2016 Equinox 2.4

Curious to your thoughts.

2016 equinox 2.4

GM/Dealership changes until 18,350 miles. (twice so split the miles as we probably went off the OLM)

3rd change @ 18,350 mi Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 w/ ac delco filter
4th @ 25,372 (7,022 mi) Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 w/ ac delco filter
5th @ 32,643 (7,271 mi) Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 w/ ac delco filter
6th @ 42,643 (10,000 mi) Gold Castrol bottle (15k marketing) & Mobile 1 filter (20k marketing)
7th @ 47,171 (4,498 mi) Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 w/ ac delco filter
8th @ 54,953 (7,782 mi) Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 w/ ac delco filter
9th @ 62,180 (7,227 mi) Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 w/ ac delco filter
10th @ 67,080 (4,900 mi)
11th TBD Oil has just under 5k on it now.

I've searched the forum and I've read a good bit over this engine/equinox. I haven't done a UOA but i'm thinking of doing it on the next oil change in a week or so. Opinions based off the change history and the bad rep this motor?? I have never loss any oil or had to top it off, 5qts go in and 5 come out, or so I thought, but i'm not realizing that oil could have been trashed long before I got it out.Drives fine and no signs of stress/wear tear are obvious

Thanks or any input.

The internet public chat is dominated by opinionated people some who have agendas. As you see at almost 70k, you are not having problems. So many false ideas are believed about this or that. Repetition of one false idea over and over actually builds a consensus the false idea is true.

Would you think much damage could have been done on the long term intervals of the DI engine? I've read most people have learned to go 4,000-5,000 miles on this engine. I am curious as to how significant going 7,000-10,000 miles before changing could have been for the engine long term.

Originally Posted by Bscott07
Would you think much damage could have been done on the long term intervals of the DI engine? I've read most people have learned to go 4,000-5,000 miles on this engine. I am curious as to how significant going 7,000-10,000 miles before changing could have been for the engine long term.

Edge has shown to hold up pretty good to fuel dilution and shear.

Sleep well and carry on, no harm done.

What bad rep of this motor? This one is pretty bulletproof. You may be thinking about valve timing issues with the pre 2012 engine, but were fixed with a complete redesign in 2012?

I would bet that your dipstick is black, soon after your most recent oil change.
If you are not into removing valve covers of your engine and have done Intake GDI spray cleaners into intakes, then get that dipstick to sport a clear look 1K after an oil change.

That's how I judge mostly clean engines. Been using this M.O. since the 1970s and it works the best (for non-mechanics like me). Multiple badly rusted vehicles that I've owned, have sported a mostly clear dipstick during their last-ever drive to the junkyard 18 years later. It's fine to see that oil black at 4-5K. But not at 1K of an OCI.

..... and please everyone, lets not reply with 'you can't judge an oil by it's color".

Wrong!.......... when the OCIs appear as they do above in this thread, yes you can judge this used oil by it's color
Bscott07...... change that oil every 2K until you see a clear dipstick afterwards. Use name brands that mention cleaning ability on the jug. Use premium trapping oil filters initially. Most can be used for multiple OCIs..... 4K (two OCIs).

Get your new ride's engine clean as possible. Happy New Year to you also.

Last edited:
If a little extra money is not an issue, start doing the 5k changes for peace of mind. Looks like you have done the right thing and no reason to worry or change the plan. You drive it a lot so the 7k are many fully warmed up miles. Change the air filter every 30-50k with AC Delco IMO. Unless it looks clean then don't. Checking the oil often also introduces a little dirt every time. If it uses no oil then check less often.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I would bet that your dipstick is black, soon after your most recent oil change.
If you are not into removing valve covers of your engine and have done Intake GDI spray cleaners into intakes, then get that dipstick to sport a clear look 1K after an oil change.

That's how I judge mostly clean engines. Been using this M.O. since the 1970s and it works the best (for non-mechanics like me). Multiple badly rusted vehicles that I've owned, have sported a mostly clear dipstick during their last-ever drive to the junkyard 18 years later. It's fine to see that oil black at 4-5K. But not at 1K of an OCI.

..... and please everyone, lets not reply with 'you can't judge an oil by it's color".

Wrong!.......... when the OCIs appear as they do above in this thread, yes you can judge this used oil by it's color
Bscott07...... change that oil every 2K until you see a clear dipstick afterwards. Use name brands that mention cleaning ability on the jug. Use premium trapping oil filters initially. Most can be used for multiple OCIs..... 4K (two OCIs).

Get your new ride's engine clean as possible. Happy New Year to you also.

2K ocis? This is nonsense with this maintenance history.

Most people likely have not had the oil changed every 4-5K miles and well over 90% of GM 2.4 are on the road. So I would leave out the wording most people.

Originally Posted by csandste
HyunKia DI engines. No OLM. I divide by 5K.

GM engines. OLM. I usually changed at 20%. Roughly 7K OCI.

My Z71 is at 22% with 6k on the oil … 0w20 M1 EP change was 9 months back, but changed filter at 5k and added a quart of 0w30 to offset DI diluted oil. Figured I can go more of OLM ?

Originally Posted by dave1251

Most people likely have not had the oil changed every 4-5K miles and well over 90% of GM 2.4 are on the road. So I would leave out the wording most people.

Did you just make up that number?

Most of the OLM problems were with the DI version of the 3.6L HF V6, and for that V6, GM recalibrated the OLM to suggest a shorter OCI

The 2.4 is one of GM's better modern engines

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Most of the OLM problems were with the DI version of the 3.6L HF V6, and for that V6, GM recalibrated the OLM to suggest a shorter OCI

The 2.4 is one of GM's better modern engines

Are you conveniently leaving out the class action lawsuit GM just settled for major oil burning on the 2.4? That's what the OP is worried about

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
What bad rep of this motor? This one is pretty bulletproof. You may be thinking about valve timing issues with the pre 2012 engine, but were fixed with a complete redesign in 2012?

My wife has a 2013 which, at about 65000 miles began using 1 qt about every 300-400 miles. It somehow has improved to 1 qt every 1200 miles now at 80,000 miles. The dealer says it is "bad pistons", but not covered under the warrantee.

Our famous internet suggests many have problems with post-2012 models.

I check and add frequently. The repair isn't worth the cost.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing

The 2.4 Eco-Turd is notorious for the rings crapping out and GM absolutely hates honouring the extended warranty, and the dealers only admit to a service bulletin once the clock has run out. GM will if you can brow Beat them into it, cover maybe up to $1,000 of the cost, and that's if you are within days of the warranty expiring.

Once it starts eating oil, it needs a rebuild, bumping the oil up to 5W-40 slows it for a bit.

Garbage engine built by a garbage company that should have been allowed to go bankrupt.

Last edited:
cant believe there are people on here defending this engine. accourding to wiki this engine was NOT completely redesighned but improvements were made to the orig desighn, the timming chains were also very much an issue also besides the oil burning

Back