairs & parts ) as they age .

On the other hand , the " speciality parts " on the high performance Mustangs are expensive . And of course , watch out for the speeding tickets ! :-(

Internet hearsay- the lifeblood of BITOG

My son just bought a 2018 Mustang GT for a second vehicle toy.
Its got the black out package and really looks good.
465 horses and a manual 6 speed.I got to drive it a little today and got to stick my foot in it a bit.
It's tested out at 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds.
12.5 and 115 MPH 1/4 mile.
Not the fasted on the road but fast enough.
Sure is faster then my Elantra GT 0 to 60 in 8 seconds.
I haven't driven a manual tranny in 10 years or more but it's like riding a bike.
After the first 1 thru 6 it was easy.
I will admit I almost stalled it from a stop but caught it in time.

I came close to getting a 2015 Mustang demo in 2015. Optioned exactly the way I would have ordered one- A Guard(green) Premium GT with the Performance Package and upgraded(somewhat) audio. I took a bit too long to decide and it got away.
That said, I ended up with a CPO M235i and while its 12.9 second quarter mile time isn't considered to be all that quick anymore I really have no complaints- or at least I didn't until I drove an M2 Competition at Kentucky Speedway last week.
I would also consider a Mustang GT again, but one equipped the way I'd want now tops out around $50k. If you can stomach the base GT interior a PP GT is one heck of a performance bargain, but every time I look at one I think that somewhere a 1980's Hyundai Excel is wanting its cloth upholstery back.

Ford still doesn't understand suspensions, fully.

I assume that ET has the standard 3 tenths "internet adjusted" time already reflected ...unless that WS has been on a diet, 440RHP aint gonna get 3450LBs to an 11.6

I assume that ET has the standard 3 tenths "internet adjusted" time already reflected ...unless that WS has been on a diet, 440RHP aint gonna get 3450LBs to an 11.6
Yes it can. If you hook it hard, it's going to be running those times. For example, a stock C6 Z06 (440whp) is a high 10 second car on stock rubber, stock down to t he paper air filter, if you can cut 1.6-1.7 60's and powershift like a beast. I see absolutely no reason to doubt this guy's 440whp F-body, likely on a DR, runs 11.6's. Bone stock those cars ran 12.9-13.4 with a helluva driver or an automatic transmission. I've owned LS1 F-body as well as C6Z, and they have great suspensions and amazing power delivery.

Yes it can. If you hook it hard, it's going to be running those times. For example, a stock C6 Z06 (440whp) is a high 10 second car on stock rubber, stock down to t he paper air filter, if you can cut 1.6-1.7 60's and powershift like a beast. I see absolutely no reason to doubt this guy's 440whp F-body, likely on a DR, runs 11.6's. Bone stock those cars ran 12.9-13.4 with a helluva driver or an automatic transmission. I've owned LS1 F-body as well as C6Z, and they have great suspensions and amazing power delivery.

You mean the 650HP C7 Z06? It can run 10.9X but 505HP C6 Z06 is an 11.5 car but it weighs 300Lbs less than yours.

Back