2015 Triumph Trophy SE - Castrol 10W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought bike new October 2017 in Florida. Rode to Mississippi for first oil change (500ish miles) then across to New Mexico. Changed oil September 2018 with factory recommended Castrol Power 1 4T 10W40 at that time and again this month October 2019. Factory recommends annual or 10000 mile intervals. Basically bike has had Castrol Motorcycle 10W40 since new. Apparently sheared down to about 10W30 per this report if I read it right. Decided to pay for TBN this time, well just because. I ride year round so may try the 20W50 next time but wonder about cold starts in winter. In any case posting report for future reference if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 145
Nice bike. The shear down you see is why I'm running 15W50 in my Tiger 800 right now. I plan on doing a UOA after 6000 miles on the oil.

Rick,

your oil is almost a 20wt. its just 3susvis into the 30s.
30wt range is 56.7954 to 68.2862
but the flash of 385 says the TR maybe more like 0.5 or more

now, does that truely mean anything?
not really, your metals were very low for 3612miles!

cold start depends on how cold for 20w50
over all your motor is very easy on oil

steve

i like a 15-50 real synthetic + the spectro platinum is that a PAO oil, on the cheap you can use mobil I 15-50 a car oil + being a higher viscosity has no bad stuff for bikes + is quite popular. real cheap from walmart.com if not in store.

I think this is the first report ive seen on the Castrol Power 4T. I bought a bunch of it on clearance at AZ earlier in the year. Add packs dont make it look like a stellar oil...but maybe doesnt need them.

I thought there was alot of hype about moly not being good for JASO MA wet clutch applications?

What makes this oil any better than conventional Valvoline 10w40 4T?

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I think this is the first report ive seen on the Castrol Power 4T. I bought a bunch of it on clearance at AZ earlier in the year. Add packs dont make it look like a stellar oil...but maybe doesnt need them.

I thought there was alot of hype about moly not being good for JASO MA wet clutch applications?

What makes this oil any better than conventional Valvoline 10w40 4T?

I'm not personally convinced synthetics are any better in motorcycles that are quick to shear down. A lot of folks go by shifter feel and it seems that a lot of higher performance wet clutch bikes will get notchy shifting around 2k-3k miles, regardless of the oil being synthetic or not.

Whether all of this is an actual indicator of anything? Who knows. Rotella T4 15W40 is still a great MC oil and is probably the cheapest per qt, excluding clearance sales.

Here's the link for my ZRX 1200. Most recent oil change Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin, the one before it Mobil 1 10w40 4T. Basically 5000 miles on each one, 20w50 right in the middle of grade, 4T dropped a half point below grade. Considering the 4T starts out as a very light 40 weight the relative shearing isn't all that much.

This ZRX 1200 is modified with ZZR 1200 cams, ZZR 1200 carbs and JE 12.5 to 1 compression pistons. 145 horses to the rear wheel and 87 foot pounds. TBN was great, I could have run either much longer. Shift quality didn't change for either one.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...il-1-v-twin-20w50-5065-miles#Post5183041

I am sold on Mobil 1 MC specific oils in terms of the overall product with really good additive packages (in my opinion), proven longevity, for $10 a quart at WalMart or less on eBay if you keep your eyes open.

API grades oil on gravity flow in cSt... A 40 grade viscosity should
range between 11.6 to 14.8 cSt in gravity flow... Your oil sheared
down to 10.1 cSt in gravity flow... in other words your oil is flowing
1.5 cSt faster than it was new... that minor difference in gravity
flow did not show up as more wear...

As Blackstone's report states there are no reason to fear the shear...
its harmless because as our oil shears flow increases... increase flow
is harmless because our oil serves as a "wall" only when it is constantly
FLOWING between parts keeping them from touching..

[Linked Image]

When it comes down to it, motorcycle oil "issues" revolve around shift quality. If it thins out too much in a shared sump, the tranny gets balky when it comes to changing gears.

Can't say I've ever heard anyone say "this oil just up and sheared down and didn't continue to lubricate at all, plum messed up the engine".

On the flip side there is a lot of talk about oil shearing and it's absolutely consistent with shift quality wetting the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back