2015 Honda CR-V loud engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
The head does not come off for the repair, just the valve cover. Is that what you are talking about?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4823165/1

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Sorry guys on the no updates. I called them and talked to them after, they keep claiming that the head was weak and cracked upon removal (don't believe it). They ended up replacing the head, VTC actuator, timing chain, timing tensioner, a ton of gaskets and a fuel line elbow.

Car no longer sounds like crap on startup anymore. Runs fine. Just upset that they did what they did/ probably not telling the truth.

Last edited:
newer hondas like taco-yotas are not what they used to be, but still charging $$$$ for reliability they once had!

Originally Posted by JHZR2
It reminds me of a sewing machine crossed with one of my old IDI diesels.

Something isn't right. Though you said that this was while driving down the interstate - and engines do often sound different hot vs cold.

Have you done a UOA to see if there's a major fuel issue?

I'd say something isn't right... some of the noises in the oils diesels are related to injectors. This is a DI engine, no?

No UOA. This is the first DI. But we have owned since new. Has never heard that noise before. Its really bad especially at hot.

Originally Posted by mattd
You've definitely got an issue. Is it still under warranty?

Its at 67,800 miles. Honda powertrain ended at 60,000. Luckily extended warranty was purchased when new.

Originally Posted by Market525
Are there a check engine light? I'm wondering about the VTEC system & such. Have oil change intervals been long? As in, 10,000 mile intervals? Does the car use (consume) oil?
No pending or current CEL. VTEC actuator was the reason the head had to come off. In the process it was damaged. OCIs have been anywhere from 3-6K. Doesn't consume oil except from the time the valve cover was leaking.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Here's some more info on this from another thread 3 mos. ago:

Monday my mom called me and said the CRV wouldn't start. Go over and the battery was leaking acid, no biggie it was a 4 year old battery. Did the 24F upgrade. While I was under the hood I checked the oil level/ the meaningless color of the oil. The oil was a 3/4 of a quart low, the first time this car has ever consumed oil. Then I notice a valve cover leak, and this stems back to the VTC actuator repair from last year. The car has obviously been leaking for a couple months. She just went past the power train warranty and they warranty their work for a year. Its been a year and probably 2 or 3 weeks. I'm guessing she doesn't have any warranties to fall back on? It makes me upset that this new of a car is leaking oil and probably wouldn't be if that actuator would have never been replaced.

And...

When I picked up the car the dipstick tube wasn't even connected to the engine and interior trim pieces around the gear selector weren't put on. Then on top of that the original head of the engine some how got cracked while getting taken out. I'm gonna ask for a goodwill repair, especially since nothing went flawlessly like it should have. It probably has been leaking for a while but its not my car and she doesn't check things like that...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...alve-cover-leak-any-warranty#Post5182429

The head does not come off for the repair, just the valve cover. Is that what you are talking about?

I was told the head was damaged. I remember seeing the engine without anything on it. Could have sworn it was down to the block.

It is defiantly louder at hot, then cold. It just started doing it. I drained the oil and didn't see anything. Level was full. There's also some grinding noises around 2K rpms. Not sure what is going on. Its coming from far right side of the engine (Cylinder 4?). Will have Honda look at it Monday if they have the chance.

Will have Honda look at it Monday if they have the chance.

I'd probably deal with the service manager from the start on this so you don't get the run around. GL and hope it works out. Mondays are norm pretty busy with Wednesdays being better. Ask for their best tech to diagnose and work on it.

Last edited:
Dropped it off this morning. While I was talking to the service writer the shop manager checked the oil level. Everyone turned their heads when I came in knocking. I'm a BITOGer, no dirty or low oil level on my watch
grin.gif

Hope to know some thing soon.

Update:

"ENGINE NOISES.
CAUSED BY
FOUND TWO OF FOUR CAM HOLDER BOLTS SLIGHTLY LOOSE. RETORQUED TO SPEC. NO NOISE PRESENT. "

Any chance the cam was damaged?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Is this the fault of their technicians when they did the head?

Most likely.

On most DOHCs you have to remove the cam bearing bolts and cams to reach the bolts that hold the head onto the engine, so yes those bolts were removed and replaced during head replacement.

Since you didn't drive very far like that it's probably going to be OK, but whenever a shaft is flopping around instead of spinning true you have to think of metal fatigue.

Wow. Never would have guessed that. I too figured it was rod knock. That's some sloppy QC at the dealership.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
How could the tech missed that sound? Sheesh.

It has been a year since the head. Probably under torqued it and it wiggled loose.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
How could the tech missed that sound? Sheesh.

It has been a year since the head. Probably under torqued it and it wiggled loose.

The tech probably "snuggled up" those bolts with a small impact gun and they were not tight enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back