2016 Honda Gold Wing F6B, ongoing UOA

Bought new in Nov 2018. Sadly, I didn't capture the initial oil change last summer but this Spring, even though it had low miles I did a UOA for curiosity's sake.

The first oil change revealed a noticeable amount of sparkly flakes and debris in the drain pan. Just wanted to get a UOA and see if there's anything concerning going on.

I get it, though. New engine, it's gonna have some gunk for the first couple changes. Still, if rather it be in writing and while she's still under warranty!

Looks like copper is a bit high and there's some fuel in the oil. Viscosity is low but it was actually 10W-30 not 10W-40, for what it's worth.

I've seen other Gold Wing UOA and the copper is normal, with high copper normal for younger engines.

But is the fuel odd? Normal for the GL1800? They don't sound overly concerned so I guess we'll just have wait and see what comes out next time.

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Fuel could have everything to do with when you sampled it. If the bike was good and warm from a real ride and you shut it down and drained it you probably wouldn't have a lot of fuel, IMO. If you took it around the block to warm it up or let it idle to warm up to change the oil this time of year, fuel could be really high.

Originally Posted by Bonz
Fuel could have everything to do with when you sampled it. If the bike was good and warm from a real ride and you shut it down and drained it you probably wouldn't have a lot of fuel, IMO. If you took it around the block to warm it up or let it idle to warm up to change the oil this time of year, fuel could be really high.

Y'know... For my truck samples I always drain after a good long drive but this time I just idled it up to temp from cold and drained it.

I appreciate the wisdom!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HDoilDude

Y'know... For my truck samples I always drain after a good long drive but this time I just idled it up to temp from cold and drained it.

I appreciate the wisdom!

You are welcome, I'm glad there's a good plausible explanation. Change it after a good ride next time and it will be really interesting to see what it comes out like!

You are welcome, I'm glad there's a good plausible explanation. Change it after a good ride next time and it will be really interesting to see what it comes out like!

Agreed! Can't wait to see what it looks like...

Can't believe I didn't follow the same protocol as I always do on the truck!!
smirk2.gif

I'll do another change in 3k/6mos, whichever happens first. I know it can go for longer but on my diesel truck, break-in metals were almost nil after a few shorter-duration changes. Cheap insurance! Plus it's fun/hobby for me.

I'll stretch the intervals on the F6B after a few shorter interval changes.

Thanks (double) again for the advice!

Last edited:
at 57.1 you are still in the 30wt range (needs 56.79) so even with that 1% fuel its still in grade

you only went 13xx miles so that is not far on this sample.

the flash of 355 would indicate its more than 1.0...probably over 1.5 on its way to 2%

which means the susvis is even better

the copper is a touch high for so few a miles, but this isa GW. this sample was for 1% of its life.
still a baby. motor is only 3% used. a baby.

maybe check again at 10k

oh and rule 1 at the stoners report is you dont read the stoners txt report - they cannot even properly identify when an oil is in grade or not

Thanks, appreciate that!!

Do you concur with the notion that idling up to temp rather than riding around to get the motor hot before draining might be the reason for the fuel in the sample?

You said you take your truck out for a good long drive before changing the oil. I think you answered your own question.

I know I didn't make the previous post however absolutely it is the main contributor when idling to bring that big of an engine up to temperature. You have to bring up the engine coolant to temp, you have to bring up the oil, you have to bring up the block and head to temp. An engine is not efficient at idle and any residual fuel is not hot enough to burn off. The fuel injection is probably putting in more fuel than needed because the sensors pick up that the engine is not warm. If the engine never gets up to operating temperature then the mixture never optimizes and it never burns off any residual from the low speed idling. It's like you're double darned.

Agreed!

Exhaust smells rich until you drive it a bit and warm her up.

Just trying to discuss a bit, but obviously I agree.

Cheers
cheers3.gif

sorry been away for a while

idling to temp is about the WORST thing you an do before an oil change....uggg

might as well take your money and set it on fire and snort the ash.

go drive it 20+ miles. stop it and take the uoa right then....NO idling!!!

Originally Posted by sunruh
sorry been away for a while

idling to temp is about the WORST thing you an do before an oil change....uggg

might as well take your money and set it on fire and snort the ash.

go drive it 20+ miles. stop it and take the uoa right then....NO idling!!!

Yep, momentary lapse of sanity with the cycle! Always do this with my truck samples.

Standby for next one at the END of the season!
lol.gif

Have had much smoother shifting and almost no ghost shifts since I have grown accustomed to riding the Wing and with a few thousand on her now.

the honda goldwing motor is THE standard of which all other motors should be judged on
its no hp king, but will out live the owner.
you can use olive oil and as long as you say nice words, that motor will run

i cannot wait for the report, but here is a preview of what it will say.
borederline perfect with a giant yawn at the end

steve

Originally Posted by sunruh
the honda goldwing motor is THE standard of which all other motors should be judged on
its no hp king, but will out live the owner.
you can use olive oil and as long as you say nice words, that motor will run

i cannot wait for the report, but here is a preview of what it will say.
borederline perfect with a giant yawn at the end

steve

Haha, appreciate the prediction, Steve.

And I hope you're right! She's purring along with zero drama.

Last edited:
Back