2018 Ford Edge Sport - Amsoil XL 5w-30 - 5,993 miles

Blackstone Scan 1.1.jpg

Nine and a half months on this oil, so it's been through a winter and a summer. The car had a ton of "short trips" around town and to the local train station all winter. When given the chance, I will drive it pretty hard. My final OLM was 20%. I've read a ton of opinions on this site about this engine and that led me to choose to change it out when I did. I'll agree with Blackstone that an 8k OCI is easy.

I know nothing about these numbers, so any insight is appreciated.

"Regardless of calendar time"
What?
If Ford requires at longest, a 1 year oci, then calendar time is important for warranty coverage.
Copper is a little high, engine may still be breaking in or the short trips leach out more copper from coolers.
Viscosity is below targets - shearing into a 5W-20 with a chain cam engine not surprising.
Nothing concerning on the report imo.

"Regardless of calendar time"
What?
If Ford requires at longest, a 1 year oci, then calendar time is important for warranty coverage.
Copper is a little high, engine may still be breaking in or the short trips leach out more copper from coolers.
Viscosity is below targets - shearing into a 5W-20 with a chain cam engine not surprising.
Nothing concerning on the report imo.
I think Blackstone is just telling him that from an oil health standpoint, this is what they recommend. Mileage is a factor in their decision and age is not.

Agree. But...tgdi and a chain engine. Still not the best based on viscosity drop, but maybe an explanation.

I don't see anything alarming. At 385F I disagree with B. S. In that I believe it's got some fuel, but nothing excessive in my opinion for a TGDl. It also looks like it sheared a little as well which is normal for engine type. Strong TBN. Looks like you could easily run OE for your usage cycle which for 6,000 mi OCI Annual Cycles within IOLM parameters is not a real shocker. You would have to get with Amsoil but my understanding is OE is approved for 12 months IF that's standard interval for the vehicle.

As far as timing chains go SP oils have been formulated with reduction of chain wear in mind (among other things). I sure won’t recommend against using euro oils in EB engines, i went 144k in my ‘11 EB F150 on Castrol Edge 0w40! My ‘18 3.5 EB is currently digesting Magnatec and with dual injection it seems to doing well. But if I ever feel the Magnatec not cutting the mustard, in goes the 0w40.

Back