2015 Forester XT oil catch can recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Warranty just ended for my Subie and I was looking to put an oil catch can and I do not know what to look for when shopping for one.

I have the FA20DIT engine (similar to 2015+ WRX), and I would like to have one that doesn't flash or stand out too much when I open the hood.

Any recommendations?

I would try a Subie forum, they could possibly give you advice more specific to your car.

I have an Elite Engineering catch can on my car Impala. It's a direct injected engine, so I think it's worthwhile to reduce the amount of oil vapour going past the intake valves. Is your car direct injected? If not, the port injectors would keep the intake valves clean, and a catch can wouldn't really help anything.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
I would try a Subie forum, they could possibly give you advice more specific to your car.

I have an Elite Engineering catch can on my car Impala. It's a direct injected engine, so I think it's worthwhile to reduce the amount of oil vapour going past the intake valves. Is your car direct injected? If not, the port injectors would keep the intake valves clean, and a catch can wouldn't really help anything.

Yes, it is turbo direct injection

The Elite Engineering can is nicely made, and can be had in different finishes and colours. Seems to work well at condensing oil out of the pcv vapour. Kind of pricey though, for what it is.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Hello everyone,

Warranty just ended for my Subie and I was looking to put an oil catch can and I do not know what to look for when shopping for one.

I have the FA20DIT engine (similar to 2015+ WRX), and I would like to have one that doesn't flash or stand out too much when I open the hood.

Any recommendations?

How common is CBU on those engines?
I would rather go with low NOACK, ACEA C3 oils such as Mobil1 ESP 5W30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Hello everyone,

Any recommendations?

How common is CBU on those engines?
I would rather go with low NOACK, ACEA C3 oils such as Mobil1 ESP 5W30.

Definitely less common than VW/Audi, but still.

My last fill was actually Mobil 1 ESP! Now I have some Rotella Multi Vehicle in there.

Hello everyone,

Any recommendations?

I recommend an air oil separator by IAG. I have one on my 625whp STI street car. I had it installed when I was originally stage 2 with the factory TMIC. When I pulled off the TMIC for an install months later, the intercooler was bone dry, which it wasn't before. Lots of high HP and street cars run this air oil separator and it's also maintenance free unlike oil catch cans where you have to inspect and dump out the oil if its full.

https://www.iagperformance.com/2015-Subaru-Forester-XT-Engine-Air-Oil-Separators-s/7040.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back