2017-18 Hyundai Tucson

So my wife is still shopping around for a new vehicle.....she's wanting to trade in her 2014 Honda CR-V
I thought she was really sold on getting another Subaru (Impreza or Forester)

But these Tucson's have caught her eye.

What is the BITOG opinion on these vehicles? I always take most of your opinions pretty seriously. They hold weight with me.

What say you?

So my wife is still shopping around for a new vehicle.....she's wanting to trade in her 2014 Honda CR-V
I thought she was really sold on getting another Subaru (Impreza or Forester)

But these Tucson's have caught her eye.

What is the BITOG opinion on these vehicles? I always take most of your opinions pretty seriously. They hold weight with me.

What say you?
IMO it's a step back, I'd stick with the CRV or go with Subies

The owner satisfaction score on Consumers Reports is a 2/5 and the reliability is a 3/5.
A 2018 Mazda CX-5 on the other hand gets a reliability of 5/5 and an owner satisfaction of 4/5.
If you can afford new, I'd take a series look at a 2021 Crosstrek with a 2.5. They now offer the 2.5 in a few trims.
The high resale value on a Crosstrek makes it a poor choice used.

Had a Tucson as a rental in about that time frame. Very enjoyable car. Actually liked the ones with the smaller, non tablet,display better. Classic, clean interior. The new ('22?) Tucson is spectacular. Hope that front end makes it over to the Sonata when it has a mid-gen refresh.

Love the Tucson. My wife's Cousin has one ('18) and works from her vehicle often. Long idles and 90% city driving. It currently has 70k~ miles on pure bulk oil changes from dealership and VIOC (conventional specials only). No issues and she loves it.

My mother and I rented a 2018 Tucson with snow tires from the Winnipeg, MB airport. When we got in, Winnipeg was getting hit hard by a very late blizzard and the roads had not been prepared prior to it hitting. Many of the main highways were closed due to overturn trucks and it forced us to take the “mile roads” that go through farm fields between the major highways. That Tucson got us through the iciest roads that I’ve ever experienced and through snowdrifts half way up the doors. It was because of that Hyundai Tucson that my mother and I were able to see my grandmother before she passed. I will always have a place in my heart for those little CUVs.

If you're going from a 2014 Honda to a 2017-2018 model year car, a Tuscon may make sense as a used car as the Subaru's can be pricey in the used car market.

I used to consider the popular Japanese makes head and shoulders above Hyundai, but l have a much higher regard for Hyundai these days and think they offer a lot of value for the money. I am a long time Subaru owner, but will definitely consider Hyundai for my next purchase.

I own the Long-Term Quality Index. What's the number one SUV I recommend?

The Mazda CX-5. Overall it offers the best bang for the buck.

The Tucson is decent but you should definitely shy away from the Hyundai GDI engines.

Subaru relaibility has been borderline horrific this past decade. Engines burning and leaking oil have been commonplace and the CVTs can't match the long-term quality of the automatic transmissions.

I also own 48 Hours And A Used Car. A car buying service on Facebook which exclusively purchases 2016 and newer vehicles. If you're in the market feel free to contact me there.

All the best.

Steven Lang

With the clear and lengthy record of problems across all models and several model years, it's difficult to understand why anyone would buy a Subaru when there are so many better choices out there.

They now come with 3 years of maintenance and of course the long warranty. I would think it would be an upgrade over the CRV. Check out the Kia version as well since they’re pretty sharp. I saw a loaded one with leather, panoramic moonroof, awd, Navi, etc. The sticker price on it was 35k so it was pretty loaded. The owner traded in their big Infiniti suv for it.

Phishin, make sure you check out the cost of a new Tucson before pulling the trigger, the used car market is hot right now while new car dealers are having trouble moving stock. Some folks are getting brand new 2020 Toyota RAV4s off the lot for ~$24K (LE AWD model) and ~$25K for an XLE, so if you get a quote on one of those and roll into a Hyundai dealer, I’m sure you could get a heck of a bargain on a Tucson. Just really stress the size difference between the cars and the attraction Toyota reputation for reliability and be sure to ask about the recent Kia/Hyundai engine recall. A buddy of mine did just that and got his Sonata for ~$3K below the already low Truecar price and it even came with better financing; the financing and low initial price made the new car slightly cheaper than a 2-3 year old used car and it came with a few initial services and a full warranty.

Please explain....................
I've had both Hunday & Subaru and the Subie is a better vehicle, also Subaru was the 1st in N.A. with a CVT many decades ago and they cut their teeth on the Justy, not a very good car, but they learned. The CVT got a bad wrap because in the begnning Subaru & others did not allow dealers to make repairs as they wanted to receive the tranny as it was when it failed so that they could learn from the failure, because of this the rumour went around that CVTs were not repairable. I bought an Azera from Hunday, a car that was never heard from again and I felt kike an orphan. This was Hunday 1st attempt into the entry luxury market and they had no clue as to what that market wants and expects, they still don't, but that's another story. Hundays are good cars, but, IMO not as good as Subaru.

I've had both Hunday & Subaru and the Subie is a better vehicle, also Subaru was the 1st in N.A. with a CVT many decades ago and they cut their teeth on the Justy, not a very good car, but they learned. The CVT got a bad wrap because in the begnning Subaru & others did not allow dealers to make repairs as they wanted to receive the tranny as it was when it failed so that they could learn from the failure, because of this the rumour went around that CVTs were not repairable. I bought an Azera from Hunday, a car that was never heard from again and I felt kike an orphan. This was Hunday 1st attempt into the entry luxury market and they had no clue as to what that market wants and expects, they still don't, but that's another story. Hundays are good cars, but, IMO not as good as Subaru.

The Genesis luxury Line (made by Hyundai) is a pretty good attempt at the luxury market.

Yes it is, but I was referring to the support a buyer will get from the company. It's because of experiences likemine that they had to spinning off to a separate company hoping that people will forget the hiunday connection.

Phishin, make sure you check out the cost of a new Tucson before pulling the trigger, the used car market is hot right now while new car dealers are having trouble moving stock. Some folks are getting brand new 2020 Toyota RAV4s off the lot for ~$24K (LE AWD model) and ~$25K for an XLE, so if you get a quote on one of those and roll into a Hyundai dealer, I’m sure you could get a heck of a bargain on a Tucson. Just really stress the size difference between the cars and the attraction Toyota reputation for reliability and be sure to ask about the recent Kia/Hyundai engine recall. A buddy of mine did just that and got his Sonata for ~$3K below the already low Truecar price and it even came with better financing; the financing and low initial price made the new car slightly cheaper than a 2-3 year old used car and it came with a few initial services and a full warranty.
The new Tucson's look spectacular (in pictures) and it looks like they have a lot of '20-21's on the lot. Same thing with Sportages although I've seen less details on the next gen on those.

Bought a 2020 Tucson Ultimate AWD(top trim) for under $26k, almost $9,000 off from MSRP. I didn't negotiate at all, it was one of the Mgr's Special for the week. That dealer sells 2-3 times more Hyundais than any other north of Los Angeles.

Great car, the only issue is lowly MPG for the class, but I don't drive much at this age. I have no complain but all compliments.

Back