2017-18 Hyundai Tucson

I own the Long-Term Quality Index. What's the number one SUV I recommend?

The Mazda CX-5. Overall it offers the best bang for the buck.

The Tucson is decent but you should definitely shy away from the Hyundai GDI engines.

Subaru relaibility has been borderline horrific this past decade. Engines burning and leaking oil have been commonplace and the CVTs can't match the long-term quality of the automatic transmissions.

I also own 48 Hours And A Used Car. A car buying service on Facebook which exclusively purchases 2016 and newer vehicles. If you're in the market feel free to contact me there.

All the best.

Steven Lang
Looked at the Kia listings. Most of the models disappeared more than a decade ago. Borrego? Spectra? Amati?

With the clear and lengthy record of problems across all models and several model years, it's difficult to understand why anyone would buy a Subaru when there are so many better choices out there.
You could say the same of Hyundai/Kia with engines out there with serious faults. However like all companies they iterate and fix.

If wife likes it then a great choice! Honestly there are fewbad choices in this segment and your model year of interest.

You could say the same of Hyundai/Kia with engines out there with serious faults. However like all companies they iterate and fix.

If wife likes it then a great choice! Honestly there are fewbad choices in this segment and your model year of interest.
I'm not the one buying a car and if I were it wouldn't be a Subaru. I made that mistake once and won't make again. Just bought two Lexus last year and have no issues with either.

I drove a 2020 Tucson as a loaner a few months ago and I was very impressed with it--plenty of power, good engine / trans management software, firm but decent suspension. . .no surprises--it just worked. We have a Santa Fe, but if I had to drive a Tucson, I wouldn't feel like I'd taken a giant leap backward.

All Subarus and Nissans have CVT, at least most of their models . . . if outback had regular 6 speed AT, I would have bought one instead of Tucson. CR-Vs since 2015 have CVT, even Toyota Rav-4 has CVT, the idea just scared me. I know Hyundai Theta-II engines have issue, but I hope I could avoid the problems with careful maintenance., keeping my fingers crossed.

Close friend of mine has a 2017 Tucson SE she bought brand new back in 2017 and she loves it and has not had any issues with it, just routine maintenance so far.

One thing to keep in mind is the unresolved recall regarding the ABS controller possibly catching fire. My friends 2017 is not part of recall but IIRC its 2019+. Have another close friend with a 2020 SE that is now parking outside because hers is under recall.

The 2.0 liter engines in these are not GDI - same MPFI that is in the Elantra, the higher end models do have the 2.4 GDI. I think there were some issues with the 2.0 but I don't think they were as widespread as the 2.4 GDI.

Fact is, Subaru is a crap vehicle. Proof is in the pudding. Multiple model years riddled with significant issues. A DO NOT BUY warning

The issue is . . . there's no perfect vehicle for your particular price point. The biggest problem is CVT, IMO. All of Nissan passenger vehicles, SUVs included, use CVTs and when they go out they need to be replaced not rebuild. Replacement cost for CVT is around $8,000(if you have to pay for) which is much higher than replacement engine cost. Subaru extended their CVT warranty to 10/100k, Nissan's CVTs get replaced case by case, Hyundai? I hope they pay for. :confused: So far, they have with lifetime warranty.

Mazda CX-5 is really good CUV if they don't have CD(cylinder deactivation). Yes, 2.5 turbos don't have CD, but you have to buy one of top two trims to get the turbo which costs $35k and up, are in different class.

Local Hyundai dealers are packed with Tucsons. Seems every time a car is due for replacement they ramp up production-- or is it just that they clean out all production lines and make the dealers take them? Something tells me that there will be huge discounts because the next generation Tucson will be such a big change. Notice the Kia web site has the '22's heavily promoted, that must mean an early '21 release.

Back