2016 Ford Taurus - 3.5L V6 (NA) - Quaker State 5w-20 - 6,197 miles

Nothing unusual or surprising. Not thrilled about the flash point. Interesting to see essentially identical viscosities and TBN between the two UOAs. The previous one was Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 0w-20.

10.29.22.jpg

Nice shot of moly-wonder where all the fuel is (allegedly) coming from? Interesting that the viscosity wasn’t affected at all…
I think this can happen if the engine is idled prior to the oil change. Not enough time to effect the viscosity, but enough fuel added to the mix at the very end of the OCI to affect the flashpoint.

I think this can happen if the engine is idled prior to the oil change. Not enough time to effect the viscosity, but enough fuel added to the mix at the very end of the OCI to affect the flashpoint.
Impact on flashpoint is percentage based, so the volume of fuel is the volume of fuel. If you make your oil 3% fuel just idling before an oil change, you have bigger problems.

The cylcone engine series is very robust in terms of wear rates and low contamination.
Consider extending out the OCIs; perhaps 10k miles.

Proof it can be done ... I recently ran my 3.5L n/a Taurus to nearly 12k miles on dino ST oil and got excellent results.

Impact on flashpoint is percentage based, so the volume of fuel is the volume of fuel. If you make your oil 3% fuel just idling before an oil change, you have bigger problems.
I'm just trying to be helpful to the guy. My last UOA I did exactly this. Idled and revved the engine until the temp gauge got up instead of taking it for a drive like I should've. UOA came back with a flashpoint of 380 when it was always >400 for four other UOAs.

I'm just trying to be helpful to the guy. My last UOA I did exactly this. Idled and revved the engine until the temp gauge got up instead of taking it for a drive like I should've. UOA came back with a flashpoint of 380 when it was always >400 for four other UOAs.
I understand, and was not trying to undermine your efforts for being helpful, just pointing out the nature of how dilution works.

Unfortunately, as nice as it would be to connect those two events, as @kschachn would tell you, correlation is not causation. You would have had to sample both before and after that event to be able to definitively blame it on those actions. A history of the equipment doesn't preclude the dilution figure from organically changing, as we've seen with other people's UOA's on here, even ones with no history of a higher level of dilution.

That said, that's a 20F difference between your results and his, which is significant. If Blackstone is telling him he has 1.3% fuel, we know it's much higher, probably >3%. I know I sound like a broken record, but this is why I encourage folks who have fuel dilution concerns (and it's obvious the OP should) to use a lab that tests for fuel using GC.

This car was driven at 75mph for 35 min straight on the highway before the oil change.

The cylcone engine series is very robust in terms of wear rates and low contamination.
Consider extending out the OCIs; perhaps 10k miles.

Proof it can be done ... I recently ran my 3.5L n/a Taurus to nearly 12k miles on dino ST oil and got excellent results.
I will be extending the OCI for sure.

I understand, and was not trying to undermine your efforts for being helpful, just pointing out the nature of how dilution works.

Unfortunately, as nice as it would be to connect those two events, as @kschachn would tell you, correlation is not causation. You would have had to sample both before and after that event to be able to definitively blame it on those actions. A history of the equipment doesn't preclude the dilution figure from organically changing, as we've seen with other people's UOA's on here, even ones with no history of a higher level of dilution.

That said, that's a 20F difference between your results and his, which is significant. If Blackstone is telling him he has 1.3% fuel, we know it's much higher, probably >3%. I know I sound like a broken record, but this is why I encourage folks who have fuel dilution concerns (and it's obvious the OP should) to use a lab that tests for fuel using GC.
That's good advice. I have had to tell many customers when something breaks and they say, "It hasn't been broken for 10 years!" that everything has a moment at which it is good prior to that moment and bad after that moment.

Any recommendations on a lab to use for true fuel dilution numbers?

The high viscosity was what made me think this might be going on. Typically with a flashpoint of 360, you wouldn't see a 5W20 still at 8.37. Thus the hypothesis that the fuel was introduced late in the OCI.

That's good advice. I have had to tell many customers when something breaks and they say, "It hasn't been broken for 10 years!" that everything has a moment at which it is good prior to that moment and bad after that moment.

Any recommendations on a lab to use for true fuel dilution numbers?
Yes, I'd recommend Polaris. If it's convenient, you can get the OAI (Polaris) kits through the AMSOIL website.

Back