2018 crv.. 9k engine replacement

Messages
309
Location
Gretna, La
Thread starter
So our 2018 crv needed a new engine. They ordered a brand new short block from Honda. The dealer said they filled it with just synthetic oil.. Im assuming honda oil. So do engine replacements not get the ff "break in" oil everyone talks about?
 
Messages
4,780
Location
NJ
If the original engine got the magic oil and only lasted a few miles, I wouldn't worry about the new engine not having it.
 
Messages
309
Location
Gretna, La
Thread starter
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
More Honda QC?
Eeh.. Whatever. They found an issue and fixed it quickly and without fuss. Im happy. Treated much better then GM has ever treat us.
 
Messages
309
Location
Gretna, La
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Leo99
If the original engine got the magic oil and only lasted a few miles, I wouldn't worry about the new engine not having it.
The problem had nothing to do with the engine oil as far as I can see at this moment. We had a vtec solenoid go bad at 5k which caused the oil pressure to drop. Replaced solenoid but I told them my concern of the pressure drop. They said everything sounded fine.. No biggie for me. I got 8yrs/120k warranty. So 4k later the engine had a very slight knock noise.
 
Messages
640
Location
Colorado
Originally Posted by Firehawk409
So our 2018 crv needed a new engine. They ordered a brand new short block from Honda. The dealer said they filled it with just synthetic oil.. Im assuming honda oil. So do engine replacements not get the ff "break in" oil everyone talks about?
They do. Its the high moly assmbly lube that makes the factory fill oil "magic for break-in", so factory short blocks would have it. Use Toyota house brand 0w20 oil if you want to continue the magic high moly concentration effects in perpetuity.
 
Last edited:
Messages
309
Location
Gretna, La
Thread starter
Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by Firehawk409
So our 2018 crv needed a new engine. They ordered a brand new short block from Honda. The dealer said they filled it with just synthetic oil.. Im assuming honda oil. So do engine replacements not get the ff "break in" oil everyone talks about?
They do. Its the high moly assmbly lube that makes the factory fill oil "magic for break-in", so factory short blocks would have it. Use Toyota house brand 0w20 oil if you want to continue the magic high moly concentration effects in perpetuity.
Thank you.... That's what I was thinking would be the case.
 
Agreed. No worries here, I suspect your replacement engine has some Honda specified assembly lube which is probably moly enriched. Even if the new engine was shipped dry, your dealer should have used a Honda spec'd oil. Motor on....
 
Messages
309
Location
Gretna, La
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Bud
I would say yes, but best bet would be to ask your service dept.
I did.. Which is why I posted here. Service manager said all they do is fill it with synthetic oil that they use for oil changes and no one ever asked him that question before. He said he would talk to his parts guy tomorrow about it to see if it's something they could order.
 
Messages
3,902
Location
SW Ohio
Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by Firehawk409
So our 2018 crv needed a new engine. They ordered a brand new short block from Honda. The dealer said they filled it with just synthetic oil.. Im assuming honda oil. So do engine replacements not get the ff "break in" oil everyone talks about?
They do. Its the high moly assmbly lube that makes the factory fill oil "magic for break-in", so factory short blocks would have it.
Yeap, they will fill engines at the factory with the same engine oil that we buy, just that they get in larger packaging (probably totes).
 
Messages
820
Location
Upper midwest
Originally Posted by Bud
I would say yes, but best bet would be to ask your service dept.
10% chance you will get a knowledgeable answer to that question. 30 years ago you would have a 70% to get a knowledgeable answer.
 
Messages
1,447
Location
Dana Point, CA
An '18? Seems whatever recipe that was baked in previously cooked up a little too ripe. Upside is its replacement will also be covered under warranty. Honda Motor Company ftw,
 
Messages
309
Location
Gretna, La
Thread starter
Originally Posted by splinter
An '18? Seems whatever recipe that was baked in previously cooked up a little too ripe. Upside is its replacement will also be covered under warranty. Honda Motor Company ftw,
Go back a few replies. I explained why I think it happened.
 
Messages
6,106
Location
New England
Every car maker out there replaces a block occasionally. My sisters 2008 RAV4 got a new engine at 4k due a knock. Happens...... OP Complain to Honda Corporate Care about the issue and your "shattered" loss of confidence. You may be able to get a full 8yr/120k warranty or whatever Honda offers to "satisfy" you.I believe the cost to dealer on that is under $1000 so likely less for Honda to comp. No loss in asking except time.
 
Messages
1,447
Location
Dana Point, CA
Originally Posted by Firehawk409
Go back a few replies. I explained why I think it happened.
I read your replies before posting, thanks. Good luck with its carnage.
 
Messages
9,356
Location
Canuck living in California
The real issue is people believe in Honda's special break in oil, when there is little to no evidence there is one. I think people simply read too much into Honda's inistance on keeping the FF for normal oci.
 
Messages
309
Location
Gretna, La
Thread starter
Originally Posted by madRiver
Every car maker out there replaces a block occasionally. My sisters 2008 RAV4 got a new engine at 4k due a knock. Happens...... OP Complain to Honda Corporate Care about the issue and your "shattered" loss of confidence. You may be able to get a full 8yr/120k warranty or whatever Honda offers to "satisfy" you.I believe the cost to dealer on that is under $1000 so likely less for Honda to comp. No loss in asking except time.
That's why I'm not really upset over this. As long as they acknowledge and fix the issue.. Im good. Am I little aggravated that our new crv had to have an engine swap? Yeah a little. Only because no swap is ever done exactly like new and I'll start over thinking things. I already bought the 8yr/120k warranty. I have thought about calling them and getting it extended even further but I think that's the max.
 
Messages
1,154
Location
USA
Originally Posted by Firehawk409
[quote=madRiver] I already bought the 8yr/120k warranty. I have thought about calling them and getting it extended even further but I think that's the max.
In that case they should refund the money you spent on the extended warranty, I would ask AHM to refund you as a good will gesture.[/quote]
 
Top