2016 Explorer 2.3 EcoBoost spark plugs - 58,434 miles

Just changed the factory plugs today in our Explorer. Quite easy, just had to disconnect a couple vacuum lines and one of the intake tubes. All plugs came out pretty easy, although cylinder #3 seemed just a tad looser than the rest. Anyway, the factory gap should be .027” - .031”. All 4 plugs were between .031” and .033”. Not too bad. The new Motorcraft SP-550 plugs I installed were all bang on .029” out of the box, right in the middle. The old plugs look like they could have gone farther still, aside from a couple being over the recommended gap. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_4348.jpeg
    IMG_4348.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4347.jpeg
    IMG_4347.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 97
Just changed the factory plugs today in our Explorer. Quite easy, just had to disconnect a couple vacuum lines and one of the intake tubes. All plugs came out pretty easy, although cylinder #3 seemed just a tad looser than the rest. Anyway, the factory gap should be .027” - .031”. All 4 plugs were between .031” and .033”. Not too bad. The new Motorcraft SP-550 plugs I installed were all bang on .029” out of the box, right in the middle. The old plugs look like they could have gone farther still, aside from a couple being over the recommended gap. What do you think?
Think you changed 'em at the right interval.

Picture might be a little dark, but they look fairly tan to me. If thats correct, then there pretty good.
Yep, the ceramic is tan. I’m not sure on the recommend replacement mileage, but I think it’s 100k miles? 🤔 I’ve heard others recommending a much shorter interval on the 4-cylinder EcoBoosts though, so that’s what I did.

You did good changing them. What people fail to realize is that when a automaker recommends 100k mile plug replacement that is based on perfect driving situations so the real interval to change can actually be sooner. I have done plugs at 60k that were ready to be replaced due to lots of start/stop city driving and would not have been good at the 100k mile recommend interval....but i've also done plugs at 100k that looked like they could go another 30k+ due to easy highway driving of the vehicle owner. I like to recommend 75k mile plug changes because much past that the wider gaps can be harder on coils. This is not a single rule, it depends on vehicle and spark plug type and driver habits. I must say I was amazed one time doing a tune up on a 2008 Sierra Denali 6.2L with 209k miles. They couldn't remember the last time they had a tune up so asked me to do that as I was already replacing the transmission. The plugs in there were COPPER! Somebody put regular copper plugs where iridium was the spec. They were well worn and the gap was wide as hell but the truck still drove decently--but I know the coils were working very hard.

We have a 2017 Explorer 2.3L EcoBoost and changed the plugs at ~60,000 miles because I was concerned about the plugs getting stuck in the head. It was easy to do and the plugs came out with some dry squeaking. Over all the plugs looked good and the gaps were around .031+/-. The miles were mainly highway driving. The replacement Motorcraft plugs were gapped at around .030+/- out of the box. I adjusted the gap to .027 on the replacement plugs. There is no difference in performance, I didn't expect any with 60,000 miles on the iridium plugs. Easy to do for peace of mind. For the replacement plugs I used anti-seize and reduced the torque by 15%.

Boosted engines are harder on plugs. Some tuned 3.5 ecos will have out of spec gaps in as little as 15k miles.

Yep , 3.5 with tune, got misfire on cyl. 2 after 30kkm, pull the plugs and they were all .044 and I gapped them to.028 before install.

Back