2016 Sierra, 5.3L L83, ACDelco Full syn 0W-20, 5528 miles

Oil Analyzers report below. They came up with 2.3% fuel dilution:

[Linked Image]

A spec sheet for the oil from last year on here to compare if anyone wants to: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ynthetic-oil-sn-plus-product-information

Noob question I guess - but why is the copper universal average so high for this motor?

Originally Posted by oilnoob32
Noob question I guess - but why is the copper universal average so high for this motor?

It's the oil cooler.
smile.gif
Though now I want to find a UOA of a LV3 Ecotec3 4.3L V6 to compare since they don't have oil coolers unless you add them...

Originally Posted by Macsignals

It's the oil cooler.
smile.gif
Though now I want to find a UOA of a LV3 Ecotec3 4.3L V6 to compare since they don't have oil coolers unless you add them...

Is this typical of most oil coolers? And does it continue steadily, or typically decrease over time? I have heard of oil coolers leaching copper... are these typically micro particles or can they also be larger particles?

Interesting.

Originally Posted by Macsignals

It's the oil cooler.
smile.gif

I just posted my UOA on my Ecotech3 4.3 V6 using a 20 weight oil. My copper is higher than yours.

Here is the link to it https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...61-miles-16-silverado-4-3-v6#Post5169313

New report from October, only sent it in a few weeks ago. Small error on the report, oil change actually occurred at 51,379 miles with 5,810 miles on the oil. This run was Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W20. Looks like some more silicon, I'm gonna give the air intake tract a look over to be sure it's sound. Fuel dilution and TBN look similar, and the viscosity dropped from 8.5 (per this VOA) to 7.1. Filter was another Bosch 3502, I have one more of those to use then a Napa Gold if I still have it that long.

Also this run was done with a Range AFM Disabler and ran only 93 octane from BJ's or 91 from Giant.

[Linked Image]

New report from the middle of this month. Was running RGT 5W30 this round. Fuel dilution jumped, which I wasn't expecting since I went back to my old job in March, so longer commutes along with a trip to Ohio, three trips to the Schuykill Valley/Poconos and a few to the shore and back. Skipped sampling the oil change I did in January, kind of wish I didn't skip it now. Oil in it now is Harvest King 0W20.

[Linked Image]

I think you will have better luck with 20 grade as it doesn't seem to shear as bad. I see fuel dilution issue so that is something that needs addressed but I would run a 20 grade first to see if improves. I would also run an injector cleaner through fuel just in case and injector is dirty.

Back