2017 Golf 1.8 TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
Just picked up a 2017 Golf Sportwagen with the 1.8 TSI motor. So far its been a pretty great ride.

For the VW folks, what is the oil everyone is going with in these (or the 2.0)? I think the factory fill is Castrol 5w40. From the looks of things Mobil 1 0w40 may be a good choice, but honestly I want this thing to last 10 years if possible, so if UOAs or anything point to one oil being the "best" for the TSI motors, I'm in. Also, how is everyone changing the oil on these? I've heard the extraction method is done by some dealers. I was thinking of the first change using the tradition drain method, then doing top-side extraction for changes after. With the filter on top, seems like it could be a simple solution.

There are a couple things I don't "like" about the car. First being the plastic oil pan/drain plug. It wasn't a deal breaker at all for me, considering a couple manufacturers are going this route (I think the ford 2.7T has this). VW trusts it enough for the 1.8, the 2.0, and the 2.0 in the Golf R. The housing for the oil filter is also plastic, but there are aftermarket Billet replacement options.
My other slight issue is the Direct Injection. The only issue with it is fear of carbon buildup, but I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, maybe around 50-60k miles.

Other than that, its a pretty well put together machine for the money. So far I like the DSG transmission, even though I haven't had too much fun with it while trying to break it in. The 4motion AWD sounds like a good system, but haven't had the weather to try it out (yet).

No need to worry about the plastic bits for another several years, if ever.

Castro! 0W-40 would be my choice.

DSG and Haldex services every 40k. OEM fluids only. You won't have any issues with buildup (if you have any at all) until you're near 100k.

Enjoy the car. Where are the photos?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

DSG and Haldex services every 40k. OEM fluids only. You won't have any issues with buildup (if you have any at all) until you're near 100k.

Whoops, forgot the pics! I just put a quick album together, sorry for the production quality

2017 Golf Sportwagen Album

Yea, its probably a totally unfounded fear of the plastic bits. I'm sure they wouldn't use it if they didn't have confidence in it. I've been looking into the DSG service, Doesn't honestly seem terrible at 40k miles. Looks like the kits with the tools and fluid and everything run about $250. Then changes after are cheaper as you only need the fluid and filter. Have you serviced any of the haldex systems? Is that just changing the fluid in the rear diff?

Congrats on the new car. VWs do have a certain honesty and lack of gimmicks that are refreshing.

One other DI issue is potential for fuel dilution of engine oil. Don't know that VWs are known for this but you may want to perform a UOA after an OCI or two to see. And if you do this, go to a lab that uses gas chromotography to measure dilution (i.e. not Blackstone).

Congrats- looks great
I was always in the market for a VW but get scared off.
One of these days
wink.gif

Thanks guys

They really seem to be moving these things too. I always like the Jetta sportwagens in the past, but price always seemed pretty high compared to alternatives. Recently I noticed the deep discounts on VWs across the board (no doubt from the emissions scandal). THEN I noticed not only is the new Golf on the latest platform with the 7th gen, but the sporwagen could be had with 4Motion (VWs all wheel drive). That's when I got extra interested. The sticker on this one was just over 26k, the OTD price was 21k. I thought that was pretty good for what the car was. The only real extra option was the rubber floor mats and the rear cargo mat.

This is the Base model S sportwagen. The interesting thing is that when you get the S with 4motion, it has a couple things that the base S front wheel drive does not. Namely the DSG transmission. Other little extra bits include heated seats, heated side mirrors, and heated washer nozzles standard on the 4motion sportwagen. I'm not one for crazy options, but I do like those things.

Also standard on these now is apple car-play and android auto. So even without built in nav, I have built in nav. Android auto connects very quickly and brings up google maps, an always up to date GPS. The screen isnt as big as some other cars, I believe only 6.5 inches, but it seems to be plenty.

The space inside is also great. I forget the exact numbers but it has more interior cargo space than the Tiguan or the Jeep Cherokee.

Looks wise, well, its a wagen. I like that its understated. The back is nice with dual exhaust (of course its for looks, its 1 pipe into 2 mid car). I think eventually when the OE tires wear out, I'll put snow tires on the OE wheels, then get some nicer looking wheels for it. Not in a rush though as these 55 height tires right beautiful (I just came from a car with 19s and a coilover suspension, my back needs a break).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Whoops, forgot the pics! I just put a quick album together, sorry for the production quality

2017 Golf Sportwagen Album

Yea, its probably a totally unfounded fear of the plastic bits. I'm sure they wouldn't use it if they didn't have confidence in it. I've been looking into the DSG service, Doesn't honestly seem terrible at 40k miles. Looks like the kits with the tools and fluid and everything run about $250. Then changes after are cheaper as you only need the fluid and filter. Have you serviced any of the haldex systems? Is that just changing the fluid in the rear diff?

Yeah just the rear differential needs the special Haldex juice.

You can do the DSG service yourself. If you're in it for the long haul, I also recommend a Ross-Tech cable and Vag-Com Diagnostic Software.

Good looking car!

I have a 2014 Passat with the same engine. The oil extractor works great on this engine. You need the correct socket to remove the filter, and a torque wrench to to reinstall the new filter. This little motor has some great torque!

Congrats! Being that my favorite car is the old venerable Volvo 850 T5-R Sport Wagon, it would come as no surprise that i think you've just purchased the most logical, practical car on the market for any Euro-car enthusiast. The practicality of being a wagon, quality materials and well thought out ergonomics, handsome looks, economical and sporty drive train... Check mark all the boxes. If i were in the market, i would seriously consider this ride, with slight reliability concerns not-withstanding.

Oh yeah, lol... Edge 0W40 or M1 0W40.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Congrats! Being that my favorite car is the old venerable Volvo 850 T5-R Sport Wagon, it would come as no surprise that i think you've just purchased the most logical, practical car on the market for any Euro-car enthusiast. The practicality of being a wagon, quality materials and well thought out ergonomics, handsome looks, economical and sporty drive train... Check mark all the boxes. If i were in the market, i would seriously consider this ride, with slight reliability concerns not-withstanding.

Oh yeah, lol... Edge 0W40 or M1 0W40.

Thanks! It really does check so many boxes. I was between this and the GTI, but for the money this has quite a few practical features that couldn't be ignored. The extra power of the GTI may have been nice, but I also have a mustang as a play car. On the power front I've even seen evidence that VW under rates their engines, so it may be even a bit more than the 170hp 199tq suggests. I know so far I have no complaints, and I've been trying to drive conservatively while the motor is still fresh.

I wish more manufacturers offered wagons. More interior space than quite a few small crossovers, with better fuel economy and more sporting feel. I even thought about the Tiguan as their prices were very low also, but again the wagen had more cargo space, wasn't as tall, and better fuel economy.

Don't worry about the oil you put in the Golf engine. The rest of the car will fall apart way before the engine does, and in a not so distant future based on my own personal experience.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Don't worry about the oil you put in the Golf engine. The rest of the car will fall apart way before the engine does, and in a not so distant future based on my own personal experience.

Uh, oh... what was the year and model of your VW?

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

Dont leave us hanging, what happened?

Nice! We rented a Passat on vacation last year, with the same 1.8l engine. Had impressive giddyup when needed. I really liked that car, so as soon as we were back home I got online and priced one out, pretty reasonable. I need some Buicks in our family fleet to die first though (*L*).

How is road noise with the wagon body style? From what I've read, the Golf hatchback is highly regarded in that respect (and many others).

You beat me to it........
I was going to get one this year but bailed
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Have you had VW's prior?

First one!

Im jealous! I have the 1.8 in my Passat. I drive a little over 400 miles a week and get a litte over 30 mpg. The 5w40 is recommended in the manual, but the Castrol 0w40 seems to be a fan favorite. Welcome to the VW club
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back