2016 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XRT

It was time to get something different after my 2013 R1200RT. I had been looking at BMW GS but it seemed that everybody had one so wanted something else instead.

Yamaha 1200 Tenere was interesting but those seemed to have more miles on the clock than what I wanted.

Then I noticed this 2016 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XRT (name could be shorter) at my dealer. I bought the RT from him so negotiation was easy and brief.

Triumph has only done about 4300 miles so I reckon there are plenty left. :)

Bike is tall and the triple is one fine engine. I did notice that a better/bigger screen will be needed as the OEM one is just too short and narrow.

iS6BTkL.jpg

It was time to get something different after my 2013 R1200RT. I had been looking at BMW GS but it seemed that everybody had one so wanted something else instead.

Yamaha 1200 Tenere was interesting but those seemed to have more miles on the clock than what I wanted.

Then I noticed this 2016 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XRT (name could be shorter) at my dealer. I bought the RT from him so negotiation was easy and brief.

Triumph has only done about 4300 miles so I reckon there are plenty left. :)

Bike is tall and the triple is one fine engine. I did notice that a better/bigger screen will be needed as the OEM one is just too short and narrow.

iS6BTkL.jpg
That’sA beautiful bike!

You know these have the nickname 'Triumph Exploder' in the trade. The motors are hand grenades.
Get rid of it quick if you still have it and it runs

Motorcycle engines will run forever if you dont over hot rod it....my 96 Sportster is still rolling, no major engine work and no transmission issues ever...

Hmmm, I agree the majority of modern bikes (mine included) can be very reliable while delivering outstanding performance. Far better than some from my admittedly rapidly dimming memory.......
VF750F stretched cam-chains and pitting camshafts
Late pre-hinckley bonnevilles - mainly QC issues
GPZ900 pitted camshafts, stretched cam-chains and overheating at the hint of traffic
ZZR1100 2nd gear and rod bearing issues
Guzzi Griso camshafts losing their surface hardening
KTM Super dukes with cooling systems full of casting sand wrecking the pump
The fun goes on and on but I'm sick of typing.........

After six month hibernation engine started with ease and it purrs quite nicely. Looking forward to the riding season. :)

Triples are sweet motors. They have the throaty, raspy sound similar to a V-twin but the power and rpm band of a 4-inline.

Riding season will be upon us shortly here in WI, can't wait to get out on my Yamaha FJ with the CP3.

Back