2015 Ford Powerstroke - Delo CJ4 5W40 synthetic - 114K miles

UOA1.JPG

Engine has a bypass filter and the full flow filter was changed every click of the OLM, about 8000 miles.

UOA done by NAPA and oil analysis indicated a "normal" condition.

Last edited:
I think I went too long. This oil at 18K of use had 29 ppm of Fe. Go another 6K to 24K of use and the Fe jumps from 29 ppm to 49 ppm. If it were going up on a linear basis it would have only been 39 ppm.

Actually it looks pretty darn predictable to me.

Each OCI is roughly 2ppm/1k miles or a bit less for Fe; even this last one.
2.0, 1.6, 1.7, 1.5, 1.8, 2.2, 2.0
Your Fe wear is no worse at 25k mi OCIs than at 7.5k mile OCIs.
Remember that there will always be variation; that's what is "normal" in a typical process. Your variation is very tight; not a lot of change.
Ya can't ask for more consistent performance than that!

The Al is rising a tad, but again, very predictable and reasonably steady.
The other metals are so low they are noise.
The fuel and vis are fine.
The soot is low.

I'd look at increasing the OCI to 30k or 35k. If you see the Fe wear jump up to 3ppm/1k miles, then that might be a limit you'd consider for an oil change.

I think I went too long. This oil at 18K of use had 29 ppm of Fe. Go another 6K to 24K of use and the Fe jumps from 29 ppm to 49 ppm. If it were going up on a linear basis it would have only been 39 ppm.
That’s why I am curious about the hours as well. Increased hours could explain the small spike in wear metals. As dnewtons said though. Good wearing engine. I plan to track my miles and hours per oci just so that I have 2 points of reference for wear pattern. Nice Report. Thanks for sharing

I hope other synthetic CJ oil will perform as well. I am on my last oil change with Delo 5W40 CJ-4. I may have some Rotella T6 CJ-4 then it's on to Ford approved CK-4.

Fuel dilution is at 2.5%, and the oil has dropped out of the 40 grade. That may be a good reason to change it. Does Ford allow 30-grade in the Powerstroke?

Iron wear and TBN are good, so wouldn't trigger an oil change.

Fuel dilution is at 2.5%, and the oil has dropped out of the 40 grade. That may be a good reason to change it. Does Ford allow 30-grade in the Powerstroke?

Iron wear and TBN are good, so wouldn't trigger an oil change.
AH,

Factory fill on the 6.7 ps is 10w30 motorcraft diesel oil

Actually it looks pretty darn predictable to me.

Each OCI is roughly 2ppm/1k miles or a bit less for Fe; even this last one.
2.0, 1.6, 1.7, 1.5, 1.8, 2.2, 2.0
Your Fe wear is no worse at 25k mi OCIs than at 7.5k mile OCIs.
Remember that there will always be variation; that's what is "normal" in a typical process. Your variation is very tight; not a lot of change.
Ya can't ask for more consistent performance than that!

The Al is rising a tad, but again, very predictable and reasonably steady.
The other metals are so low they are noise.
The fuel and vis are fine.
The soot is low.

I'd look at increasing the OCI to 30k or 35k. If you see the Fe wear jump up to 3ppm/1k miles, then that might be a limit you'd consider for an oil change.

Fuel dilution is at 2.5% which seems like a high value to me. Maybe because it's diesel fuel mixed in vs gasoline it's not so bad.

Looks like that T6 performed better to me... ;)

Also, something doesn't add up, or I'm reading it wrong. Your last OCI goes from 108,230 to 114,000 miles, that is no where close to 24k miles on the oil?

The the oil report indicates he isn't changing the oil at the various sampling intervals, just the filter(s) - except when he changed types of oil.

Last edited:
Fuel dilution is at 2.5% which seems like a high value to me. Maybe because it's diesel fuel mixed in vs gasoline it's not so bad.
My 6.7 always has dilution numbers in this range. If you use a program like forescan there is a value where the computer predicts the amount of dilution the oil has. Mine always comes back about 1 point lower than the prediction. This makes me think that Ford is aware of the dilution issue, they track it and adjust the olm based on it and other factors. My olm has always gone to 10k so apparently these numbers are not at concern levels.

Back