2018 L5P Duramax Fuel Filter (TP1015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
14,628 miles
527 engine hours
DIC fuel filter life was ran down to 0%.

These filters start out white, so you can see there is quite a bit of debris on the filter. The computer seems to pick about the perfect time to change these filters. I wonder if it's just mileage or if the DIC computer calculates the filter life remaining somehow?

20191027_174936039_iOS.jpg

20191027_174856638_iOS.jpg

20191027_174954755_iOS - Copy.jpg

Wilson I've put very little mileage on my Duramax for nearly 18 months now The fuel and the oil filter are still show low 80% on the oil and high 80's for the fuel filter.

Last edited:
My 2017 had 20% fuel filter life when I bought it, I ran it down to 0% and changed it.

I bought it 12/29/18 with 10,345 miles and 401.3 Hours, 20% Fuel filter life.
Fuel filter changed @ 0%, (5/13/19) 12,852 miles and 522.4 hrs.

I currently have 17,336 miles and 796.3 hours with 58% fuel filter life remaining on the DIC.

I've put 6,991 miles and 395 hours on my truck since I bought it. I used 20% on the original filter and I'm down 42% on the current one. That's 62% fuel filter life used since I've had the truck.

I keep a fuel log, I've ran ~686 gallons of fuel through the truck in 6,991 miles and 395 hours.

If the fuel filter life is calculated by gallons used, then in my case 11.07 gallons used represents 1% of fuel filter life.

If the fuel filter life is calculated based on engine hours, 1% fuel filter life is 6.37 engine hours.

If it's based on miles, in my case 112.76 miles represents 1% of fuel filter life.

I calculated this based upon my usage and records on the truck since I bought it. If you calculated it based upon the first 80% of fuel filter life from before I bought the truck, I'm sure you'd get something different.

I do know that you can see actual fuel pressure and commanded fuel pressure on a good scan tool, so maybe the ECM can monitor or calculate the fuel filter life based upon the fuel pressure/flow drop over time. It would be interesting to know, that's for sure.

9A702C16-EF63-4221-AA57-DAD0FCF21F91.jpeg

Pretty black, but not sure that by itself means much. Good question on what the algorithm goes by. Wonder if there's a pressure sensor somewhere that is tracked. I pd have to guess that the IP wants the lift pump to provide in some pressure range, and as the filter gets dirty,,perhaps that supply pressure drops.

Is that a cartridge filter? Or was it cut open? Makes me want to go change filters on all my diesels!

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Pretty black, but not sure that by itself means much. Good question on what the algorithm goes by. Wonder if there's a pressure sensor somewhere that is tracked. I pd have to guess that the IP wants the lift pump to provide in some pressure range, and as the filter gets dirty,,perhaps that supply pressure drops.

Is that a cartridge filter? Or was it cut open? Makes me want to go change filters on all my diesels!

It's a cartridge filter, I posted one in this sub forum a while back from my 2017. I think the lift pump is supposed to supply the high pressure pump (injection pump) with about 60 psi.

Looking at this filter, there's little ability to discern efficiency or dP from a color change.

I believe they changed the fuel filter system design with this latest generation of Dmax (L5P); it's cartridge. The previous generations were spin-on systems. I also think the new gen Dmax has a lift pump; the previous ones did not. They also reintroduced the fuel cooler; mine had one, then they quit installing them, and now they are back. CAUTION - they rust badly and need checked in areas where salt is present in winter. I see the cover has a WIF drain, but no WIF sensor, like the older models.

Not sure how the fuel filter life is calculated. My old Dmax (LBZ from 2006) seemed to simply run by miles driven, regardless of other inputs. The new systems might be "smart" systems, but I cannot say one way or another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back